Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » STATIC!!!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: STATIC!!!!!!
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! If I find the inventor of static cling, I'll strangle him with my burnt piece of film from tonight. [evil]

I had to move two films tonight temporarily and run them in different theatres that before. I start playing them and about 30 mins later I hear film dropping to the floor. I run to that projector and sure enough, The Missing burned. Lost about 3 feet of it in the 1st reel. I radio for assistance and the problem gets fixed. Only to find that it is still pulling layer after layer to the brain. I had to get a concession worker to watch it while I checked on my other movies. I get to the other moved film and what do you know, sBad Santa is staticy too. I saved that one before it could get tangled up. I ended up staying with Bad Santa till the end and the concession worker stayed with The Missing till the 5th reel when it finally smoothed out.

My question: WHY [Smile] did this happen????
HOW [Smile] can I remedy it for future moves?

Also, I noticed that there was a noticable hump on one section of the film and when it passed the payout arm, it started pulling the film. How does this "hump" happen and how can it be relieved?

Thanks

Richard

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-30-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmguard!!!!!!!

Using it will eliminate your static cling problems!!!!!
Mark

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of platters do you have? Probably Christie. That is why I don't like Christie platters. With strong platters, static is NEVER and issue. The film will run perfectly every time even with a lot of static. With Christie's, the static causes the control arm on the center-feed to jerk back and forth causing the film to be thrown.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Guard is a definite help. [thumbsup]

I'd also say that you should monitor the humidity level of the booth - too dry and you'll get more static than you want to think about. Humidifiers are good to have when the air is dry.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, they are Speco LP-270 platters

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

Ask your manager to order FilmGaurd for you. It's on the approved list of booth supplies, only you can't get it from CPI anymore, from what I've been told. They can order it from another one of our suppliers tho...

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With strong platters, static is NEVER and issue.
I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.

I run strong platter and static does not usually cause a problem but it can cause a big problem.

If there is enough static to cause the film to jump over the outside keepers on the brain, it will either cause the brain arm to be stuck open or closed. In turn either speeding up the platter or stopping it.

Also, if you motor is not adjusted right and the static is causing the brain arm to move rapidly it will toss the print.

Did you ever get any Filmguard Richard? If so just run it through a cleaner and it should take care of the static.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the Speco. They don't handle clings very well, do they?

(As for the Christie platters: au contraire, I've never had one jam due to layers of film sticking together, since the brain pulls the film upward as it winds off, which seems to do the trick as far as separating any static clings. Now yes, they can surge forward if the control arm is jerked suddenly, and that can and will throw the print - but that's a different problem, I say.)

Here is something that may help with the Speco platters. Get one or two small round magnets that are 1/4 inch or so thick and place them inside the doughnut of film. As the film pays out it will hit these barriers and have to jump over them - providing a little tug which is quite effective in separating clings before they hit the brain and cause jams.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-01-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, you probably have older style LP270s with only one roller on the takeup elevator, right? Two at the top and one that moves up and down? Those takeup with greater tension than the newer design with two rollers on the elevator. The increased tension causes the film to wrap tighter and bulge inward at the opening in the ring.

Regardless your problem is static and yes FilmGuard will take care of it. However to specifically answer your question WHY the bulge in your film aggravates your situation causing more layers of film to pull into the brain it is literally because of that bulge and the way for that one inch how the film can more easily "grab" the next layer of film via static and bring it into the brain. Besides the FilmGuard recommendation, you should get rid of those bent up center rings you are using. You know, the kind with the big 1-2 inch gaping hole and tall pins of which you grab to remove it from the roll when threading. Those rings are absolute [bs] Have your tech order you some of SPECO's current rings that look similar in design to the Christie rings. There are pictures in the SPECO LP280 review on this site.

The Christie platter by it's design can handle static better than a platter such as a Strong which pulls the film straight out of the roll. That slight twist upward makes all the difference, as since the film is pulling off at an angle, the static has to be much higher for the inner layer of film to be able to grasp the next layer of film. However when static IS that high, if the platters are not timed properly (as Tom's most likely are not properly calibrated), then you've got a nice print toss on your hands. So when running Christie's, just calibrate the thing properly (tip: use the instructions on this website under the TIPS section, not what is in the Christie manual) and you won't have any more problems. If static is present, even if you don't have a media cleaning machine, literally wiping FilmGuard onto the edge of the print as it sits on the platter will stop about 90% of the static too. Detailed instructions on the proper way to do this with just a paper towel are enclosed with the bottle.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I have done on the Speco platters is place a 1 inch round core between the stop and the controle fingers so when the fingers open up they stop not allowing a big gap to pull the film layers into the brain. You will find those newer rings to be very welcome in the booth. They do prevent that bulging problem.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-01-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one and only Richard Greco wrote:
OMG! If I find the inventor of static cling, I'll strangle him with my burnt piece of film from tonight.

If you knew all of the effort and time that went into inventing static cling, perhaps you'd feel differently. When John Pytlak invented static cling he only wanted to make the world a better place by thwarting would-be print thieves with a powerful **ZZAAPP!!** when they tried to steal the print.

Ouch.

Jeff Klump
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 02:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Klump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another option to go along with film guard is turning down the A/C in the booth. If you keep the temperature low you'll help prevent the cause of static all together. We keep ours at 62 during the day so even if 16 projectors are running at the same time it stays cool.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-01-2003 04:03 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Static cling? I hate that. In Anacortes I have to either take my shoes off and run around in stocking feet to prevent a static discharge when I touch the projector or dump a couple of cups of water on the carpet around the projector and platter.

Two weeks ago, I drew an arc off the computer case in the booth that was strong enough to blow the computer into the reboot mode. The charge emitted from my fingers was about 3/8ths of an inch.

It irritates me when I get zapped by static discharge when I start the projector.

However, I would not recommend the water thing to anyone because if there is piss-poor grounding of the equipment in the booth, you could get yourself electrocuted.

I even sprayed Film Guard on the floor around the projection station. That didn't help. All it did was make the carper slicker than snot on a brass doorknob.

Although Film-Guard is a marvelous product, it was not designed for that purpose. [Smile]

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 06:01 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a quick fix, I do as Paul suggested; pour a coffee mug of boiled water directly underneath the platters. Our floors are linoleum and it has always fixed the problem immediately.

The long term fix is best achieved by acquiring a 'sling' off your a/c guys and testing the relative humidity in your booth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think between 50-60% is ideal.

As for film guard, you can't argue with the product if you get approval for its purchase on a regular basis.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 11:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though Kodak VISION Color Print film has a conductive anti-static layer on the back side, static charge still needs a PATH to ground to be fully discharged. Platters with a PAINTED surface (like the Speco) may not have enough conductivity to provide that path to ground, so the static charge can build up on on the film. Definitely keep the relative humidity near the ideal 50 to 60 percent RH range --- the film will wind better (less curl) and the moisture in the air provides additional conductivity. Treat non-conductive platter surfaces, plastic rollers, and carpeting with a conductive anti-stat like "Static Guard", "Endust for Electronics", "Staticide", etc.:

http://www.aclstaticide.com/01/index.html

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/892692114.Ch.r.html

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g15032.html

Use an EVAPORATIVE humidifier to add needed moisture to the air. Do NOT use a vaporizer or ultrasonic humidifier that sprays or mists water into the air.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: