Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ramping up projector speed to get more Sessions in... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ramping up projector speed to get more Sessions in...
Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 05:24 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

I saw a movie in one of the local theatres tonight and I am 99% sure that they had ramped up the projector speed to make the session run faster. Now I'm not talking a small amount, it seemed almost ludicrous at times to hear the Audio. The movie was Elf, and if you've seen it you will know that the voices are already at a high pitch, but the speed up this theare did was absolutely ludicrous.

My questions are...

-Is this a widespread practice?
-If it is, Whats an acceptable amount?
-Do you think its ethical? I mean I felt ripped off having to see the movie this way. With Cinemas already battling the DVD/Video Game battle, is this another blight on the already crappy presentations that we see these days?

This may be in the wrong forum, if it is I apologise. I'm just trying to see if this is another nail in the coffin of Film/cinema.

Regards
Steve Brown

|  IP: Logged

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it widespread? I doubt it - most equipment installed in theatres today would not give you the option to raise or lower the speed. But they can sometimes go off-speed of their own accord. If you noticed this, I'd mention it.

If it was done on purpose, I wouldn't call it ethical. But take a look at this: www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm/bookshelf/3_ettow3.htm
It's an essay from the old silent days, when such practices were considered normal. I especially like the part which discusses cutting footage out of a print to make it fit the program length. Those were the days.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-29-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with Peter; most equipment wouldn't allow the speed to be changed. The only 'common' exception I can think of is a older 35/70mm projector with the option to increase the frame rate to 30fps.

I have never noticed this done on purpose, but if someone did, I'd say it was certainly unethical. I have seen where a few people chopped out a large section of the ending credits to save time. One instance was during "Superman."

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-29-2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, John! Im going to go hack off every other frame of the matrix credits now.

j/k [Big Grin]

I wonder what that would sound like?

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 06:50 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to vary the speed of motors in professional tape decks by powering them from a variable frequency audio oscillator. The oscillator fed an audio power amplifier (with appropriate power output to run the capstan motor) and the audio amplifier output fed the motor. Run the oscillator at frequencies >60Hz and the motor runs faster, set the oscillator frequency <60 Hz and the motor runs slower. This could be done with a MP projector, but the amplifier would probably need to be in the 300 W class.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-30-2003 08:23 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good idea, John! Im going to go hack off every other frame of the matrix credits now.

Mike, why stop at the THE MATRIX credits? Talk about a film that needs to have "padding" removed! Those old projectionists really had the right idea....grab that splicer and fit that sucker into your schedule! heh heh. And believe me, they would have no trouble chopping out huge sections of THE MATRIX which are not only irrelevent, but freakin unintelligble. As Mr. Richardson said. I can't remember the time when I have seen a production on the screen that would not be benefited by eliminating footage. Padding operates tremendously to the damage of the show.... How right he was. Come to think of it, there are LOTS of films that could benefit from Mr. Richardson's approach to film projection.

You know how when you're sitting in the theatre and the picture goes out of focus or is misframed, the audience yells, "Projectionist....Projectionist!"? (as if there is anyone up there -- better they should yell, "Automation....Automation.") Well many, MANY times I sit and watch a film and want to scream, "Editor....Editor!" for the same reason. Coincidently, I just watched MATRIX RELOADED with some friends and throughout the film wondered if they actually forgot to hire an editor, to say nothing of a script writer who wasn't on crack. Some of those kung-fo type fight sequences seemed to go on and on for half the film.

As much as today the studios execs would have brain hemorages if theatres edited their films, still you have to admire the old dudes' dedication to making the show look the best. The guy is talking about hours and hours of prep to clean the film, do their editing thing so they don't have to speed it up. Real showmanship, albeit a little twisted when it comes to hacking up the feature.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-30-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy are some of you naive. Even back in the 70s and 80s, I knew of a theatre just outside of Baltimore that, with ordinary Century projectors, used slightly larger motor pullies to speed up the shows. Nobody EVER called them on it.

As to modern projectors...Any that use a motor controller has the "flexibliity" to alter the proper projected speed. Even with the good old Simplex and Century projectors one can alter the pullies (motor pulley is the easiest) to increase the speed, if they were so inclined...however...on a Simplex a simple change from the 18-tooth pulley to a 19-tooth would result in a 5.5% increase or just over 25fps.

Now, of course, with a changeover theatre...the projectionist/manager can just "play editor" on the last show to leave early...while I've never done it...I do know of others that have. Every industry has its low-life.

Steve

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 12:34 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The General Cinema Blue Star in Watchung NJ was a 4-plex that speeded everything up. I walked out of Set It Off when I realized 10 minutes in that it was speeded up. (Hint: First scene after the opening title, a party's going on, "Flash Light" by Parliament is on the soundtrack.)

Thankfully this theater was closed in 1998, torn down and replaced by a Kohl's apparel store. Shed no tears.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 02:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one arthouse/rep venue I worked at which shall remain nameless, we showed Seven Samurai one night. The shows always began at 7.30pm, and the evening usually concluded with a pint in the pub before we all got our respective trains home.

All pubs and bars in England stop serving alcohol at 11pm (it's the law). Seven Samurai runs 195 minutes, so it doesn't take a genius to work out that we'd be cutting it a bit fine that night. I was resigned to abstention for that evening and laced up reels 1 and 2 ready to go. Then my boss came in and asked if I'd turned the speed up. 'There shouldn't be any need to', I replied, '...we haven't been showing any silents recently.' 'I don't mean that', replied the boss. 'This fookin' Japanese pile of poncy chickenshit's going to keep us here past closing time if we don't do something about it.' He then proceeded to turn the inverters on both machines up to 30fps!

I protested a little bit, pointing out that this was one of London's leading arthouse venues (allegedly), that a lot of the customers were very knowledgable film buffs and that we'd surely get complaints. The boss replied that he'd been showing Seven Samurai at 30fps for years and no-one had noticed! 'The Japanese talk in high-pitched voices and run around all the time anyway,' he explained. 'No-one will know the difference.'

He was right - they didn't! We had one complaint only, which was that the subtitles did not stay on the screen long enough for the customer to read them!

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cinema I visited last year had a Kineton I think with a fps control on the side. They ran allways at the upper limit. Any faster & the dialogue wasn't in sync.
One extra session per day.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Favel wrote:

quote:
Any faster & the dialogue wasn't in sync.

How would frame rate affect sync?

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my small-town theatres had a back-up generator which was run once a month. One night after drinking a little too much beer, I raised the generator's frequency from 60 hz. to 62.5 hz. to see how much it would affect the running time. It shortened it about 5 minutes. The air conditioning seemed to work better, too. Think how much a large circuit could reduce its payroll and utilities if it did this!

Distributors might need to send frame-rate checkers with their customer checkers to see that projection speed is in order.

The venerable Fox in Detroit installed a variable-frequency drive (VFD) to enable them to vary the frame rate. Their intent wasn't to reduce the payroll or utilities, however, but to easily accommodate the proper frame rate (16 - 24 -30) of whatever they were showing, most of which are classics. The VFD also provided a gentle start-up.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-01-2003 09:22 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Very slowly. [Smile]

If you were to thread your sound head 20 frames ahead, having sound 1/24 second (~50ft) before the picture, you'd only have 1/48 second (~25ft) by the time you hit 48fps. Of course you'd never notice a change in sync since you'd be, rightly so, complaining about the picture speed and high pitch.

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm afraid I can't see how frame rate could affect sync at all.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How would speeding up the frame rate affect digital sound? Would it become higher pitched the way optical would, or would the digital drop out if it wasn't being read at the proper speed?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: