Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex PR1050 Film Trap

Author Topic: Simplex PR1050 Film Trap
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 12:52 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most 1050's I have met have a one piece film trap that is removed by turning a single flat-head screw on the outboard side and pulling the trap out. We have one that has a two-piece trap. The actual film trap is mounted to the projector as described above. But attatched to that, with two allen screws, is the mount for the aperture changer. (This is normally part of the trap on every Simplex I have seen.)

This type of trap/aperture changer setup is not illustrated in the 1050 manual on this site. Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have a parts list for this type of trap?

I am asking because part of the mechanism that adjusts the tension bands has broken. I will try to describe this as best I can. On the one-piece film traps that I am familiar with, the knob that you turn to adjust the tension turns a shaft, right? Well, on this film trap, that knob is connected to a shaft on the outer part of the trap. This shaft mates with a shaft on the inner part of the trap. The piece on the inner shaft that mates witht the piece on the outer shaft is what broke. I don't know how. But now we cannot adjust the trap tension.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-28-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
look in the 1060 manual and order the tension adjustment from that manual. I have never seen one were they added an extension to the gate for a changer. Is this some modification or something. how old is your 1050 head?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 09:11 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know how old the head is. Also don't know if this is some modification or an original part. I can post the serial number tonight if that will help.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-28-2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its best to take a digital photo and then e-mail it to Paul Sanchez at Strong to get the proper part numbers. We recently had a go around with Strong parts who insisted thay had sent the only part it could be...then we sent a digital photo and violla....they sent the correct part.
Mark @ CLACO

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a TU2000 turret. Try page 17 of the TU2000 manual in the downloads section for a picture. Looks like the shaft part number is P-4074. It is possible your older head was retrofitted for this turret.

Edit: I see know the inner shaft is broke. The manuals get vague around this point. Best to contact Strong but I beleive the part number for the extension shaft is P-9831 and the tension shaft (inner) is P-4076. Pg. 33 in the PR1060 manual.

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you have an early version befor they started with the newer casting that incorperated the aperature motor . The extention piece is just that to incorperate the aperature changer. Remove the two allen screws and you will be able to get to the screw to remove the trap . It will then be just like the earlier version 1014 1008 etc .I have encountered this on olny a few machines just as strong was starting to redesign the aperature changer on the 1050
Hope it helps

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said:
quote:
Its best to take a digital photo and then e-mail it to Paul Sanchez at Strong to get the proper part numbers.
OK, I took some pictures. Now, how do I get in touch with Paul?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-14-2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't get his address, send it to mailmanager@strongint.com asking for it to be forwarded to Paul Sanchez (there's more than one Paul there).

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you can't get his address, send it to mailmanager@strongint.com asking for it to be forwarded to Paul Sanchez.
I did that over a week ago. So far no response. How long should I give it? Any other suggestions?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-30-2004 06:06 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1876, A.G. Bell was granted a patent for a device called the "telephone". Magically, it allows you to speak to people who are far away from where you are. You might want to try to locate one of these apparatuses. Strong is a modern company - they also have these fascinating long-distance-talking devices.
 -

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try paul.sanchez@btn-inc.com. If that doesn't work, email pat.moore@btn-inc.com. Or ask Mark, it seems that he knows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: