Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Analog Soundtrack - MONO ?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Analog Soundtrack - MONO ??
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have a 'Booth Help Sheet" on "How to ID Digital Sound Formats"

In the ANALOG SOUNDTRACK section is says:
" Wavy lines: When both wavy lines look identical to each other, then the sound is in mono."

My question is: Why does both the lines have to be identical? Do different things run of different lines? Why not just one wavy line??

( I dont know much about this so feel free to answer in novice terms) [Razz]

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-28-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially the two lines represent left and right sound. If they are different it is becasues there are signals that are spacific to the left and the right with the comon wave frequency that would appear in both left and right channels bein sent to the center channel and the frequencies for the surrounds I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what the frequencies were called for the surrounds but for the sake of the explanation they are negative frequencies that are mixed with the center frequencies and the processor seperates them. .

Years ago before stereo became common place I have seen prints that only used one line right down the middle

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, it's more a matter of standardization than anything else. They COULD use a single, wider track - I have run such older tracks and the stereo head had no trouble with them.

There was a reissue of Citizen Kane in 1991 which (apparently) used the original printing element of the mono track, if I recall it right. Oddly, for part of one of the early reels, one side of this track was blacked out, who knows why - maybe the negative got pinhole damage or something, and this was their way of correcting it. A mono head presumably wouldn't have a problem with this, other than a drop in level. But my stereo processor didn't like this at all, and went haywire. I would've expected to hear sound from one side only, but instead it chose to put the sound front-center, with a delayed reverb coming from both side channels - very disconcerting. Perhaps one of our experts in surround matrixing can explain this.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-28-2003 02:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, just because the funny little wavy lines look similar doesn't mean the movie is mono. You may be looking at a quiet section with little sound or only dialog. Check various spots of the movie to make sure.

A mono analog soundtrack is the same as a mono CD. There are still left and right tracks being output, but they are both exactly the same. If even one digit on the left or right track was different than the data on the other track, you'd have a stereo CD, though I doubt you would be able to tell by listening to it.

What you could do with a print is have the right track be English and the left track be French (for those crazy Canadians... Seriously, why French? Why not some other language? ANY other language!). If you play it to an American audience, just turn off all but the right amp but route it to the center speaker. If you are playing it to a French audience, turn on only the left amp and do the same thing. That would be sooooo useful with all of today's mono prints.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-28-2003 02:43 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some mono formats had two variable area tracks ("bilateral") which were recorded out of phase. I am not sure, but I think it was by 90 degrees and during playback the phase was shifted again on one of the channels. This was an early form of noise reduction.

Peter - the reader was probably not aligned correctly and the solar cell on the "blind" side picked up some of the other channel`s soundtrack (probably out of phase on top of that) and messed the matrix decoder up. You could have diminished the sonic damage by pushing the "mono" button. This would also apply the Academy curve which filters off all the nasty HF content on older optical tracks.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-28-2003 03:58 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My question is: Why does both the lines have to be identical? Do different things run of different lines? Why not just one wavy line??

Have a look at the bottom of page 2 and top of page 3 of the 'What are the sound formats on 16mm film?' thread on the Film Handler's Forum. Some time ago I posted pictures of just a few of the optical track formats which have been used in the past. All of these tracks are mono, and while these examples are on 16mm all of these tracks could be, and all but two certainly have been, used on 35mm. You don't have to stop at two bias lines.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 04:30 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I've seen 4 on a bizarre Swedish fiml we ran during the EIFF one year.... Kinda threw us at first.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-28-2003 06:58 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AGA optical recorder that was popular in Sweden did record with four tracks to help reduce distorsion.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate, to sum up what others have said, I think it comes down to:
(1) Labs use the same equipment to print mono tracks as stereo tracks, for efficiency;
(2) The dual-bilateral (i.e., two tracks, each with modulation on both sides) track scheme has advantages of lower distortion and better tracking which apply to mono as well.

The "Citizen Kane" print I ran last year was similar to what Peter described, a dual-unilateral (or RCA duplex?) track with Rt missing most of the time, but not all of the time. It came and went, leading me to think this was somehow intentional, since the (presumably original) leaders said "Regular Standard Track / Play At 6 dB Above Average RKO Level". If anyone has more information on the nature of this and Orson Welles' intentions, I'd be most interested. There wasn't (and shouldn't be) a problem playing this back on stereo equipment as Lt and Rt are simply summed to center. Mono tracks should never be played back through a stereo format due to the noise reduction which would act as an expander.

The print of "Kane" we got this year, however, was standard dual-bilateral mono. I think the leaders still had the "+6 dB" recommendation, though.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-28-2003 09:09 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AGA? I thought they made cookers! Come to think of it, the AGA cooker was Sweedish, wasn't it. There's no connection surely, is there?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-28-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AGA made studio and projection equipment but left the business in the 1950's. I saw one of the recorders in a laboratory storeroom a few years ago.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 09:52 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? Look at the likes of Husqvarna & Volvo.THey make a lot more products than chainsaws and old peoples cars.......

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-28-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly, some of the big Japaneese corporations make just about everything, so it's possible I suppose.

Don't see much made in Sweeden, the Bollinder engine is the other one that springs to mind. About 75% of manufactured goods that I buy today are actually made in China, whatever the name on them.

Pete, I've just started a part time projection job in a place that's serviced by Omnex, a long way from your part of the world though.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a print of "Smurfs and the Magic Flute" (1980) for one of our kiddie shows a couple years back, and it had the single, WIDE track for the analog track. Played in Stereo, it sounded horrible, with harsh HF coming from the surrounds when the sound got loud. Played in mono, it sounded fine, with everything coming from the center channel.

=TMP=

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 12:21 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the earlier days of optical film recording, quite a number of different formats were used. In my own personal opinion, one of the very best was the bilateral variable-area (single-line) used by RCA, and it was capable of producing stupendous sound recordings with high output and solid clean deep lows; mono of course. This is commonly seen on both 16mm and 35mm prints older prints, as mentioned by Darryl in his post. Thousands of features world-wide were done in this system.

Such prints, if reproduced on a custom sound system or one of the better theatre systems all-tweaked-up properly such as the Century/Altec tube systems circa-1950s, are capable of producing sound so good that on hearing it you’d think you were listening to a mag track.

During the entire period from about 1930 until the switch over to mag film recording, it was a fact that optical recordings on 35mm film was potentially the best recording system if done properly since at sound speed film runs at about 17ips, better than tape at 15ips. Of course many excellent master recordings on 16” transcriptions at 33-1/3 rpm also survive and can be heard on the many reissue CDs produced by Rhino and other labels, after being carefully reproduced with special styli and run thru the Cedar noise-reduction system.

The “Gold Diggers” films are an example of very good surviving 30s-era recordings. In fact I have a “Disco-LP” of the Lullaby On Broadway big dance number, about 10 minutes on a 12” LP at 45-rpm. Amazing. A bit surprising for this to have turned up as a disco issue but apparently lotsa folks liked it.

Citizen Kane and Yankee Doodle Dandy are excellent examples of RCA sound at its best, and Yankee won the Academy Award for Best Sound... you can hear how good it was/is by picking up the DVD and reproduce thru the best system you can find.

Sometimes in older features you will see several different optical formats appearing as it goes along. One example is “The Day the Earth Stood Still.” There is no particular “why” to this other than that different optical recorders happened to be used for various parts of the optical sound negative.

Peter Mork recalls seeing a print with “one side of the track blacked out.” I cannot say for sure without being able to look at the print, but it could have been that a section was recorded in the “unilateral variable-area” system. This is often seen in features from the 30s and 40s. Nothing has been blacked out, it’s just what that system looks like on the prints.

Michael mentions tracks recorded out of phase. There also were some “push-pull” recordings, a RCA system, but it didn’t catch on too much. Soundheads were produced with a switch for “PP” or “Normal” and a special photo-electrical cell was required.

Long out of print, the Audio Cyclopedia by Howard M. Tremaine has a meaty chapter on optical film recording with lots of pictures. It’s heavy going technically, as is the entire book; but remains one of my most cherished reference volumes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: