Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hum in sound, looking for small fm transmitter

Author Topic: Hum in sound, looking for small fm transmitter
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive got my outdoor screen setup, and the booth complete with platter. Ran some stuff and looks really good. However I do have a hum in the sound system. The setup is a cp50 with a smart showman monitor. I have a cable running to my deck outside and listen to sound via headphones(dont want to disturb the neighbors). Problem is this hum especially noticable during the quiet parts of a film. Id rather have a small fm transmitter instead of using wires but havent found an affordable solution. I dont need much power as the deck Im watching from is right outside the booth window. Cheapest thing Ive seen in a ramsey fm25 for nearly $200. Probably much more power than I need. Any ideas on the hum and/or transmitter? Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2003 03:19 PM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your sound rack all on the same phase? or else check your ground

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-27-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, an FM transmitter is not going to fix your problem. More then likely, you have a ground loop happening between the processor and projector. Make sure that the shields to the cable are only connected at the processor end, and that nothing is thouching them. Also, make sure you are not running them parallel to any AC lines running the machine.

JJ

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that the shield wire of the cable going to the solar cell is NOT connected at the soundhead end of the cable.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't say when the hum problem emerged..has it always been there, or just since you added one component or another. One embarrasingly elementary question--are you running incandescent exciters and if so are they on well filtered DC?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-28-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all of the D.I.'s I've been to in this area use Ramsey transmitters but mainly the deluxe model. The others in the mountain states are using FM exciters. All are broadcasting in stereo and most go through either USL or Smart processors. All of these locations have top notch sound quality.

Mark @ CLACO

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-28-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the ground loop theory. It could be caused by something as simple as Ken mentioned.

A situation I was once confronted with was the audio shielded cable was run through EMT that was physically attached to the sound head as well as the amplifier equipment rack. The shield of the audio cable was not grounded in the soundhead but it still hummed until the EMT was separated from the sound head.

BTW, are you using an AC exciter supply or a DC exciter supply?

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi !

Check out the "technical note 101" from Rane, they give a lot of tips to cancel or reduce the ground loop and hum problems.
For me the Smart Showman 4 booth monitor is not the best I ever seen: I dislike the idea to pass the center processor audio signal and the center speaker wires trought the monitor. (For thoses they din't know this monitor, it offer the possibility to use the internal amplifier as an emergency amplifier to "feed" the center stage speaker with the center audio signal from the audio processor, in case of all power amplifier failure) It seems to me that this monitor could bring somes troubles to You.
Are the amplifier audio shield connected to the audio shield of the processor ? that could be a sourcce of ground loop.
Remember that the shield should be connected at one point. (In case the processor has unbalanced audio outputs and the power amplifier use balanced audio inputs, the shield of the audio cable must be connected only at hte amplifier side.

Past Year we has a special setup for a film festival: All the power amplifiers was behind the screen: We runned an multipairs cable from the projection booth to the screen and all outputs channels from the cinema processor was balanced and ground-lifted with six audio transformers. and the result was noise an hum free !

Good luck and sorry for my weak English [Smile]

Bye,

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 07:43 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it hum without film running ? If no it's an alignment thing..

SWitch to mag r non sync - does it still hum ?

Yes - forget the cell, exciter lamp psu etc.
Remove the cell wiring from the CP50 - if the hum goes it's a cell grounding or cabling thing. If the hum persists then it's a grounding or bal / un thing between the CP50 and the output source - we use balancing tx on our hire CP50s and running at 300mv we can happily send these signals to an amp stack on stage.

No - pull the exciter lamp or supply - if the hum stops it's the PSU. If hum persists, try turning all the lights off !

Good luck !

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im looking for the fm transmitter so that I wont have to run headphone wires out to my deck to listen to the movie, Id rather just use the fm trans and a set of radio headphones so I dont bother those living next door with the sound. I use a kelmar supply for the incand. exciter bulb. The hum is in the non sysc as well. I was only using the booth monitor because it had the headphone output jack so that I could use the headphones. I tried lifting the ground from the solar cell at the processor end and the hum still persists. Would it make a diff if I lifted the ground at the cell instead of the processor? The problem may be the monitor itself since I just started using it when I got my outdoor setup going. When I was using my setup inside I just used speakers and did not have the booth monitor as part of the setup. The hum is there the moment I turn everything on. Anyone know of any smaller fm transmitters that could work for my setup instead of spending the $200 on the ramsey fm25? Thanks for all the info and help so far. Everyone here is greatly appreciated by me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: