Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CLEOPATRA. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CLEOPATRA.
Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me my preoccupation in this area.

I've just been watching the Special Edition DVD of the above.

The "20th Century Fox" logo followed by "20th Century Fox Presents" appeared during the closing bars of the overture. Then there is a fade-out followed by the start of the Main Credit Titles.

Does anyone know/remember if this was the case during the original theatrical release either in 35/70 mm?

I'd be most grateful for any recollections.

Kind regards,

Frank.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 11:40 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. At least in the 35mm mag stereo print I saw in 1976.

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Paul,

Do you have any thoughts or memories of special "road show" type presentation for this type of production?

Cheers,

Frank.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-26-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the good fortune to see all of the road show releases in the late forties until the early seventies. If my memory is correct, I think the last one was for "TORA!TORA!TORA! in 1970. There might have been one or two more others but I am not sure. Some of the earlier ones were "DUAL IN THE SUN", "SAMSON & DELILAH", IVANHOE","QUO VADIS", "THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH" and many others in the forties and early fifties. I still have fond recollections of all of the 70mm road show releases and "CLEOPATRA" was one of them. I saw it in 70mm Todd-AO at the Kuhio in Honolulu and the opening was exactly as presented on the DVD. Because Hawaii was not considered a major market, many films played as road show attractions in 35mm and mono sound here despite the fact the theatres was set up for four track mag. FIDDLER ON THE ROOF", WEST SIDE STORY", "LAWRENCE OF ARABIA", "EXODUS", "SPARTACUS" are few that come to mind. "LAWRENCE OF ARABIA" and "WEST SIDE STORY" played later in 70mm many times here as revival showing, however.

A Road Show attraction was treated like a stage presentation where one can purchase tickets in advance at ticket outlets that sell concert and regular live stage presentations. Tickets were also available at a special window at the theatre playing the film. You can reserve a seat and the exact show time weeks or even a month or two before the start of the engagement. The Kuhio, and later the Cinerama and the Kapahulu were Honolulu's road show venues. The Kuhio and the Kapahulu did not have a curtain when they put in a scope screen but the Cinerama did. It was cool to listen to the overture with the curtain closed and have it slowly open when the studio logo flashed on the screen.

-Claude

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-30-2003 09:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

I'll post a definative answer for you shortly -- I have access to a roadshow 4 trk mag print. I'll check it out for you.

the other Frank

PS -- you really like this turkey?

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank and other kind contributors to this topic.

Frank. I DO like Cleopatra although I appreciate that it's seriously flawed. Generally though, I think the quality of the writing, with one or two glaring exceptions, was good for this type of movie.

Also, I think Rex Harrison is extremely good as Julius Ceasar and Richard Burton, although inconsequential in the first half, comes into his own in the second.

I'm rather fond of Alex north's score too.

Are the Overture and Intermission music intact on your print?

Kind regards,

The lesser of the two Franks.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Cleopatra at a 70mm film festival at the Royal
in Malmoe (Sweden) a couple of years ago. I liked the
film, though perhaps it was a little over-long. Alex
North´s music is great, so is his score for Spartacus.

If I remember it right, every second reel had OK color
and every second was faded, and so was Carol Reed´s
"Oliver!"

Too bad film-makers of today aren´t interested in making
Road-Show versions at least of their biggest films. Imagine
Lord of the Rings Trilogy with overtures and intermission.
But I guess those days are gone. Too bad, it was REALLY
something SPECIAL.

Thomas

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 04:06 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have access to a roadshow 4 trk mag print.
Wasn't this only roadshowed in Todd-AO? In it's world premiere 4 hour and week later 3:45 (approximate) cut? I believe the 35mm 4-track general release prints ran around 3:10-3:15. This was the version I saw, and the music did indeed lead into the Fox logo as I stated above.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 05:40 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I am assuming that "roadshow" means a print that has the overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music intact, not necessarily that it is identical to the cut as per the original premiere version. Many films opened in longer cuts but were then edited and played roadshow engagements in the shorter versions -- 2001 comes to mind. Even though cuts were made after the initial opening, the slightly shorter versions played roadshow engagements most everywhere else before moving to the subruns sans the intermission and other material. Many times the cuts were made while the opening roadshow enagement was still playing its initial key cities.

Sometimes the scores outshine the film -- I too love the North score as I do the Elmer Bernstein score for THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and Newman score for THE ROBE....it's just that watching these overblown epic melodramas is much to much to suffer just to hear the scores. Better to get the CD and listen to the 60 minutes of music, sans the torture of having to sit through the actual film. [Wink]

Frank

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

I noted above that Cleopatra WAS cut during its roadshow, as were a number of movies. But in many cases, movies retained their overtures, intermissons, etc in ths standard release versions. In fact, some non-roadshows had overtures as well (Scrooge, Cromwell come to mind).

Cleopatra essentially had to roadshow cuts. The world premiere at approx 4 hours (available now on DVD, previously on LD sans overture,entracte,exit music, VHS WITH overture,entracte, exit music - go figure).

The film was then cut to around 3 hours, 40 minutes for the rest of the roadshow engagements. These prints were 70mm Todd-AO (6-track mag).

For general release, the film was cut to around 3 hrs. 10-15 minutes. The mag/optic prints included Overture,entracte and exit music (which may or not have been cut of by individual theateres). However, these were 35mm "scope" prints, and shouldn't be considered "Roadshow" prints.

A roadshow is as Claude mentioned above, not whether a

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw CLEOPATRA during its roadshow run at the Rivoli in New York, and it seemed as if it were 8 hours long. It was only 4 seats from a sellout, and the only seats available were on the front row beside the left-hand wall. The screen was quite large, and those seats actually should have been removed. It took neck craning and twisting to see the center of the picture.

The uncomfortableness made it seem as if it were never going to end. I was sore when the movie was over! About the only thing I remember is the scene of the jewel hanging down Elizabeth Taylor's cleavage.

This isn't related to running time, but a Greek (nationality, that is) friend of mine told me that the Fox studio didn't have enough cash to complete CLEOPATRA, and the Greek owners of a California theatre circuit provided the financing to finish it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2003 07:51 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This isn't related to running time, but a Greek (nationality, that is) friend of mine told me that the Fox studio didn't have enough cash to complete CLEOPATRA, and the Greek owners of a California theatre circuit provided the financing to finish it.

Are you sure that story didn't evolve from the actual involvement of Spyros Skouras, Chairman of 20th Century Fox when Cleopatra got green-lighted?:

http://www.foxhome.com/cleopatra/cleopatra_btsmaking.htm

http://dvdscan.com/cleopatra.htm

http://www.waldorfconference.com/skouras.html

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-02-2003 08:08 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During that time 20th Century Fox's president was Spyros P. Skouras. His brother was president of Fox West Coast Theatres chain, Charles P. Skouras.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2003 08:17 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. So there may be a Greek exhibitor connection afterall?

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 03:21 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George P. Skouras (another brother) co-founded MAGNA Theatre Corporation

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: