Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Techs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projection Techs
Aaron Wesener
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Wesener   Email Aaron Wesener   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our chief opperations manager just offered me a permanent full - time position as the tech for our growing chain. We currently have two theaters, a 10 screen and an 18 screen. But ground has been broken on another 18 screen, and there are plans for a few more. The problem is that I'm not sure if there is any specialized training that I will need. I have been a projectionist for 3 years and I am in my third year of an electrical engineering degree. My question is, should I pursue and special training and if so what? Also what should I be expecting him to pay me for a position such as this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-24-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Get started by reading these threads ...
Where do you get trainging to be a projection engineer?
Kodak Projection Training
question for service techs
Projection training - the road to engeneering
Where To Get Training?

Start growing your digital beard now...
Kodak Projection Training (different than the other one)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep going on the EE degree, it will certainly help out in the future, and assumes you have the basic electronics part taken care of [Smile]

Some things you should have/know to be a successful technician:

-Mechanical aptitude (if you are projecting already, and doing that well, you likely have that going for you)- remember you will be installing and repairing mechanical stuff such as projectors, lamphouses, booth equipment (platters, MUTs, etc.)...

-Get as much knowledge as you can get on EVERY piece of booth equipment you have in all of your locations- This is probably the most important one listed here, and will pay off handsomely in the future if you get into places with varying equipment packages. Dig into the manuals, and download the ones here if you don't have all of them where you are.

-Get as much 'industry' training as you can: Dolby has tech training classes twice a year, one on the west coast, another on the east coast. Kodak and NATO also offer technical training classes/seminars on occasion. Another place to get knowledgeable if you can afford the trip is to visit ShoWest or ShowEast and get in with the tech guys in the equipment booths, and sign up for as many tech seminars as you can. If you have another tech that services your theatre now, stick to him like glue and ask as many questions as you can!

-Make sure your chain will supply you with all the important tools of the trade: laptop PC, oscilloscope, RTA (hardware or software), mic multiplexer kit, test films, etc. If not, you will have to shell out some bucks to get started equipment-wise (which really sucks)...

-Two words: FILM-TECH!!! [beer]

As far as pay goes, it will probably be more (possibly far more) than the projection staff, your mileage may vary... [Smile]

Good Luck!

-Aaron

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Aaron.

However, don't overlook the importance of expensive gadgets that are shiny and have lots of flashing lights. That way, when you get into the booth, you can flash all your "bling" and throw some catch phases ("near field sound", "canceling waves", "light absorption factor", etc) and everyone will think you are the "big dog". Won't they?

My real advice to you: Humility is a powerful concept. Don't be afraid to admit you don't know all the answers. Some people will have more respect for you and go out of their way to give you a hand. [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-24-2003 10:53 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron is right on target. One thing that is often overlooked is a "logical" mind. I have seen way too many techs/engineers that are so involved with the book-learning, that they lose all sense of "common sense."

It is MOST important to understand the principles behind the technology and the glitz, but apply that knowledge with logical thinking. Only then can one intelligently design and/or troubleshoot systems or equipment whether it be electronic, mechanical, or even those f*ckin' evil computers.

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-25-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to agree with Phil, but he is absolutely right here. Learn as much as you can about the basics, but don`t just memorize, seek to understand how and why everything works together. There is a lot of stuff you can look up in the manuals when you need it. But it is absolutely indispensable to be able to logically break down a problem into its components. Many times, there are problems not covered in the manuals. You will often find new and unusual configurations. If you learn to analyze problems and only repair the parts actually needed rather than changing whole assemblies, you will learn a lot and save your employer a ton of money!

Yes, and like Aaron said - get the equipment. Choose the right equipment and get it and learn to use it now. Your employer will moan about the investment at first, but the stuff will have paid for itself very quickly since you come across situations where you need it all the time. The more you learn now while you still have only 2 locations, the better. If your new loations come online, you may be able to do some of the install work yourself and again save your employer $$$.

Aaron Wesener
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Aaron Wesener   Email Aaron Wesener   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice guys, thanks alot. I have a meeting with my boss next week about the position, but I have no idea what I should be looking for pay wise. There is nobody else in the company to fill this position, and since we are a growing chain we do not currently have a tech. This means that we do most or all of the service ourselves, so I have the experience there. I just don't know what techs make and I don't think that he does either. Any ideas?
Thanks again.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an oldtimer, I learned by hands-on. We had an Altec-Lansing service tech who took me under his wing and dragged me along on service and emergency calls. We really didn't have much back then in technical training, just mechanical savvy and the ability to read manuals.

If the schools were available back then I certainly would have attended them.

I later took electronics courses and it certainly paid off. In my other life I run satellite uplink transmitter facilities and that early training I got from booth work sure helped.

In addition to schools, there is nothing like hands-on apprenticeship. Take everything you can get!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-25-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A suggestion is to get in agreement with your boss about how many screens you are getting paid to service - it not fair to get paid to handle 46 screens, then they add another 32. This should be defined if they are adding many more.

Also, get in agreement what is considered an 'emergency' call; where you have to leave home at 10:00pm on a Saturday night, fight through 'the biggest snow storm in 20 years' to service a theater. What happens when a theater has people who do not take care of the equipment, the equipment fails often, and they call you weekends and holidays? Will you have some say in issues like that?

Pay is of course different depending on area, responsibilities, whether you need to buy your own equipment, etc. Will you gat a car or car allowance (are the theaters widely seperated and/or far away from you?) Will you be the person who trains new operators? Will you actually be required to rebuild, say, an intermittent, or can just change it out? There are too many unknowns to give a price, but I have seen between $150 to $350 per screen, per year.

Get together with the person who is enginnering your new theaters to make sure the right equipment is being installed (lamps are big enough for the size screens; amps are big enough fo the size house.) Or, if they know more than you, ask to sit in with them to learn.

Your chain is fairly small, so I will add a rant: now is the time to get a regular maintaince program going, and insure people at the theater follow it. An 18-plex should be large enough to provide at least one, full-time operator. That is the person you should oversee, who should know how to do routine things like changing oil and replacing bulbs. The idea is to make each theater complex somewhat independent. While you may have time to do that now, don't let the day come when you need to quit doing a B-chain and pack up, just because some guy at another theater doesn't know how to change a bulb. Your boss may say something like, "That's what we pay you for..." but he need to be aware of things like: No one can be avaiable 24x7; people go on vacation, people quit, get sick, die, etc. Preparing for future growth is part of doing a good job.

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many screens can a typical experienced tech handle? I realize that this is variable depending on condition of equipment, quality of projection staff, number of screens per facility, distance between theatres,...etc, but someone must have a ballpark or baseline figure???

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most techs I know handle on avg 150 screens in their area...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-27-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Said: "One thing that is often overlooked is a "logical" mind."
Having a logical mind is ok in small even doses.... but never let it become your sole way of thinking!!!. I've been around a couple of techs recently that seem to have based their entire lifetime of learning about cinema projection and sound on things being logical or not and believe me it just doesn't work. These people literally become entrapped in themselves and so set in their ways that they are deathly afraid of trying anything new or listening to anyone else....even though other people around them may actually be much more in the know and have had far more experience. You really have to keep an open mind in this buisness and not let yourself be railroaded down a single track. Learn as much about everything as you can. Above all learn how to deal with other people you come in contact with in a positive, friendly, and productive way. Your job will be alot easier of you do plus your employes will become more productive and enjoy doing things for you instead of hateing you.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-27-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
JFC Mark! Stop putting words in my mouth! I never said that it is. GO re-read my post... [Mad]

EDIT: Mark, thanks for clarifying that in your below post. I apologize for coming down hard in my post. But, I just get really angry that so many people post a response to what they think they have read.

Your correction was appreciated.

>>> Phil

[ 11-27-2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-27-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh.....Sorry Phil,
Wrong name in there [Eek!] . Corrected [thumbsup]
Mark

Aaron Wesener
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 10:38 AM      Profile for Aaron Wesener   Email Aaron Wesener   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, thanks for all of the information and advice. I found out that Christie does have a tech in my area so I will be contacting him, to see if I could work with him a little. Somebody mentioned a Dolby class or seminar, but I can't find any information on it. I was also thinking about attending the advanced Kodak class. Would that give me an information on install though; alignment, sound setup, etc.?

Thanks again guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: