Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Grey Boxes for shipping (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grey Boxes for shipping
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is already posted. Please forgive me.

When I recieved Gothika, The reels came in a gray box. I also had the box with Radio. Can anyone tell me if this is the new way of packing reels?
BTW I did notive that they werent Technicolor.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have came to us 3 or 4 times in the last couple months. Seem pretty decent, at least they arent all beat up.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you are referring to the corrugated-plastic boxes that one single print can fit into (up to 7 reels), they have been around for a number of years, originally by Fox (hence they are sometimes called 'Fox Boxes' even if a non-Fox print ships in them) and in the past couple years many of the other ETS-served distributors are using the 'Fox Box' for their prints...

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 12:52 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.film-tech.com/reviews/review42.html

These boxes were a good try but they need to be improved on, especially making them easier to close. I do like the wide handle, much more comfortable than carrying cans.

Original thread

Someone should be along to close this soon.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I believe he is referring to the corrugated fold-up boxes (the original 'Fox Box' that is now in use on films from all the ETS-handled distributors), not the new hard plastic cases that I believe only Fox uses.

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well in that case, the fox box is ok but I hate having all the weight on one side. It just makes it akward to carry. I think the new plastic cans are a step up from the Fox Box.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-24-2003 02:38 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate these damn boxes. Sometimes if the cardboard is worn when you go to pick it up by the handle the whole top opens up and scratches your hand to pieces.

Not to mention when its a full 7 reels, I have a hard time picking it up! You should see me trying to make my way upstairs gasping for air because the darn thing is so heavy....grrrr. For the record, I'm not the only one I've heard complain about the weight, male or female. [fu] I'd rather have the banged up cans that at least even off the weight using both arms.

In my personal opinion, the gray boxes would be good if they used 2 per film, more like the cans. The boxes are better then the cans in the style (all though that could use a little work too) but the whole movie in one box is a real pain.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-24-2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with rachel. A 3 reel size Fox box wouldn't be too bad. No more than 4 reel slots though.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 03:26 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree,

But do you think it is easier to ship and track as one package?
There have been a number of times when technicolor driver shows up and asks for two movies, or two cans.
From time to time when it is a different carrier it gets even more complicated... I will tell the driver I have 'a' movie and when he gets multiple cans he gets confused... I guess that is the reasoning behind a single 'Fox Box'

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-24-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Travis, I would assume it saves time in the depot and for the delivery drivers (tracking purposes). But I would also assume that lugging those boxes around not only is an inconvenience for the projectionist but also delivery people and the people in the depot. Not to mention bad for your back! [Smile] I guess there is a plus and a minus depending on which way you look at it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-24-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the problem with shipping films in two containers. Has anyone really ever gotten only half a movie?

Three- and four-can shipments are annoying because they require either two people or two trips between the lobby and the booth, but those shipments would require two fox boxes, anyway, and I don't know of anyone who can carry two of those things at once.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gods and Generals came in two boxes.

I really think they should just imporve the plastic cans, make them easier to close and latch. The reel slots do work nicely if the reels are inserted correctly.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can carry two boxes at a time, I am HE-MAN... [Wink]

You are right I have never received half of a movie,

Its kinda funny but a few times I have received a film from an alternate carrier, (taxi or at the airport) and had two of the metal cans duct-taped toghether... That was flippin' heavy!
But we all know how easy it is for the airline to lose things.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-24-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I've received half a print shipment on at least two occasions. I believe it was attributed to a missing label once and the other time my competitor received the other can with his prints. [Roll Eyes]

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never received only one can of a two can movie. But I have received two cans both containing reels #4 - #8. Works out to the same thing I suppose.

- Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: