Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Different error rates... howcum?

Author Topic: Different error rates... howcum?
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 09:20 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that I'll have trailers with 0,1 and 2 rates, going into an entire feature that sits at 5 and 6 (mainly 6)? The rate doesn't change much at all through the entire feature.

(Cat-701, DA20, CP-65)

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Funny that you mention this. I'm having issues with my print of 'Gothika'. Caused my CP500 to lock up this Saturday. By 'lock up' I mean that it reverted into a blank screen with only the formats showing, but not in any one particular format. I had nothing on any channel on either the processor or amplifier side. Didn't even have intermission, which was clearly playing in other houses. Wound up rebooting and all was fine. Happened 5 minutes prior to credits, so everyone was issued refund tickets and explanations given that it was a techincal malfunction that unfortuantely happens without any reasonable explanation. Sorta like when your car won't crank the first time you turn the key -- but it fires right up the second turn.... [Confused]

So to further what Jack said.. "so, howcum?" [Confused]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-24-2003 08:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack --

Some questions for you:

1. What error rate does the attached trailer give you? Is it the same as R-1 of the feature or is it all groovy like the other trailers?

2. Do the error rates (on the various bits of film) stay consistent from one showing to the next?

Just so you know, I've seen this a lot. I don't know why but trailers tend to get really good SRD rates. Maybe they print them slower or something?

I actually carry around a "golden trailer" for making DRAS test loops.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-24-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny:
Good question on the attached trailer. I'll check on it. The error rate on the feature (all of the show, for that matter) does stay fairly consistent... 5 & 6 throughout the feature, and less on the trailer pack.

I haven't experienced any dropout (yet) from this, but it does bother me that the error rate sits up that high.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at the Dolby Digital tracks with a magnifing lens, to see if you see anything like the brown marks following the sproket holes like in the picture shown in this thread: click here
I have noticed this sort of thing on a number of prints over the past few months. It may be an example of printing done wrong. If the trailers do not have the marks, but the feature does, this may be the problem. I believe the "foging" will cause problems with reading the data in the "foged" area.
A little quality control would be nice.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-24-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a close look at the digital track and compare it to other tracks you know run good numbers. Is the track lighter than the others. I have a DA20 installed here and my numbers range from 3's and 4's to 5's and 6's. Only time I saw it falt out was on a Cat in the Hat trailer. I have had this unit running for little over a month now using a Cat 700 reader. This set up came from another theater in our chain.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-24-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce: Thanks for that. I saw it when it posted, but didn't think it applied. I'll check, though.

Darryl: I'll look into that. I hadn't noticed anything visually unusual... maybe (probably) I need a bigger magnifying glass!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: