Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rolling stock and Disney (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rolling stock and Disney
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This comment from the
Haunted Mansion thread in FITA...

quote:
Note in can: No "rolling stock" advertisements may be played with this Walt Disney Pictures feature.
Does this affect video based advertisements before the movie, such as Regal's "The 2wenty"?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting no.

1. It doesn't affect the start time.

2. In the agreement or contract, I would believe that it would be treated like the slide program.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish more studios would disallow "rolling stock advertisements" before movies. The number of commercials before movies has increased drastically lately. I like Disney's policy on this issue.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-22-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea, but it seems logical that "The 2wenty" would be treated the same as film-based ads. To the audience, it's all just a bunch of advertising clutter before the trailers. But like I say, I don't know. Regal still hasn't rolled out "The 2wenty" here.

Someone like Mike Olpin might know the answer to this.

Cory Bowman
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Cory Bowman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of right now Disney is not letting us play the 2wenty on Brother Bear. They consider it the same as rolling stock. They have played it on live action movies in the past, so I don't know what they will do with "Haunted Mansion". So far they have considered their animated features as special.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-22-2003 11:26 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Cory! Welcome!

quote:
Someone like Mike Olpin might know the answer to this.
I'm flattered. Thanks David! Cory got it right. No 20wenty on most Disney Features.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, an e-mail went out just recently telling us that there would be no 2wenty before "The Haunted Mansion". If we see one playing, we're supposed to report it immediately to get it shut off.

- Mike Cunningham

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 01:34 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does not run on the NCN digital system either.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 03:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago when theatres were first introducing screen ads, it was pretty controversial and was pretty hotly debated here at the time. I was visiting a friend's booth and read a letter from Disney that was posted on their work board. It started off decrying screen ads as mood-destroying, bad showmanship and an affront to patrons. It made no bones that Disney was against them. It said the Disney name would not be associated with the negative impact of screen ads. I thought, gee, look at this....Disney worrying about showmanship and the patrons. Unexpected, but very, very cool.

Then I kept reading and the second half of the letter pointed out that Disney understood very well what was going on with screen ads -- it was the exhibitor using the Disney product to surreptitiously make profits without sharing a percentage of those profits with the studio (no doubt the Mouse was thinking 90/10). The implication was that hey, if you cut Disney in on the profits from screen ads, they would have no problem screwing both showmanship and the patrons.

Ah....aint it grand when you can see True Colors?!

Frank

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-23-2003 07:35 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find all of this very interesting in light of the fact that Disney DVD's tend to have more advertising crap than discs from any other studio.

And just why are they called "Disney DVDs" anyway? Are they different?

AMC used to have a snipe for "Coming Attractions" that featured the little 'Clip' character drinking a Coke. We couldn't use that snipe on Disney product, we had to use an older one that didn't have the Coke in it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's face it: Disney as it exists today is pure money-grubbing evil.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And just why are they called "Disney DVDs" anyway? Are they different?

I used to wonder about that too. They are indeed Disney DVD's but the commercials used tout "coming soon on video and Disney DVD!" Why not, I thought, Disney video and Disney DVD? I suppose it was just the alliteration of the two D's. The ads now usually say "Disney video and DVD."

As for the topic at hand, Brad asked exactly the question I was wondering. Now we've established that the ban includes video commercials but what about the other video crap that lies somewhere in between slides and full motion video, like stills with moving graphics and narration or the music videos? At AMC that stuff runs ahead of the video rolling stock.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney now lets you run rolling stock before Touchstone Pictures titles. At the AMC Hamilton, the NCN digital preshow was in use in front of Under the Tuscan Sun.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow- are people actually getting treated to a BLANK SCREEN then? Horrors! [Wink]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those too cheap to have curtains how about a nice slide of a curtain with appropriate colored spotlights. Then start the show with a snipe of the same curtain opening. Oh wait...probably not good to remind people of how things ought to be.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: