Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kneisley Electric no longer in business?!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kneisley Electric no longer in business?!?
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-20-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to my dealer today about getting some parts for a Kneisley Xenex I lamphouse and was told that they tried calling the place (during business hours) and nobody answered the phone, and he talked to someone else who said that Kneisley had gone bankrupt and had closed down. I know the Kneisley web site is still up, but the big question is:

Are they really gone? and if so, is there anyone providing support for their products?

-Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-20-2003 08:18 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such nice people. They have been working basically a skeleton detail the last few years. The graphics art industry was another source of revenue for them.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-21-2003 04:53 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard is right....years ago I needed a ballest resistor for a rectifier that has manufactured circa 1950 and that had an RCA logo plate on it, but it really was a Kneisley unit that they manufactured for RCA. I called Kneisley and the person I spoke with didn't know about the RCA model, but got the elder Mr. Kneisley on the phone and the guy knew exactly which rectifier I was talking about and what I needed. We spoke for half an hour about the film industry and then he send out the big resistor free of charge. Aside from the generous gesture, he was a real gentleman and a delight to speak with.

A real shame if a family business like that can no longer be viable in our economy. I guess when you don't want to farm you manufacturing out to China or Milasia, you have a very hard time competing. So much for the American dream.

Frank

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with NCS today and they had spoken to Betty last week whenever they heard the rumors and she denied they were closing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can assure you that as long as Betty is alive there will be a Kneisley Electirc Co. They are VERY nice people to do buisness with and make pretty darn good products as well. I sure owe her a few lunches..... All the times I went to pick up truckloads of consoles from them mylunch was always taken care of. They did send us a notice of a holiday closure from just before xmas to just after new years.

"PLEASE HOLD FOR THAT EXTENSION"

Mark @ CLACO

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-22-2003 05:38 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betty IS always "that extension" on their voice mail system [Big Grin]
The late Dick Kneisley sold out in the early 1990's and moved to Florida and has since expired. He was a walking encycopedia and set up his company in the late 1930's after leaving Strong Electric. The last time I had a visit ( unannouced ) we both went out on a service call to check up on a problem rectifier.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-22-2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me...their phone system was the worst part of Kneisley...you couldn't use it to get to anybody and it would hang up on you.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-22-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the diode heatsink assembly in the console modeled on the phone system? That is probably the worst and unserviceable heatsink design I have ever come across.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-22-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal,
the heat sink is a pain to service but the huge diodes they use rarely give a problem....as long as the G.E. exhaust fan is operating and the doors to the unit stay closed during operation, it usually takes a lightning strike to knock them out [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-23-2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to change 2 recently. The fan was working. It was not fun to change them. But OK, it wasn`t that bad after all. I just couldn`t resist the joke.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-23-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, those are 150, or 200 amp diodes on that assy if my memory serves me correctly. I've never had to change one on over 20 years. I have however changed out an entire transformer assy in a three phase rectifier!! No small job indeed.
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't happen to remember the 1N numbers, do you? I figure the next time I order any electronic parts I would get a few spares. Kneisley 2K's.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-23-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, can't remember.... never having replaced one before. 007 might know though. I do remember though that the diodes on the original heatsinks are not marked with a 1N number. I doubt you'd ever blow one of them. Things that are more likely to fail are the contactor, fan motor, and main power transformer assy.
BTW...Kneisley actually manufactures their own power transformers in a building behind the main plant. They wind them, dip in varnish, and then bake them all in house!!
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only had one go bad and it was an infant mortality issue. I believe they are 150A DO-8 packages. 150KA600 or better, I believe (to use IR diode numbers).

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, can't remember.... never having replaced one before.

I have a vague recollection of a stack going bad at Elgin Fox. Not sure where you were but there was no VOM around the shop that day and I had to get creative to diagnose which diode was open or shorted.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: