Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP55 popping during format changes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CP55 popping during format changes
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-16-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This phenomena occurs during switching all formats, the optical changes are worse than the rest, but still noticable. Any ideas?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-16-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems as I had that problem once in Southsound. It has been so long ago I can't remember for sure exactly what it was. However, the format card (Cat 243) comes to mind.

[ 11-16-2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-16-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any other ideas?

JJ

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-16-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh... (unless someone chimes in here...) there's probably not much you'll be able to accomplish in there... unless you can get schematics of the cards... [Eek!]

If the 55 switches between source opamps with unbalanced offsets, you can get that... dried-up caps... switching between outputs with mismatched impedances all can do this... not to mention the possibility the switching pulses might be inducing themselves into a gain stage somewhere in there (maybe bad caps here, too). Probably nothing you couldn't trace out... if you could get extenders & schemats...

On the other hand [evil]
that call to Dolby did the trick for me...

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-17-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so now what. This problem becomes really annoying when SRD is reverting to SR and back again. any other ideas?

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-17-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, I spoke to a tech today about your problem. He said it is normal for some older units to do that. We do have some good options to get it taken care of. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-17-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you describe the "pop" in more detail? (I've never had a CP55 produce any noise when switching formats.)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-17-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with popping noises mentioned is similar to relay contact closure noise that is emitted into the audio. That's what I experienced in Port Orchard. It was low-key, but it is still there.

And Brad, I agree with you. It should not be there, period! Maybe Josh can more accurately describe what it sounds like. More than likely, I'll call Dolby Labs tomorrow.

Another description is of an electro-mechanical automation unit cycling if the wiring ground interface is not that great. As you sit in an auditorium, every relay closure can be heard in the sound system.

One question I forgot to ask....

Is it in all channels, or just some? That might shed some more light on the problem.

Seve Guttag, where are you?? [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-17-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh/Paul...
If the box is prone to this (although maybe raising input levels might help?)... does it have the same mute function that the 65 has?... and could that be used between source switching?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-17-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, that is a very valid thought. Somehow, that slipped past my feeble mind.

I wonder if it could be a gain structure problem. [Smile]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-18-2003 01:59 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound is more of a snapping noise, not so much of a popping.

JJ

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-18-2003 05:38 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe Josh can more accurately describe what it sounds like. More than likely, I'll call Dolby Labs tomorrow.
Wouldn't it make more sense for Josh to call Dolby himself, if in fact he wants Dolby's help. As you said, Josh can more accurately describe what it sounds like. I'm sure he's perfectly capable of doing it. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2003 06:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every....and I mean EVERY Cat. 242 produces a snapping noise as it switches between formats. It is generated in the actual analog muxes...the CD4051 (I can't remember the exact number...there are three chips in the series...one of them is an 8x1 mux and that is what is used on the Cat. 242).

Some are worse than others but they all do it whether you have noticed it or not. It is a "Feature" of the card. In fact, "Dolby Snaps" are kinda of an inside joke for those in the know...

For the Cat 240 and 240A though they used the same series of chip (CD4053) for projector changover...to kill the "snap" they did a form of feedback kill it off...thereby admitting that they knew of the problem.

For the format card, the Cat. 242 it was not considered an issue since it would normally be switching between two sound sources and once the feature had started would remain where it was. The flaw in the plan came when the CP-65 came out and you have a DA10/20 connected and the snaps would "announce" a digital change.

Dolby may have run out of real estate to put in the feedback circuits for the format card since they used all "through-hole" technology...with SMT of today...it could be more effectively addressed...not to mention there are better MUXes out there. Note on the Cat. 441 that the DG series of analog muxes were being used. If the Cat. 242 were being designed today as an analog card...probably a MUX like the DG400 series would have been given the nod...it doesn't snap as bad in its natural state and could also have its snaps severely reduced.

Steve

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-18-2003 09:02 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
instead of using muxes, why didnt the build discrete VCA's to control the audio path? That would have been quiet and reliable.

It sounds like a nickname, it sounds like a snack, Dolby Snaps!! [Big Grin]

Josh

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Previously, Dolby did use descrete FETs to do analog muxing. You don't need a true VCA persey...just bias the Gate of the FET and as you switch change the gate voltage using a simple RC circuit to control the time-constant for a cross fade. For a study guide...refer to Dolby's Cat. 108 and Cat. 201.

As to the descrete thing...for a cinema application...you would consume way too much real estate for what you are doing. Remember, in a CP-55 and earlier processor, you PC Card was limited to a very definate dimension to work with. You can't just add space without adding a card (like the Cat 150D and earlier)...then you bring with you all the challenges of moving the signals around between the two...for the Cat. 150 it wasn't too bad since only one channel was on the second card.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: