Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ALTEC A7 born again... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ALTEC A7 born again...
Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2003 05:36 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Altec-lansing is launching a new A7 web page

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-16-2003 06:03 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Porquoi? The $4300.00 price is for the audiofile market. The 900 hz crossover is probably to give the horn more protection and to sound better in small enviroments.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-16-2003 08:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...the original specifications for the A-7 was 103dB at 1-watt/1-meter.

Part of the stupidly high price is the 13-ply Birch cabinet. At the end of it's production under EVI (prior to the Telex take-over) the A-7 was a particle board cabinet with fiberglass horn-flares (LF section...aka 825 then the 828 ending with the 828H). All other parts were the same except the crossover. I believe the A-7 had the N-1285...a nifty crossover with user setable points of 1200, 800, and 500 Hz. The A-7's HF horn was a 800Hz sectorial...the 811....the theatre version was known as the the A7-500 with a 511 Sectorial horn and the theatre specified 500Hz crossover. At the end of production, the A-7 was issued with a 909A-8 HF driver with the Mantaray driver (MR-992?).

In any event...it is true that the Altec 515 G series drivers are back in production as are the 902 and 909 HF drivers. The 299 (and hence the 288) is also once again available as is a newer version called the 399 (more pancake shaped than the 299 but acoustically equivalent using the same motor movement and diaphragm 25884 or 25885).

As a side note....there was a recent screening in the DC area where one of the New York firms came down to do the "Tech."....after checking over the room response..etc...the tech asked me..."What do you have behind that screen? It sounds so clear and transparent yet not harsh at all...very sweet sounding"...my response? Altec A-6 (similar to the JBL 4670 or the EV TS-940). The difference...the Altec drivers and Mantaray horn. The 288 driver mated to a Manatray horn (MRII594) is an exceptionally good sounding combination and the horn is second to none in its category.

As to Altec Lansing's new A-7...I'd be surprised if they have sold any at that price.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Porquoi? The $4300.00 price is for the audiofile market."

While there may be some Asian hi-fi collectors interested in a re-born A-7, I'd hardly consider the A-7 an audiophile worthy speaker. Not enough dynamic range capability, and way too high of distortion. These are some of the normal tradeoffs for efficiency!! It was fine in the 50's and 60's but is thousands of research years (literally) behind the best dynamic drivers made today.

Mark @ CLACO

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-16-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take audiophiles with a grain of salt when I encountered a client many years ago with two hearing aids while doing a demo....the limited response and distorsion of his aids probably match the A-7 [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-16-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is the sensitivity rating at 2.83V compared to the sensitivity at 1 W?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-16-2003 05:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mark.

And Richard, you are kidding of course? :0

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Richard, You can take me with a grain of salt if ya want to. No matter..... [Big Grin]

Phil,
I almost forget about the Audiophile horn community which does indeed build extremely high end horns for those without hearing aid problems. There are indeed some VERY impressive systems out there. They just dont have any of the old industry names though. In particuluar Edgarhorn is one of the finest out there. Here is a site like, but its still under construction......
http://www.edgarhorn.com/

Mark @ CLACO

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-16-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark & Phil. The client was a retired musician and I feel the sound pressure from the A-7's he had baffled in his sound room walls where more from his memory than his ears or could of been speech frequency loss. The room was in Clearwater, Florida and a boss and I where demoing some Phase Linear amplifiers + other toys.. He had sound parties with people with better hearing utilizing extensive LP and 1/4 tape library. We later upgraded his room with JBL.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw a review of the A7s compared to modern enclosures and the A7 just wasn't that great. That was about 10-15 years ago.
For their time they were good, but things got better.
Now I think some just think they look cool. Sort of a nostalgia thing or something [Confused]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-16-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But at that price hw expensive would an A2 be? [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-17-2003 09:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I am no great friend of the A-7 I am of the A-5 since it has the 288/299 HF driver...I'd put it up against virtually any speaker made today. Remember...the system did evolve despite its appearance remaining the same. The Mantaray horn is second to none...the 515G is a rather evolved 515, the 288/299 is still better than most compression drivers of today. As to response, if you don't get 45 - 16K on an A-5 you must be doing something wrong. An A-4 is pretty flat down to 40Hz with its bass wings.

I'd take an A-4 or A-5 (room dependant) over virtually all "modern" cinema speakers today. In tough rooms (reverberent) they really outperform others.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-17-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I agree on the A-5 if equipped with modern components and for use ONLY in a cinema application. Its quite good and can handle high power as reqired for digital. What we were really referring to here though is the A-7 as being an audiophile type speaker which is is definately not. For instance, Dynaudio produces a hf silk dome tweeter that is flat to 40khz and can handle 1kw pulses. Now that takes some slik R&D to achieve. This is more typical of whats going on in the extreme high end audiophile world.
Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-18-2003 06:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I dunno on the HF home market...The A-7 has its followers. Listening to some recordings like those from James Brown seem to have a less restricted sound through an A-7.

Personally, to me...compression drivers never really sounded natural in the home though with some music they can make it actually sound more natural.

My two favorite home speakers...my JBL L-250s (not with the titainium tweeters) and the Altec 604s....now the 604 was a very special speaker. Note, it too evolved over time finishing with the 604K...with essentially a 515G LF section and a 902 HF section with a Mantaray horn (crossed over at 1500Hz). With much Rock N Roll and R&B music they are so sweet.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-25-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe my eyes! One shortcoming of the A7 was the metal horn that rang like a bell. Another was the original passive crossover whose core saturated at the thought of loud passages.

It was one of the most unpleasant sounding speakers for loud music I've ever been around.

Steve, you've regressed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: