Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionist License (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projectionist License
Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to know if in the US and outside the projectionist need a license? If yes, want to know how i can get one?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In New York City the projectionists needs a license. You pay a fee and and take a test. The fee is $200 and you pay $65-75 for the two year license.

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In New York City the projectionists needs a license.
Do the managers who run the smaller theaters have licenses or has it been waived for them?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-15-2003 07:07 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Massachusetts you also need a license. You just have a take a really cheesy VERY outdated test to get it, true or false questions.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pennsylvania also still requires a license for projectionists. The short test is written only but has been updated somewhat to include xenon lamp safety and digital sound formats. My exam was administered by an inspector from the state Department of Labor and Industry.

Rachel, does Massachussetts provide a study guide or a suggested reading list for candidates preparing for the projectionist exam?

I was surprised that Pennsylvania does not. However, I found that through general knowledge of booth operations and participation in Film-Tech (including the Manuals section) I had no problem.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-17-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MA does not have any recommended study materials, beyond the relevent regulations (CMR is the Code of Massachusetts Regulations):
  • 520 CMR 3.00: Use of Cinematograph and Similar Apparatuys for the Exhibition of Motion Pictures.
  • 780 CMR 407: Motion Picture Projection Rooms
  • 780 CMR 408.3: Projection Rooms
  • 780 CMR 613: Motion Picture Projection Rooms, Screening Rooms, and Sound Stages
(If you ask the folks who administer the test, I think they only mention 520CMR3.)
Oh, there is also the applicable law, part of
--jhawk

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-17-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rachel, does Massachussetts provide a study guide or a suggested reading list for candidates preparing for the projectionist exam?
Yeah, what John said! [Big Grin]

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 04:56 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Do the managers who run the smaller theaters have licenses or has it been waived for them? "

I believe whom ever is running the projector, for an audience, manager or not, is required to have the license.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-19-2003 01:52 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The still on-line GCC site had a "primer" for the MA license exam:

http://zulugruv.home.texas.net/gcc/primer.html

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2003 07:03 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do the managers who run the smaller theaters have licenses or has it been waived for them?
Although the chains mounted an attack to completely eliminate the licensing requirement in NYC, they lost. So the license has not been waived -- we still have to pay the annual fee. So they went another route and put a lot of political pressure on the department to make the tests (3 hr written and a practical) so easy that their ass. managers would take it and pass. My understanding is that even with the watered down written test, only three of the two dozen or so that the theatres sent to take it actually passed.

In 1997 I was part of a team put together by the Department of Consumer Affairs to author the written test; at that time, it was not an easy test as it covered in some detail everything from booth operation to buiding codes to electrical codes (the projectionist license here is a partial electrican license in that it allows the person to perform some limited electrical work in the booth that otherwise would require an electrician). That was then, this is now -- presently I don't know if the "real" test is still being given or if the "anyone can pass" test is; I heard a rumor that the new commissioner of the department threw out the watered down test and went back to the real one, but that was only rumor. It could very well be that testing may not even be given any more and that the license has become purely a fee license like a street vending license or business license -- its fuction only to generate money for the city, not one for public safety reasons. I am sure the chains would love that -- in other words, they could just buy a license.

Frank

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank
New York no longer does a practical test just a written one.
This happened about 2 1/2 years ago.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-19-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did the practical test in NYC involve? Did applicants have to actually inspect and show a film, or were they just required to do things like make proper splices and demonstrate the use of a volt-ohms meter?

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 08:52 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told once that a projector was involved and you had to troubleshoot certain problems

Michael Goucher
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Michael Goucher   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Goucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1973 when I took the exam, it was in two phases, a written test which covered electrical and projection issues. In those days the variety of equipment found in operating projection booths was amazing, some dating back to earliest talkies days. Once passed, the ticket to the practical test was mailed to you and you needed to be "hands-on" knowledgeable about carbon arc projection, any one of a number of sound & projector heads, and film handling, of course. Almost always, the film piece was tails out with a head leader on it. If you fell into the trap, you got banged another testing fee, and a 9-month wait (at the time). I understand nowadays it's a walk-in exam.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my Massachusetts Projectionist license in 1971 things were different. In the booth of what once had been the state censors' screening room the "practical" test was given by making the applicant wire the booth! The 2 machines (regular Simplex with Strong 1kW carbon lamps & rectifiers) switches, changeovers and fuse panel had all wire connection points terminated in copper studs with wing nuts. There was an enormous pile of various gauge asbestos wires with ring lugs on the ends. The test: wire the booth (while being quizzed on fire-safety topics), inspect the print, run a show. Let's bring back the good old days! Wonder how many of today's operators could pass?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: