Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kniesley Kni-Tron L-100-3 lamphouse question.

Author Topic: Kniesley Kni-Tron L-100-3 lamphouse question.
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-12-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of these little suitcase-sized lamps in my screening room. having beefed up the cooling system, and some rewiring, the bulb finally quit with I think 791 hours on it. SOme have said that this lamphous requires a special 500W lamp that osram made back in the day. Will a XBO 500W/H bulb *physically* fit in this lamphouse? I'd hate to spend a grand to have a new bulb made, but if it came to that, I'd buy a new lamphouse.

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-12-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tis my understanding your lamp uses a bulb that was custom built for that lamphouse. I am also under the impression the last one that was custom built for your lamphouse was about 8 years ago. I don't think you have the custom bulb in that thing. That's probably why it failed so soon.

Although Josh, Brad, and Gordon are fully aware of that, my question is what the hell was so special about the custom bulb as compared to the standard XBO500W/H in the first place?

Seems kind of dubious to me.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-12-2003 12:58 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that a 500W lamp should cost $1,000.

Josh -- Just buy yourself a DVD player, a 31" TV and a nice home-theatre system built around a Denon receiver. I guarantee you'll get more bang for the buck. How often do you run movies in 35mm, anyway?

These kids today. Honestly!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-12-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, that was what it might cost to have a custom bulb manufactured providing the orginal specifications are still within the archives of the manufacturer.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-12-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ckeck the Osram website. http://www.osram.com/products/photo_optic/discharge/xbo.html
The physical dimensions are quite detailed, it doesn`t say what the pin diameter is, though.
You might also consider contacting Superior Quartz. They have a wide range of lamps available, and they have been known to make lamps for specific applications.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-12-2003 05:29 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very early L-100 units used a headlight type of bulb with internal reflector. Kneisley later supplied a reflector and fittings so a 500W/H bulb or equal would fit.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-12-2003 09:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton also built a lamphouse using the same reflector styled lamp until Osram discontinued it
The problem with some of them was that
1 the bushing for the cathode support soesn't fit right
2 The cooling in the system was designed for a sealed beam unit that didn't require an airstream across the seals
Bottom line there are many ORC M1000's and Strong Lumex's still kicking around that would be a better and more servicable lamphouse

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-12-2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is just one problem, there is absolutely no more room, as I'm using a donkey pedistal, and if the lamp were any longer I would have to crawl through the machine to get to the operator side.

Josh

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-12-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael said, "The physical dimensions are quite detailed, it doesn`t say what the pin diameter is, though."

Actually, the specifications: "Cathode: SFa 15-10" and "Anode: SFa 16-8" do indeed define the pin diameter (and more). You can find the dimensions somewhere on Osram's web site, I think it's in their full bulb catalog that there is a section defining those connector types. If someone actually needs this and cannot find it, I can dig it up...

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: