Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector's motor casts a shadow...can a Magnacom help?

Author Topic: Projector's motor casts a shadow...can a Magnacom help?
Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a request for assistance from a former colleague who recently opened a theatre in Iran (!). He is running a pair of Fedi XI T-35s in a small auditorium with a fairly large screen and has noticed the projector's motor casts a shadow on the image. From his description, the motor is mounted perpendicular to the projector front, like the motor on an old Simplex or RCA soundhead, but positioned higher up.

The auditorium specs are...
  • Throw distance: 14.1m (about 46-1/4')
  • Screen dimensions: 14.1m x 7m (about 46-1/4' x 23')
I could not get an exact answer on the lenses or aperture plates used when the problem occurs, but he did mention the lenses are in the 22-25mm FL range. Also, I have no information on the kind of masking used (or if any masking is used at all).

If he used a lens one notch longer than the recommended FL for a particular aspect ratio and a Magnacom to blow up the image to the desired size, will that overcome the shadow problem or will that introduce other problems, other than some light loss?

Also...does anyone have any pictures of a Fedi XI T-35 so I can see how the motor is positioned? Thanks! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few more questions:

Does the image have motor shadow in scope or just flat? Or both?

Is there enough space from the present lens to the port glass for the extra length of a magnacom?

I believe that the magnacom will not work with just a small variance of focal length, it is more suited to having the scope backup become the 1:85 lens by adding the magnacom.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer your questions, Kenneth, the shadow only occurs in flat (either 1.85:1 or 1.66:1) and, yes, there is enough room to accommodate a Magnacom.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-10-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean that the motor is actually getting into the projected beam? Or, do you mean there is stray light coming from the lens and reflecting on the screen?

If it's the second, I would recommend using "Cinefoil" and some black gaffer's tape to block the stray light.

Cinefoil is basically a sheet of heavy aluminum foil that has been painted (or anodized?) flat black. You can use it for virtually any situation where you want to block light from interfering. Stage electricians use it to fashion makeshift "barn doors" and things like that.

Cinefoil is made by Rosco. Click Here for more info.

It comes in rolls, similar to what household aluminum foil comes in. I recollect the cost is about $20 per roll.

Black Gaffer's tape can be had from Permacel. Click Here for more info.

Again, I believe cost is about $20 per roll. (Depending on your relationship with your dealer... I've bought Gaff tape for $12 - $15 per roll in case-quantities.)

Although Gaff tape is made by many companies, "Permacel" is starting to become the "Kleenex" of the stage & screen industry. Many people say, "Hand me that roll of Permecel.", when they want tape just as people say, "Give me a Kleenex.", when they want a facial tissue. [Big Grin]

I tend to prefer "Pro-Gaff", myself. Permacel doesn't seem to be as sticky as "Pro-Gaff". "Entertainment Industry Tape" seems to be stickier, yet, but it also leaves more stick-um residue behind when it's removed. Pro-Gaff is more of a happy medium.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-10-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The much maligned Magna-Com is an excellent tool that does NOT eat up light. Believe it or not, even THEY have evolved. There are now two different versions offered by ISCO (just the one offered by Schneider). ISCO even stopped using the "MagnaCom" name and calls them Zoom Converters.

With a 47.5mm lens and the ISCO zoom converter type "S" you are only going to get down to a nominal 31mm EF.

The Zoom Converter will move the focal point forward. I can't say if it will be enough.

Other alternatives include an older ISCO lens design (I don't have its part number handy) but it had an EF of 31.2mm. It used a 60mm Ultra prime lens with a .52X magnifier that will move the focal point substantially forward and it looks VERY good. Once upon a time it was called a "Spezial"

From Schneider you have a few options. They make EXTREMELY short focal length lenses for 1.85 projection (one is 19mm the other is slightly longer at 21mm). They are part of their "Super Wide" series of lenses.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/projection/cinema_projection/super_wide/

I believe that magnifier can be used with other focal length prime lenses to obtain longer focal lengths.

Also from Schneider...they have optical extensions for their lenses down to 24mm. They are essentially just a big hunk of optical glass that will move your focal point forward by a inch or two. They were brought out to stop vignetting in ordinary lens turrets.

Steve

[ 11-10-2003, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2003 01:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The much maligned Magna-Com is an excellent tool that does NOT eat up light.
The hell they don't! I've got several of the actual "Magna-Com" branded lenses here and they ALL eat up light as compared to a fixed focus lens that produces the same size image. You're smokin' crack, Steve.

I will agree that the Schneider lenses don't eat light though. I haven't used any of the recent ISCO ones.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-10-2003 02:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not smokin crack...just have used them effectively and not had the light-eating issue.

Steve

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-10-2003 09:18 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, any additional "glass" will reduce light level. With proper anti-reflection coating, it shouldn't amount to more than about 5 to 10 percent less total lumens.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your comments so far. (Yes, Randy, it is the motor that is casting a shadow, but it's good to know who makes that black foil just in case I need some in the future. [Smile] ) A straight lens won't work...the front element is just too far back. I'm just concerned there might be some vignetting when a "zoom converter" is used with a short-focal-length prime lens.

Steve, you wrote...

quote:
Also from Schneider...they have optical extensions for their lenses down to 24mm. They are essentially just a big hunk of optical glass that will move your focal point forward by a inch or two.
All I could find on Schneider's site were two converters, but no "optical extensions." Were they discontinued recently?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-10-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope they are there...just not listed as such...you can find them on the price sheet.

Click Here for a pdf of the price sheet. Refer to page 6 in the "Adapters" section.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: