Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Point me to the right dealers

Author Topic: Point me to the right dealers
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-07-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all I need a couple of 4' pieces of lighted step treads.

I wish to reduce the noise level within the booth so I want to cover the hard wall surfaces with sound absorbing materials. I don't want something that gathers a lot of dust. At the post house I used to work at our screening room(s) interiors had wall coverings made of compressed fiberglass with a cloth cover. I dont recall the name. Is something like that available in smaller tiles rather than large panels? I was also thinking of removing the existing drop ceiling tiles (2' x 2') which are supposedly acoustical and replacing them with tiles that are more absorbant. In both cases they must be fire retardant of course.

So...looking for sources for these various items.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-07-2003 03:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Links:

http://www.thelightingcenter.com/products/8/

http://www.sonicequipment.com/tivoli.htm

http://www.enterpriselighting.com/linecard2.html

http://wulfinstallations.com/products.html

Try Tivoli, Tempo, Tokistar, LED, Celestial, as brand names that make aisle lighting for theatres.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-08-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of booths up here have a accoustic tile made by Armstrong on the walls (it is very similar to fissured ceiling tiles but 1x1)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2003 09:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Get some 2X4 sheets of duct liner and cover them with something that approaches acoustical transparency and which has been flame retardent treated. Also get a fire rating certificate with the cloth when you purchase it....thats normally free. The ductliner comes in a variety of thicknesses and should meet Chicago Fire codes. 2" thickness should be adquate. Also, take a good look at your floor there. I seem to remember it was just a plywood with carpet over it. What works good there is to sandwich plywood / 5/8" drywall / plywood. The top floor surface should not touch any of the walls. The drywall and decoupled plywood will stop alot of the sound thats comming down through the base.

Also consider building acoustical hoods so you can throw away the port glass...another point of sound transmission. A decent acoustical hood that butts up to the lenses and the projector end and flares out to port size will actually drop sound level going through the port by about 30 db more than the glass will. You also get rid of the piece of glass thats in front of your multi thousand dollar lenses. Interestingly, the original Sycamore Theatre had 4 acoustical hoods!! Two for flat and two for scope.

Sounds like some samples of aisle lighting is just what you need. Just call any of the aisle lighting manufacturers and tell them you're Roger Eberts personal Projectionist. Bet they'd be glad to send you some decent samples at N/C. If they won't just let me know. Samples are never a problem.

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-08-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. I'm trying to quieten the booth, not the screening room. Just tired of the noise. Booth floor is concrete with tile.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: