Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Screen/Masking Design/Install Recommendations

Author Topic: Screen/Masking Design/Install Recommendations
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for recommendations for companies that can design and potentially install a screen, masking system and other related hardware into our space. It is not a standard install, as we are working with an existing, multi-use space with preinstalled lighting positions and other architecture. A creative company would be best, as we may also want to install a protective cover for this new screen that can be moved into place when the auditorium is used for another type of event. Amy recommendations and contact information for firms in the US would be really helpful. thanks [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-06-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Major Theatre does this: http://www.majortheatre.com/

They're pretty much the only game in town in this area. Perhaps you have a theatrical rigging company that is closer to you that can do screen/masking/etc.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby Franklin at Franklin Design....his crews travel and they do "turn key" service.
www.franklindesigns.com

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the very same situation. My stage productions and my movies have to stay out of the way of each other as much as possible. On some occasions we run movies right before/after stage shows.

Just two weeks ago we showed "A Hard Day's Night". We had a Beatles cover band play on the stage to warm up the crowd before the movie. I had the screen and masking all flown out to the grid while the band played. 15 minutes before the movie, we closed the main rag, struck the band then flew the screen in and set the speakers behind it. (Speakers are on wheeled carts, just for the purpose.) When we opened the main rag, the movie went on as usual. We had to have extra stage hands on duty for the event but everything went smoothly. It was a good show.

In THIS THREAD there are some pictures that show how my stage and screen are set up.

Further, here are some more pictures of my stage:

-

My screen is flown on the 4th lineset. It's in an iron pipe frame held together with "Kee-Klamps". It is laced into the frame. The bottom masking of the screen is a velour border, 5 feet tall and 30 feet wide. It is tied to the bottom of the screen and black tape forms the bottom border of the screen to hide the ties and grommets.

-

The side masking is made up of two panels of black scrim cloth. We bought them from Syracuse Scnery and Stage Lighting. (Liverpool, NY)

-

The masking panels are made up of black scrim cloth. The inside edges of the panels are black Duvetine cloth. (Sp?) The bottom of the panel has a pipe pocket for weight to hold the panel tight.

-

My masking panels are tied to the fly pipe directly in front (downstage) of the screen In the usual fashion. You can see my colored spike tape markings to denote the positions of "Flat" (Green), "Scope" (Red) and "Academy" (Yellow). There is a 6 foot tall by 45 foot wide black, unpleated border on the same pipe to form the top edge of the masking. If you were so inclined, you could hang the scrim panels on a low-profile traveller track to make changing the format easier.

-

This is how it looks when it's all put together. The main rag is out for clarity. The other thread has a better picture with the main rag flown in.

-

You may not believe that this arrangement will work but it does nicely. You might think that the scrim cloth is too transparent, which it IS when the lights are on behind.

-

BUT... When the lights are down and the movie is on-screen, the scrim is 100% black. In the pictures in the other thread you can see some of the white screen through the scrim but it's not too noticible. We chose this arrangement for best sound transparency. The open weave of the scrim cloth lets almost all of the sound come through yet it still looks good when the movie is on-screen.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Thanks for the link. There is at least one rigging company here that handles screen installs, and we will be in touch with them, but we want to get a few other players at the table.

Richard, thanks as well. They've even done some work here in the twin cities.

Randy, Nice set-up. [Big Grin] if only we had flyspace [Frown]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 11:55 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How large a screen? Scott had some pictures somewhere of the Williamsburg Theater with a rollup. The downside was that it was not perforated, & speakers could not be behind it. If you've got a bigshot house sound system with a focused speaker array hanging out front somewhere, it seems like it should be fairly successfully used for films (certainly for mono).

How will the screen be placed in this space? Can you use other elements there like borders & legs for masking if you go to a rollup?

The Saenger in New Orleans strikes its screen & frame after use, instead of flying it out. It may be new-ish, you could contact their production director to get some info about the setup.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 03:03 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We may end up getting a roll-up, but I am hoping for a permanent install, as it will be a much more professional looking set-up, and be less work per screening. Plus, I am concerned with a roll-up sagging or rippling a bit over time. It seems like this often happens with large roll up screens. If we do go for a roll-up screen, the side masks aren't difficult to figure out, but what are ways to mask the top and bottom of the image, assuming that common height is not a possibility. (That would require a number of new lenses) If we go for a roll-up, we will probably shoot for 30' wide. If we go for a more permanent solution, and my fingers are crossed, it may be up to 40' wide.

Randy - I take it you don't do top and bottom masking. is this correct? If you do, how do you do it?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Give Richard Pickett a call. He does great work at fair prices. 214-219-3049

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: