Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Any problems with Matrix 3 Reel 5?

Author Topic: Any problems with Matrix 3 Reel 5?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-05-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told some prints may have blotches or other distracting elements on reel 5, but I haven`t seen any myself yet.

|  IP: Logged

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt see anything on the one i saw last night?

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I saw some of those silly red dots on reel 2 of one of our 35mm prints last night.
Against the green-tinged colour palette, they were quite distracting at the time.

Before you ask, I've not had time to watch the other print. :-)

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 04:30 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Alex! LTNS!

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 07:09 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was some "shadowing" across the left of the image towards the end, lasting for about 10 mins, not sure if it was reel 5 though, as I was almost asleep by this point in the film. I requested another print as there was so much wrong with one of ours.

Dan

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 07:38 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blotchiness or dark spots along the left hand side of the image may be due to accidental "bleeding" of the developer used to develop silver in the analog soundtrack, into the picture area. Request a replacement reel.

Cyan dye soundtracks will eliminate this problem, which is a significant source of print rejections and waste:

http://www.dyetracks.org

Here is how silver is redeveloped in the analog soundtrack area for current dye+silver tracks:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en/motion/support/processing/h249/h2409.pdf (see "Optical Sound Processing, page 34)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We seem to have received a print which has very soft focus. I was looking at the scene where they are loading up the little fiter machines a'la "Star Wars."

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We seem to have received a print which has very soft focus. I was looking at the scene where they are loading up the little fiter machines a'la "Star Wars."

When you have lots of digital EFX and CGI, it's hard to know whether the "soft focus" is simply a lack of sufficient resolution, or a printing problem. Were there scenes that did look sharp? Were there differences among reels?

Recall in "Star Wars Episode 5: Attack of the Clones", much of the CGI seemed sharper than the 24P live action. Yoda was often the sharpest character on the screen in more ways than one. [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print is actually rather good. We've had better, but this ranks up there. The image is stable... no jitter that I'd tend to blame on the film. Color balance is also good. The cap code placement on our print is subtle enough that I think I may have seen it once, but I'm not yet sure.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All three of my prints look good, some of the cgi is soft, but no real film issues.

I am with Jack, I only saw cap code once, during the scene where
Smith chases the bodyguard and little girl throught the building where the Oracle is. It was very small, and difficult to pick out. I wish they would use that more than the other CRAP code.

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had print #651, 652, 653.
All three prints had a jacked up reel 5. We replaced all of them. Horrible blotches, mostly on the left side of the screen.

Edit: I think those were the print numbers. I forget the first digit, but I know they were consecutive.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-10-2003 08:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All three prints had a jacked up reel 5. We replaced all of them. Horrible blotches, mostly on the left side of the screen.

Send those defective reels to someone who thinks cyan dye soundtracks won't offer advantages by eliminating the need to redevelop silver in the analog soundtrack area. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: