Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » House Music! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: House Music!
Stephen Pike
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 03:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Pike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Film-Tech!

I am a projectionist in the UK, and I am puzzled as to what music should be played as House Music?

Many people have suggested a Moods cd, however I cannot find anything like this on the web! If anyone could suggest some house music that is suitable for all types of audience, I would be very greatful.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no music is suitable for all audiences, so if that's what you want, go with no music. don't just assume that elevator music or soft rock or clean r&b is inoffensive to all. to some, it is quite offensive.

carl

Jason Thode
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 04:32 AM      Profile for Jason Thode   Email Jason Thode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know here in the U.S. our big theatre chains have the house music programed by advertising. Carl's right though no matter what your not going to be able to please everyone. [Frown]

Jason

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-30-2003 05:08 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stephen!

Welcome to F-T! (you too Jason)

6 pages covering this topic can be found here .

[ 10-30-2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am a projectionist in the UK, and I am puzzled as to what music should be played as House Music?
I think you may have answered that question there, play some house music [Big Grin] Drum and bass, anything you can dance to is good house music, maybe even a guest DJ

Sorry, I couldn't resist; we always have Movietunes, but in hearing them every day I have found a distinct pattern. Thrown in a song every generation will like, along with new stuff and some Jazz, can't go wrong [Cool]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CD's should not be played at all the only appropriate music for the cinema is a mighty wurlitzur or compton riseing up out of thepit to be played by an organist [Smile]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 10:27 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always thought movie soundtrack disks from the film(s) that are playing (or coming soon) in the theater at that particular time would be the definitive thing to play. In fact, the distributors should send them out to the theaters for free.

Fail that, as far as I'm concerened, the only kind of music that is pretty much guaranteed not to offend anybody is "light classical". True! They may be bored to death but they won't be offended. The only caveat to that would be to avoid playing lots of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and other ubiquitous tunes.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not worried about possible licensing issues, from the sue happy record industry, then you can play just about anything you want.

By going with the ever evil "Movietunes" at least licensing is taken care of. As stated before, not matter what you play, you can't make everyone happy. Just don't play anything offensive and you should be OK.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For our annual showings of White Christmas I play a CD of theatre organ Christmas music.

It's not the real thing, Gordon, but it's as close as I can get.
[Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony at least you try [thumbsup]

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 01:07 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play music that I thought would be *right* for the crowd. I had an mp3 server and each auditorium could be running different 'house music'. If I was running a kids movie, I'd play some pop and kids music, if Sci-Fi, I'd run sci-fi showtunes, etc. I would setup the playlists each week when I setup the ticketing and scheduling computer.

To get around licensing issues I just paid ASCAP and BMI their extortion fees (about $350/year/ea for the 3 screens I had).

--Chris

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the manager in one of ours multiplex has allowed the employees to brign their CD on the CD changer of the lobby, the music is an horrible mess off all genre and is not suitable for all audiences: ie.: What do You think when an employee put an Hip-Hop music on the CD player, at loud level, when old people customers whent to theater for a "Old time movie" matinee [Frown]
And Of course theses guys don't respect CD of other peoples, they never replace it in the jewel CD boxes, and the player comme realy full of dirt.

For this reason I prefer keep the CD Player locked in a rack, and only the manager is authorised to choose the music, regardless to the Theater's identity.

IMO, I think chillout music could be an good choice for a theather lobby (like Hotel Costes, Buddha Bar, Cafe del Mar, and manny others) But not the entire day, or Your staff could be insane !
Why not prepare an selection of various CD of different style for each moment of the journey, and play it at precise moments. Some CD changers allow the option to create Playlist.

I like House music, (I wish to go to the ministry Of sound one night) But I'm conscient that could not be apreciated by some customers in a theater.

Bye,

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another option is XM Radio. You can buy a business account for $24.95/month and that way you can play whatever music suits your expected audience.

Jason - The lawsuits you are referring to are courtesy of the Recording Industry Association of America, a trade organization (it is to the music industry as NATO is to theatre owners. The "record industry" itself is not one entity, but hundreds of companies and thousands of people.) The RIAA does not sue public places playing unlicensed music -- that would be BMI or ASCAP (among others), the music publishing companies.

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, welcome. We play middle of the road music, such as lve albums etc, and then the NOW albums on kids mats..... we do have loads of mood cds as well, drop me a line if you want any names etc. peter@royal-cinema.co.uk

James Falloon
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for James Falloon   Email James Falloon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I try and play something approate for the movie playing to "set the mood" and similar to the music in the movie. Usually soundtracks are farly good, listen to the cd first and make note of any unsuitable or possibly ofensive tracks.

John Williams is usually a pritty good choice.

And yes, who needs DTS, dolby digital or for that matter sound, when you have a Wurlitzur! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: