Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie CXC console

Author Topic: Christie CXC console
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 03:29 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do these relate to the other Christie consoles? They have many features of the SLC console, but I could not find a specific manual anywhere.

|  IP: Logged

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 08:30 AM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a few hundred made in '88-90. Same reflector and power supply as the SLC20/30. IREM igniter. Structural stability was probably its biggest weakness.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 11:35 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these the units with odd coloured doors, held on by velcro ?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd colored? They are somewhat beige-white. The doors cover the entire side of the console. The door on the non-operating side is locked by a small hex head bolt hidden inside. To open it, you have to reach across the power suppy with a long arm and loosen the screw. Who comes up with ideas like that?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screw was a UL requirement....which was misguided in the real service world.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UL requirement?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-29-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 3 of them in the Cinemas 6 in St. George. I worked on them a couple of weeks ago. They stick out like a sore thumb....looks like a big Frigidare [Roll Eyes] !
Mark @ CLACO

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UL ( Underwriter's Lab = CE = CSA = TUV = CCC ) required that the access panels not be easily detachable if it did not have a keyed lock set. There was always one screw that involved reaching from another point by an "experienced technical person" who would go through yoga positions to reach them and risk injuring themselves in the process [uhoh]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-30-2003 06:57 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, the operating side is only secured by a primitive square key lock, relatively easy to open even without the proper key, while the other side is really hard to open. Actually, I found opening it not to difficult, but putting the screw back in without the help of another person was impossible. Due to the "structural problems", the door was quite warped, so I had to reach inside to put the screw back in, and my helper had to wrestle the door down to make the holes line up...
Then there is another key to secure the motorized lamp alignment controls. The standard console key went in without problems, but it wouldn`t turn at all. Was the lock corroded inside or would I have needed another key? Well, there was no other key around, so I found myself bridging the contacts on the lock in order to activate the controls, and another wonderful evening in Christieland finally found its successful and happy conclusion.
By the way, there are no thumbscrews on the little motors, so if one of them is broken, you are really [sex] ed!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thumbscrews would have double the cost of the console [Wink]

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 08:08 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cost or value ?! Just joking, we like the Christie consoles..

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-30-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing about all this nonsense is that when you finally have the door open, most of the inside is well accessible. So there was a basic good idea behind this. For instance, the diode side of the power supply is more easily accessible than on the SLC console. But apart from that, the SLC consoles are far more user-friendly and serviceable than this one here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: