Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replacement BNC Cables (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Replacement BNC Cables
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-28-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a really tough time finding a good set of replacement cables for my test gear.

The originals were stolen by airline staff and, since they were a gift, I have no idea where to go for more -- they were purchased at a trade show so it's not like I could "go back to the source."

These were the BNC cables for the oscilloscope and they were super-thin and brass-colored -- my memory is that it seemed to have a transparent/translucent outer jacket and what I was actually seeing was braiding.

What I liked most about these cables was their thin, lightweight physical characteristics but also they never seemed to tangle.

I would appreciate any help locating exact or similar cables.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-28-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How thin is thin?

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-28-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe 3mm diameter or so?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-28-2003 11:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
..and probably lot o' attenuation...

Stick with the 50-ohm 2" rigid copper feedline stock....good up to several thousand volts.... [beer]

(Seriously, sounds like they were teflon. Military/aircraft stuff...)

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-29-2003 07:04 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two inches? [Eek!]

Phil, that sounds unmanageable somehow. I can't tell if you're joking! [Confused]

Let's try it *this* way instead...

I need new BNC cables and I'd like to hear about people's favorite ones and where I could get 'em. I hate the ones that I have now because they always seem to get tangled no matter how carefully I put them away.

...and they aren't color coded. [puke]

(and, one more thing, we're also out of coffee.)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 08:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some links to vendors of pre-made BNC Jumpers:

http://www.hangar18surplus.com/catalog/i101.html

http://www.coincarwash.com/html/supplieswv.html

http://www.etslan.com/Download/cat2k_ld.pdf

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You aren't wanting BNC to BNC cables...you are wanting BNC to test probes...right? If so, just build your own. [Cool]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to find a source of solder on male BNC cable connectors
All I can find these days are crimp on or twist on and they are for RG58 cable not nice flexible testprobe cable

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More vendors of test probes:

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/hameg/pricelist.htm

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/html/more_whats_new.htm

http://www.tucker.com/java/jsp/index.jsp?refurl=

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solder-type connectors tend to have inconsistent impedence (and thus an impedence mismatch with the characteristic impedence of the cable), causing VSWR problems. So they're discouraged for RF or high frequency applications. It turns out crimp is better.

This is probably why you're having trouble finding solder-type BNC connectors. On the other hand, usually you can solder crimp-type connectors.

--jhawk

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the older dubber mag preamps use a BNC for the ehad connection and I find the crimp ones don't solder very well

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best source I know for bnc video cables of all varieties and gauges is Markertek, their web site is markertek.com. The mostly deal with the big boys in coax (Belden, Gepco, Canare). They can also custom fabricate pretty much any length and connector you want. They have a seperate e-mail address (crimp@markertek.com), if you write and tell them what you need they will discuss speciality connectors and cable types with you. Stick with Belden and Canare, Gepco seems very stiff, IMHO.

Are you looking to solder just the center pin, or the whole thing? Kings and Trompeter still make BNC cables with the little hole in the lower part of the pin, but you still have to crimp the sleeve. I haven't run into a completely solder on bnc in many, many years.

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the breakout's from BNC to pin staking plugs that Ponoma offers.

Ponoma - Breakouts

What are some of the favorite crimp connector BNC's out there that people like. I have tried a few brands out but have not found one yet that I actually really like.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 07:01 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed thousands of BNC crimp-on connectors (you can imagine how many there are in an entire television station with all RGB component systems) and found them to be superior to the soldered type. The crimp connectors use a gold-plated center pin which won't oxidize over time and if you do the job with the proper tools, they'll never come loose. Too many folks try to do the job with Radio Shack crimpers and then wonder why their connections fail. The other common mistake is using the wrong cable. It may be labelled RG-59, but there are different types.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-30-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John makes an excellent point on the cable.

With BNCs...one absolutely match the cable to the connector...there are MANY different BNC cimps out there (even within one brand like AMP or KINGS)...you have to use the right crimp for the cable if you want to to be a success.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: