Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Upgrades for DTS-6 and DTS-6D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Upgrades for DTS-6 and DTS-6D
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-28-2003 09:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two of the DTS-6 units and I want to upgrade them one last time before parts disappear. These little fellas have *never* had an upgrade. I thought I would replace the caddy drives with drawers like the 6D and I'm wondering if there are any other chips, boards, etc that should change out at the same time. Are the CD drive upgrade kits still available?

As for the 6D units they are also the same as when I installed them. What, if anything, has been upgraded on those? Maybe this is why I cannot "trick" the 6D players into playing a disc without the film..?

In either case -- Don't they put little stickers on the ROM chips to tell you what version it is? What is the latest revision for these two DTS types?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-28-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
1.46 is the current version, and yes the drive upgrade kits are still available. With dts buying back people's dts6 units for $1000, they should have plenty of spare parts to continue to provide support for quite some time, so I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything except for the drives if they are giving you trouble. The firmware and everything you need comes in those kits.

dts6 #9005E19300
dts6-D #9005E19400

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-28-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad -- how do I know if I've got the "good" drives in the DTS-6D? Weren't there two brands? One evil, one good?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your unit has never been upgraded you will have to update U14 chip to v1.46 and remove the U12 chip from the timecode board. You will also be replacing the SCSI card and adding a board to the unit. It is pretty straight forward. I just updated a DTS 6D last week with new drives and new SCSI card.

the latest drives are CD-RW year I think was 2001 for production. most likely you have dated drives before that in the 6D

Manny these will be the drives they send you.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-28-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hell would they put CD-RW drives in a DTS playback unit?

The Toshibas were the crappy first drives in the 6D. The good ones are the Teac drives.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just upgraded our 6D a couple months ago and the drives in the upgrade kit were CD-RW. I don't understand why. Maybe the regular cd-roms are in short supply now. [Confused]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should still be able to get TEAC 32X CD-ROM drives on the net. The TCR IC v1.46 is, I think, available for free from dts. Of course, you have to check with them about that. It is only for timecode processing, but you should have this most recent version. Then you basically only need the SCSI board because the old one is too slow for the current drives. The board which holds the AQRM chip is only for compatibility with older movies. You may be able to get these components individually if you ask nicely.
There is a technote from dts which explains step-by-step how you install these components and there are even pictures! In color!!

I hear it is generally more and more difficult to get SCSI components these days. Some even say it`s on its way out. dts is working on an IDE upgrade. You might want to wait a little with upgrading your systems right now to see how this comes along.

[ 10-29-2003, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Michael Schaffer ]

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-29-2003 06:53 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"dts is working on an IDE upgrade"

...for the DTS-6 or the 6D ?

I'm not sure I understand fully why CD-RW is such a bad idea. I know the DTS units are playback-only and so it seems like a simple waste of money but I'm wondering if there is perhaps some other issue...are CD-RW drives inferior to CD-ROM drives in some way? [Confused]

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CD-RW? Do you mean that DTS is mounting rewritable (burner) units on their units?

I know that RW units are better to read also bad disks since they have the capability to increase laser power (since they are able to write...). But I also know that CDRW units are less reliable (MTBF) than CDR units since the laser head is heavier and more complex.

Bye
A

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-29-2003 08:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS had to supply R/W CD ROMS while the dock workers strike was on. They had thousands of TEAC drives sitting on a boat for a couple of months. The original caddy drives were the best of the lot. There are still many in service.

If you do the trade up to the new XD-10 keep your old TC reader and save another 750.00!! Just be sure the TC reader is still in GWO. A customer of ours just ordered 4 new XD units that way and saved even more.

Mark @ CLACO

Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the problem is that the maximum speed drives that will work are 4x. This is why you cannot take any newer SCSI drives and have them work. Greg Mueller is up on all the details and he could probably give you a more accurate answer than I can.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
matthew

I knew that DTS forces CD rom speed to increase reliability and MTBF of the units.

Mark,
What GWO means?

Bye
A

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 11:25 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GWO = Good Working Order

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John!
A

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IDE kit is for the 6D. It will probably also work in the 6, but that remains to be seen. I understand it will be available sometime early next year. I would wait until then and see if it works with the 6. If it doesn`t, you can still get the classic upgrade kits.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: