Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » (Travel) Ghostbusting this Halloween

Author Topic: (Travel) Ghostbusting this Halloween
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this thread:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000669

Don Anderson wrote about travel ghost:

quote:
Some credits are nice and crisp, while others are overburned ( I guess thats the word I'm looking for). But, you are right about the ghosting. I had a few people walk out 3/4 way through the film, saying ...."why would anyone one pay to see this s#@!. But, hmmmmm, they did pay to see it [Wink]
I replied:

quote:
Of course, travel ghost (the shutter not completely blocking the light during film pulldown) is most visible on white titles against a black background, like closing credits. It's usually more visible on the right hand side of the image. If you see travel ghosting, by all means adjust the shutter timing or consider changing the shutter to a larger blade. Be sure you do not have excessive "play" in the gear train between the intermittent drive and the shutter shaft. If I see travel ghost anywhere, I bring it to the attention of the theatre so they can fix it.

Being Halloween week, do any others have tips and techniques for evaluating and fixing "Travel Ghost" problems?

Other than simple timing problems, insufficient shutter blade size, and excessive play in the gear train, has anyone encountered unusual sources of "travel ghost", such as a shutter blade warped or burned by excessive radiant energy?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
people walking out the ghosting was that bad? We have had circumstances where the ghosting was horrible but you could only really tell when words where on the screen (beginning and ending credits). I'm not very knowledgable about projection yet, but we adjust the ghosting knob or we check to see if the shutter blade is intact, especially in our 7k house...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have had circumstances where the ghosting was horrible but you could only really tell when words where on the screen (beginning and ending credits).
Even if the travel ghost is not severe enough to be visible in the picture, I would consider noticeable travel ghost in the closing credits to be "Film Done Wrong" [Frown] . And most movies have at least a few scenes with lights against a dark background (e.g., car headlights, streetlights, lit buildings) where even a bit of travel ghost would be distracting. [thumbsdown]

Hope you can get it fixed ASAP.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find travel ghosting *very* distracting. Nip it -- Nip it in the bud! [Wink]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-29-2003 06:44 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ghost in the top half -- shutter is late

Ghost in the bottom half -- shutter is early

...or is it the other way 'round?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 08:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ghosting above titles or other item of interest means you're seeing the frame leave the gate (downward film travel projecting upwards on the screen due to the lens flipping the image) which means the shutter is late and didn't hide the image before the film travel began. Ghosting below means the shutter is early as you are seeing the image projected just as the film is coming to a stop.

Ghosting both above and below means you have an undersized shutter blade incapable of hiding the entire pulldown period or some lamphouse vs. projector issues where the physical size of the shutter blade is unable to completely block the cone of light.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 08:34 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the severity of the ghosting seems to waver, coming and going, check for excessive play in the gear train between the intermittent drive and the shutter shaft. If it is perfectly constant, it's likely due to incorrect timing (ghosting above OR below light areas), or insufficient shutter blade size (ghosting above AND below).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also if the projector is belt drive check belt tension

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 03:19 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From time to time I will make a new test strip for checking timing (travel ghost)...

I will cut the credits from a few old trailers, it is very easy to adjust when looking at the dark background.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 03:55 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple way to remember how to adjust the shutter is BRAT...

Bottom Retard, Advance Top. One of those silly little things I was told many years ago by a seasoned engineer that has stuck with me.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-30-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even easier...trails up, turn shutter blade up...trails down turn the blad down.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: