Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hooking up DVD sound to CP500 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hooking up DVD sound to CP500
Kelsey Crozier
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Kelsey Crozier   Email Kelsey Crozier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, what we had previously done was use the non sync 2 input. What head office now want's us to do is buy a Yamaha receiver and use it to decode the sound and use the 6 ch input (external digital processor).

My question is do we need to buy this new Yamaha receiver to decode or is there some way to setup the cp500 to do it?
Thanks,
Kelsey

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this is possible on a CP650, not on a CP500 so decoding externally and feeding into the 6 track input is the way to go. I'm assuming the receiver you plan to use has line level outputs for each signal not just power (speaker) outputs. You might also consider a DVD player with built-in decoding.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-27-2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need the 6 track external input card and a custom DB25 to RCA cable. I can set you up with both if you want to drop me an email. The card just slides in and the DB25 cable just plugs into the back of the unit. Super simple once you have the components.

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Brad said you need to make sure the CP500 has the external 6 channel card. I would assume your setup has DTS move kits so this is probably not a problem but check to make sure.

We built literally hundreds of these conversion boxes for Famous Players, and judging by your first comment with the Yamaha receivers you are looking to duplicate the exact set up. If you want, contact me and I can send you the details of the FP setup. We installed two leveling pots for the L+R input to the Yamaha unit. Also gave versatility for other set ups.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-28-2003 04:11 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right...
quote:
You might also consider a DVD player with built-in decoding.
Why go with a separate receiver/decoder and have an extra piece of equipment... another failure point. That is really a poor solution.

If you got a player with a built-in decoder, you would have the old player as a back-up in case the primary one failed and the show could still go on.

>>> Phil

Kelsey Crozier
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 04:36 AM      Profile for Kelsey Crozier   Email Kelsey Crozier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I knew Dolby has the card on back order, but the custom cable has been arranged and will arrive in the next day or two so I can plug it in and imagine how it sounds for now.
The DVD player we have is a Panasonic DVD-S35, it has progressive scan and 480P/480I switchable component video. Nothing too fancy $145Can.
Thanks for the quick replies. I have to say I have been lurking here for some time now and this is the most professional and polite forum on the net. Brad and the other moderators do an excellent job.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-28-2003 04:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely get a player with a built-in decoder. It's probably cheaper than getting an external decoder for your existing player, anyway.

Having said that, how often are you going to be showing DVDs with 5.1 sound? If it's a regular thing, then it makes sense to set everything up this way. If it's a super-rare event, why not just stick with what you have and set up custom formats for non-sync 2 (you'll probably need at least three--mono only, straight left/right to left/right channels, and LCRS Dolby matrix without NR). I've done several video shows lately (Beta SP, Digi-beta, and HD), and all have had mono or 2-track (left/right) sound...no matrixed surround, even.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 06:01 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelsey,

Maybe you need one of these...

Dolby DMA8

---------------------------------------------------------------
Dolby’s new Digital Media Adapter™ is designed to work with existing cinema processors and sound systems so that all cinemas may provide audio decoding solutions to today'’s alternative, digital programming challenges.

A range of digital inputs allows the DMA™ 8 to accept audio from several sources, including servers, disks, tape playback systems, and satellite and cable links and feed it into an existing sound system.

The DMA8 also provides a straightforward audio interface into existing cinema processors, is compatible with theatre automation systems, and can support external cinema adapters, such as the Dolby® Digital Adapter (Model DA20), which provides rapid and trouble-free installation without affecting the ability to play back film.

Operation of the DMA8 is simple. Front-panel buttons allow a choice between Film mode and Digital Media playback mode. In Film mode, audio is played back from the traditional film source. In Digital Media mode, digital input signals from non-film sources (such as servers) are decoded and then routed into the cinema processor. Current supported audio formats are PCM (up to eight channels) and Dolby Digital, as found on DVD and DTV broadcasts (up to six channels). The DMA8 can be set up via a laptop computer and external software, allowing custom configuration of several audio settings based upon the source material.

The benefit with Dolby Digital is the use of metadata within the encoded bitstream. Metadata is information about the program material that is added at the time of content creation. The DMA8 can interpret the metadata and automatically configure the output between different audio input signals, thus reducing the need for external control and simplifying operation.

Built for use in today’s diverse entertainment complexes, Dolby’s Digital Media Adapter is an investment that will expand the capabilities of any cinema beyond traditional film applications.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Regards
Steve Brown

Kelsey Crozier
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 06:21 AM      Profile for Kelsey Crozier   Email Kelsey Crozier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, you read my mind. That is exactly what I was hoping existed. Now that I think about it I even remember reading a pamphlet pimping it a while back. Now what is the cost vs. a yamaha receiver I wonder?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 06:49 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the creative labs little box is handy to take the output of a dvd and break out the dolby digital to feed the analogue input card of the cp500
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=2&subcategory=&product=585

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 06:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at the spec for this thing a few months ago, and also read the manual when Brad posted it. I've never seen a price on it, but I'm pretty sure you could buy a several (maybe a rack full of) domestic receivers for the price of one of these. Have Dolby ever produced anything that was cheap? Also, this thing does a lot more than just decode Consumer Dolby Digital; it handles Dolby E, for example, I have seen the prices for Dolby E only equipment, and they are expensive.

Darren, you have one of these in your rack for screen two, don't you? Do you know a price for it?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-28-2003 07:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DMA-8 has a list price of $6000.00 It is not nearly as heavily discounted as other Dolby Cinema gear since it is quasi-pro as well as Cinema.

It does indeed handle Dolby-E in addition to Consumer and Professional AC-3. It also had 8-channels worth of D/A conversion. It has several inputs, including a coax AES, RCA S/PDIF, Optical Toslink, and 8-channels of AES on a 25-pin Dsub. The unit will auto switch between the inputs based on a installer choosable priority system.

Steve

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 08:02 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's something like 4000 pounds, I thought it would be much more than that. Is Dolby gear generally much cheaper over there than it is here? I was guessing that this thing would be something like 5000 to 7000 pounds.

In many cases, from subway tickets to pizza if you rub out the dollar sign in a price, and write in a pound sign, you get the price that we have to pay. In other words we pay about 40% more than you do. This even applies to products made here, not that there are many of those now.

Of course, you can't make any meaningful comparison or prices, without also comparing earnings, and I don't have any figures there.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 10:41 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelsey,

You have a private message from a local. [Smile]

Jason

Mike Miller
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 12:27 PM      Profile for Mike Miller   Email Mike Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelsey, is this for our Avalon, or the Galaxy. If its the Avalon, get Kelly to call Me, I have this exact setup in my theatre in Kelowna

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: