Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » douser on christie projector

Author Topic: douser on christie projector
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a problem with the douser on a Christie SLC p35GPS projector. It started going shut during the show and when closing then opening it with the switch it closes again slowly on its own. The manual says nothing about adjusting it. Does the solenoid only used to open or close it? What keeps it open? I saw an allen screw secured by a 7/16" nut that seems like it is some sort of adjustment. Messing with this only seems to help it for a short time then the same problem again. This has also happened on a couple of other projectors here, the douser going shut during the show. Any advice.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-26-2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Do a search. There are a lot of tips in the archives here about this.

That allen screw is supposed to be an adjustment for that. Perhaps the projector belts are not on the machine at the proper tension causing the unit to shake and work the allen screw out???

Personally, I change two wires on the automation and set it so the xenon fires when the douser would normally open and close, then I remove the douser flat out.

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 08:16 AM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Brads suggestion......That Christie douser is nothing but a pain in the you know what.

Lauren Fisher
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Lauren Fisher   Email Lauren Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we always tape the douser after it opens...to keep it from falling down until we can fix the problem. its a quick solution until one can find and fix the source.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be wrong but I believe Brad's solution works with the CA21 but not 3Q. If you have the 3Q automation your best bet is to get the new dousers and adjust the screw. The old dousers will warp in a few months and if not removed they will get stuck into position.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Lauren Fisher: ...we always tape the douser after it opens...

In many of the theaters I worked at that had problems with their Christie dowsers the solution was to put a rubber band around the end of the dowser "push/pull rod" and then around the jogger control box. If you get the right size band, the tension provided enough holding power to keep the dowser up but still allowed the thing to close at the end of the show.

I never really liked using those "duct tape & bailing wire" kinds of solutions but it's preferable to telling unskilled workers to fiddle around inside the machines with tools. Every time I would visit the theater I would know which projectors needed their dowsers adjusted by looking for the rubber bands.

I understand that many of these kinds of problems have been a lot less common since Christie has made modifications to their designs but that doesn't help all those theaters that have older equipment and can't/don't make the mods.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 12:37 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is my douser's solution , it really works.

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 02:17 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always hated the idea of taping a douser on a Christie projector it makes more problems then good and most of the time damages the douser Christie has made some atempets to repair the douser design problems they have but the only way I see the best way to fix the Christie douser problems is to do exactly what Germain Marin did to his Christie projector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: