Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dolby adjustment controls max min?

Author Topic: dolby adjustment controls max min?
Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question about the sound adjustment controls inside the dolby processor:
There are for example adjustment controls inside the cp65 for the surrounds.
There is a treble control. Will i boost or cut it when I turn it CW? And will i boost or cut the bass when I turn the bass control?
I can see it is numbered from 1 to 3. 2 is the center position I presume.
Please give me some answers. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-26-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mess with them unless you know what you are doing and have the proper equipment (an RTA) to make the adjustments.

-Aaton

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
Dolby's manuals recomend that the equalizer settings of each channel should be pointing mostly at 12 o'clock, and no more than 3 o'clock or less than 9 o'clock. The bass and treble controls should be as clost to 12 o'clock as possible. If you turn them clockwise YES you are boosting them up and anticlockwise you are reducing them.
Hope this have been helpful.
Demetris Thoupis

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>If you turn them clockwise YES you are boosting them up and anticlockwise you are reducing them.

The manual is confusing. In the section about subwoofer equalisation it says that turning "cut" max counter-clockwise will produce maximum cut en max CW will produce minimum cut...
So is this just the case for cut?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-26-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the question merits why do you want to adjust them
If you don't have the experience and the test equipment leave them alone.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-26-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demetris: those are the wrong controls- those are the rough adjustments on the Cat 64 screen channel EQ cards.

Patrick is referring to the parametric eq settings for the surrounds on the Cat 441 card.

-Aaron

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 02:17 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ask this because I want to look at the bass adjustment control of the surrounds, because maybe this is the reason that sometimes the surrounds crackle a little... If not I could easily set them back to the original setting.
So I still don't know which side will cut the bass. If it follows the "standard" CW should boost the bass and CCW should cut it [Smile] Is this the case?

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the surrounds crackle a little, sound like they are distorting or one of the speakers if u/s.

Is it one speaker only that crackles? sugest you leave the CP well alone, and get a cinema engineer in who knows where and what to look for.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clockwise will boost and counter-clockwise will cut.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: