Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Design Review - MiT XLC Console (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Design Review - MiT XLC Console
Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving Image Technologies would like to take this opportunity to review our new console design with the people that will be using it – the projectionists and technicians of the world. We have been fortunate to be able to start from a ‘clean slate’ to incorporate many of the contemporary features/improvements/suggestions that have been made to us since we have started this endeavor as well as from our own personal experiences in the booth. The result so far (we think), is an elegant design in simplicity, symmetry and functionality. We look forward to your comments and suggestions, and although we may not be able to implement everyone’s suggestions into the products, we certainly appreciate your participation and will consider them all.

[Console shown with doors removed.]

-

-

-

-

• Integrated two-piece cabinet design - separable for ‘lamphouse only’ requirements or ease of handling for difficult booth locations/installations.
• Narrow, 21 inch width footprint - useful for going into side-by-side digital/film installations or cramped booths.
• Lamp is replaceable from either side of the console/lamphouse, with no tools required – knob/clamp mechanisms on each end of the lamp.
• All doors are reversible, allowing them to open front-to-back or back-to-front.
• Dual hour meters, one for cumulative system hours and one re-settable meter for lamp hours.
• Air intake from the rear of the console permits use of an air filter (if desired) – airflow sensor paddle switches will signal if the filter does get dirty.
• High reactance power supply using all 150A, positive SCRs and ripple reducing filters on the DC output.
• Innovative '5-speed' power tap shift design – similar to a stick shift on a car, no clutch required but the power should be off to prevent arcing.
• 6RU of rack space from the operator side or rear of the console – not concurrently but provides the capability to mount automation or other electronics from the rear of the console.
• Up to 21 breakers, (14 optional, UL 489 branch-rated breakers) – for those customers who like to do power distribution in the console.
• Concealed internal wiring, routing via ducts and channels to minimize cable exposure – cleaner look, just because we could.
• 14 inch nickel reflector for all wattages, multi-layer dichroic coatings with optional secondary IR/UV filter for wattages over 4kW.
• High precision motorized or manual lamp focus options.
• IREM™ A/C igniter with auto-strike circuit.
• Dual color (Green/Red) LED status indicators for independent monitoring of interlock points, system ready and three phase input voltages – simple ‘green = good’, ‘red = bad’ indication of interlocks and power status.
• 115VAC @ 10A output winding from the power supply transformer – convenient for export applications.
• 24VDC @ 2A output from the power supply for automation and interlock – no more 115v or 230v interlock circuits or separate supplies required.
• Status outputs for future remote monitoring of the system (interlock, power, wattage, hours, etc) - future network monitoring of lamp hours and error messages.
• Four configurations, 2-3kW and 4-7kW for 230V or 415V, 50/60Hz.
• Separate ducting paths for signal, control and power wiring.
• Co-axial alignment of main blower and optical path – cooling design provides cooling to the front ferrule of the lamp for all wattages.
• Convenience outlets on both operator and non-operator sides.

[ 10-23-2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Bevan Wright ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-21-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can tell so far it sounds good. I'm sure Brad will have a suggestion or 2 (or 3, or 40). But I do find one aspect especially interesting:
quote:
The list above had the following item:
• Lamp is replaceable from either side of the console/lamphouse, with no tools required – knob/clamp mechanisms on each end of the lamp.

What kind of bulb will this take? Will MiT manufacture the bulbs or should one stick with the Christie bulbs?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 04:11 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
High precision motorized or manual lamp focus options.

Do many theatres actually use the motorized lamp focus option to automate adjustment of the light distribution between scope and flat?

quote:
Air intake from the rear of the console permits use of an air filter (if desired) – airflow sensor paddle switches will signal if the filter does get dirty.

I assume this would allow using cooling air source from outside the projection room? Great idea.

quote:
14 inch nickel reflector for all wattages, multi-layer dichroic coatings with optional secondary IR/UV filter for wattages over 4kW.

Hope you really keep that metal mirror cool to maintain efficiency in removing heat energy. The secondary UV/IR filter should reflect the heat to an efficient heat sink that is also well cooled.

quote:
knob/clamp mechanisms on each end of the lamp.

Great idea, but how do you keep them from getting stuck after hundreds of hours of heat and corrosion?

quote:
High reactance power supply using all 150A, positive SCRs and ripple reducing filters on the DC output.

Don't cut corners on the power supply. Go for the lowest ripple possible. Will only 3-phase units be available, even for smaller lamps?

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - Any lamp type, standard will be HTP but adaptors can be made for any type.

John - Yes, quite a few theatres use the automatic flat/scope correction but that is Christie patented, MiT will not be doing automatic adjustment of the lamp.
Clean nickel plating and considerable electrical/mechanical contact will prevent sticking.
We are only doing three phase 2-7kw supplies, low ripple (for a linear supply) and high reliability is the goal.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-21-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much to improve on here. For what it's worth...

I would like to see a nice bright work light at the top of the rectifier half of the console. It would make servicing easier.

Is it possible to implement a 20 minute time delay relay circuit for the internal lamphouse blowers as well as a feed to a rooftop exhaust out of the console? I think if such a thing was built into the console, that more theaters would benefit from proper cool-down cycles. Tremendous savings in bulb cost would be saved.

A manual projector motor bypass switch would be nice. Could fit in one of the optional breaker spots.

Could the lamphouse be designed in such a way so that it could mount directly to a standard pedestal (perhaps with an adaptor bracket)? That would make the system even more attractive for future resale value.

How about having a quick connect system between the lamphouse and rectifier units? The idea here being that, for example a 10 plex could purchase 10 consoles and 1 extra rollaround rectifier. Should the rectifier go down, the projectionist could remove the back panel, disconnect the quick connect to the lamphouse and wheel up the rollaround rectifier and keep the shows running. This would probably take two connections and may end up driving the cost up a bit, but who wouldn't want that kind of security of not losing a show without the unreliability of the switchers? Plus it would be wonderful for troubleshooting issues over the phone before driving out to the theater.

That's about all I can think of to add. The machine looks to be very well thought out. [thumbsup] When will the first ones be available?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-21-2003 05:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good. A couple of quick points:

- be careful with the dual-color LEDs; those of us with red/green colorblindness would probably prefer to have separate LEDs rather than a single one which changes color

- there should be some place or under the lamphouse to store the long-handled Allen wrench or whatever other tool is needed to align the lamp (maybe there already is one in the existing design)

- will there be a viewing porthole (like on the Strong Super Lume-X and on all arc lamps) so that one can view the bulb in operation? this isn't necessary, but is nice to have and probably doesn't increase the cost significantly.

- the dual hour meters sound like a great idea; hopefully there will also be a slot on the back of the lamphouse for the usual card to record hours and dates of lamp changes

- it would be nice if the douser handle(s) were operable from either side of the lamphouse for changeover installations

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An Ac recepticle on the non operating side of the machine front for the framing lamp so the cable doesn't have to snake around under the machine
A lot of excess noise supression for the ignitor circuit IREMS tend to be a bit noisy causing interference A good veiwport in the side or front to see the arc clearly
The dowser blade being of sufficient mass to allow the lamp to be left on with the dowser closed for extended periods as in a changeover preview house
What serries of lamps is it designed around the HS or the HTP
Also a plenum through the doors or a baffle to prevent the sides getting very hot

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - the supply has hinged doors that open to give you clear access to any servicable items in the supply - and they are all over-rated for very long service life.
We'll have to look into the regulatory issues around the delay relay concept.
Manual control panel can be added in the 19RU space if the automation doesn't have this provision (like CA21).
Lamphouse will mount directly to a standard pedestal with an optional adaptor plate.
Taking into consideration cost and connection reliablity we opted for the higher rated components and fewer connections - better if it never fails, right?
First units should be rolling out in February.

Scott - Green/Red, good point. We will make sure there is significant level differences between the two.
Pocket for manuals/tools/lamp card can be located on any of the three 'same-sized' access doors (lamphouse and operator side power supply access doors are all the same).
The reversible feature on the doors may make the arc camera-obscura feature difficult if not impossible... let us check.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-21-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the control circuit idea for a roof-top blower! Some lamphouse manufactuers use a thermal switch to turn off their internal blowers...that may be an idea. Personally, I just like the blowers to run when there is power applied.

Steve

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest that all breakers be connected to the main via a contactor controlled by a simple press button, much like the CFS/Rentec consoles. This would simplify power-up and down procedures, less wear and tear on breakers (which aren't really designed to be switches any ways). This would also allow for the delay that Brad mentioned (again like the CFS/Rentec consoles).

One thing that has suprised me, is that no one has put a rectifier on a sliding tray type platform, such that in the event that service is needed it could be slid partially out of the console. This would make some parts MUCH easier to get to.

Modular Plugs for common service items such as rectifiers and ignighters. This would make emergency replacment easiser and faster. Even non technicaly inclined operators could perform these tasks.

Deffinatly an Amp/Volt meter - always hated the Amp only meters.

A viewing window for the Arc - such as that Strong provides - this can make diagnosing a bulb easier, as well as easier to see bulb condition.

Squirrel cage type blowers for the rectifiers, those muffin fans just don't seem to hold up very well.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-21-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad about the internal work light and the 20 minute cool down feature.

I don't know how your rectifier will be laid out, but I hope the diodes are easy to access. Hopefully they'd never (or rarely) need to be changed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-21-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooooooooooh, YES!!!

quote:
One thing that has suprised me, is that no one has put a rectifier on a sliding tray type platform, such that in the event that service is needed it could be slid partially out of the console. This would make some parts MUCH easier to get to.

That would be WONDERFUL if you could do that one Bevan!

I agree on the amp/volt meter as well as using squirrel cage blowers if possible too. The central contactor "one button power on/off" idea makes things nice and idiot proof too. Those would be welcome improvements. [Smile]

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 09:11 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE: Arc viewing window

This window could be placed on the front bulkhead, avoiding problems with interchangable doors. The Cinemaccanica consoles have them in this location, viewing the arc is very easy.

On the note of rectifier blowers, I would tie them into the failsafes of the other vane switches, like the exhaust, so that if that blower ever stops, its not left that way, its not always obvous that a blower has gone out untill its too late.

Is the bulb/reflector assemply going to be on a sliding tray for 35/70mm operations?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-21-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bevan,
Looks really good so far.... But I would think about these.....

1. I like the one switch contactor idea for sure. Many other console manufacturers offer it too.

2. Forget the IREM ignitor and come up with something thats more reliable and a tad less expensive to maintain....Can't tell you how many IREM's I've replaced over the years....generally they are not repairable. I really don't want to see someone elses electrical equipment in a new design console....gains you absolutly nothing in the new idea area so far as the ignitor is concerned. I've had to replace very few Christie ignitors.....What ever you go with, make it completely REPAIRABLE in the field!!!! Don't pot anything in place!

3. Use 150 amp stud mount diodes instead of SCR's. With SCR's you'll get absolutely nothing. Use real heatsinks instead of a flat sheet of alumnium that does absolutely nothing. Go to a real heatsink manufacturer and have them calculate in real world terms what you'd need to be able to cool it reliably by convection only. I don't want to see a dust impaction fan [thumbsdown] under the heatsinks.

4. The rectifier on a rack slides or equivelent is one of the best ideas brought up here.

5. Use a very good calibratable DC ammeter, I prefer digital personally but a good analog would be ok.

6. Include a cheap scissors jack built into the tilt mechanism. Strong does this on the X-90, makes tilt adjustments by one person a snap!

7. Although the Align-O-Tron is available make available an inexpensive laser alignment rig specifically for your lamphouse/consoles.

8. Offer it as either a console or seperate Lamp/Rectifier.

9. Mirror size is irrelevant. Its gotta be as good or better than the present Chrisite mirror offering or your wasting your time and effort. [Eek!] .

Mark @ CLACO

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the comments that the dowser needs to be able to take the heat from being closed for extended periods. Some theatres and screening rooms may still run 20 minute reels with changeovers, and want to leave the lamps on. Likewise, screening rooms often leave the lamps on during the entire workday.

A motorized dowser that can be connected to automation or remote control would be a useful option.

Could a laser alignment source be precisely and permanently mounted BEHIND the reflector, pointing toward the lens and screen, for a really convenient check of alignment anytime the lamp is removed?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: