Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about slide projectors

Author Topic: Question about slide projectors
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the common method of fading or whatever used on slide projectors when the projector advances slides? Is the bulb being killed or is there an mechanical type shutter being used?
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, a mechanical "dark shutter" is used. Kodak Ektagraphic slide projectors also allowed the use of an external "dissolve control" to fade between two projectors electrically:

Kodak Ektagraphic Slide Projector Manual

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both systems are used; most simple projectors just use a shutter to cut off the light while the slode is changed. Projectors which can fade to black, or be used in pairs for disolving between slides normally dim the lamp. At least this is the case with halogen lamps. Xenon projectors have to be dimmed mechanically.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Sawyers 500 series in which I was trying to come up with a way to fade between slides instead the picture sliding back and forth. There is a cam operated advance unit that I was gonna control a relay that kills the bulb during changes. The only problem I see is the abuse of the bulb as which I was going to run bulb current through a resister during the off cycle to help protect the bulb.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-20-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam--just get a commercially manufactured dissolve unit. These things are dirt cheap on Ebay right now. Most are designed to sync with two projectors and a tape recorder. You can use it with one projector and a cheapo Radio Shack-type tape recorder to record a tape with only dissolve cues and then play it back during the show to automate the fade-out/change slide/fade-in process. It's easier to do than to describe.

Alternatively, there's a particular model of Telex projector that has a built-in timer which will fade out the slide, advance to the next slide, and fade in (by dimming the lamp) at regular intervals, usually ranging from about 3 seconds to about 15 seconds. I believe that there is a Kodak model that does this, too. This is simpler, but probably more expensive, since it requires buying a whole new slide projector. Both the Kodak and Telex models use the same type of slide tray.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far I have been outbid on every Kodak I have bid on as I do not wish to spend a whole lot for one. For something that is so out of fashion slide projectors sure seem to be popular on Ebay.

Personally, I like making things and I want to try modifying my Sawyer.

With that what do you think about killing the bulb during slide change and dimming the bulb to almost extinction?

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Telex Caramate, 3150? Halogen bulbs that dim on slide change... bulbs last for something like 250 hours.
approx. 90 days on or off for 3-4 hours between shows.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Telex projectors too. The bulb dims between slides. Our machines use the "EXY" type halogen lamp. We get nowhere the life that Travis is getting out of his. Maybe only 50 hours. It could be the extra vibration on the filament. We are on 50 Hz over here.

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bulbs are very touchy, we use surge protectors.
It increases the life dramatically. The slide proj bulbs, can't handle much variation in current when operating, small surges would almost certainly wreck a bulb.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: