Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film sound - history and technical details (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Film sound - history and technical details
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where besides the Cinema page on Dolby's website can I find any info on the history and technical details of the various sound formats? Dolby didn't have as much as I was hoping for on their site. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 10:59 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some links:

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/motionpicture1.html

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/motionpicture.html

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/motionpicture3.html

http://www.mtsu.edu/~smpte/table.html

http://www.amps.net/newsletters/issue21/21_cine.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~mawgrim/filmsound.htm

http://www.soundpractices.com/altec.html

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 11:01 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find a film sound history table at the SMPTE site.

http://www.mtsu.edu/~smpte/table.html

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the following books may be of use:

Scott Eyman, The Speed of Sound: Hollywood and the Talkie Revolution, 1926-30 - more social than technological history but still quite detailed, including lots of information on how sound-on-disc worked.

Raymond Fielding (ed.), A Technological History of Motion Pictures and Television - an edited collection of SMP[T]E Journal articles covering key areas of technoloy, finishing in the mid-'60s, including a detailed, three-part paper on the history of film sound.

Barry Salt, Film Style and Technology - useful historical overview of what technologies came into and went out of use when (not just sound).

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing some research to try to answer a question I've had for a while, and I can't seem to find an answer. From Dolby's The Evolution of Film Sound, speaking of Dolby Stereo:

quote:
In the space allotted to the conventional mono optical soundtrack are two soundtracks that not only carry left and right information as in home stereo sound, but are also encoded with a third center-screen channel and-most notably-a fourth surround channel for ambient sound and special effects.
What did this "conventional mono optical soundtrack" look like? Was it one track, or two that were identical? I know that today, you can have a mono print whose tracks are identical throughout the entire film. But what about back in the day? I don't see why there would have been the need to have two tracks prior to the invention of stereo. Yet, if there was only one track, would such a print be playable on today's readers? (Unfortunately, I've never handled an old print.)

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 12:07 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just handled a print of the Original Godzilla that had all it's original 1.33 screen format and had a mix of both dual mono sound tracks but on some of the old footage that was not updated for the reprint several years ago the sound track had a single mono optical sound track, so yes back before stereo they did have a single optical sound track.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The long out-of-print 1959 version of "Audio Cyclopedia" by Howard M. Tremaine (Howard W. Sams Publishing) has an excellent film sound section with photographs of a bunch of the different optical sound formats up to the year 1959.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Yet, if there was only one track, would such a print be playable on today's readers?
Yes, it is compatible. It has been a while since I've seen a single-strand variable area mono print like that, but as recently as ten years ago I recall a new Italian feature, whose title I'd have to look up, with that sort of mono track. Maybe in some backwater they still use it.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 12:52 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were any number of essentially compatible mono soundtrack formats prior to Dolby or other optical stereo.

One reason for the dual bilateral soundtrack prior to optical stereo was the principle that the more edges the soundtrack contains the less total distortion from printing imperfections,dirt and scratches, as the imperfections on one edge of soundtrack tend to get cancelled by the other edge(s).

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 01:29 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a look at the thread 'What are the sound formats on 16mm film' in the film handlers' forum. At the bottom of page 2, and the top of page 3 are some examples of most of the main types of optical soundtracks that I posted a year or two ago. 16mm tracks are basically the same as 35mm ones, except that the film runs slower, so any of these tracks could be used on 35mm as well, and I have seen 35mm examples of almost all of them. The main ones not shown are the 'density squeeze track, and the various types of push-pull tracks, which I don't think were ever used on 16mm. They were only used to a very limited extent on 35mm, at least for release prints.

May I recommend one of the the BKSTS wallcharts, it's called 'Film Gauges and Sound Formats', or something very similar. They are available in the U.S., but are expensive, but you could probably find an example somewhere that you could have a look at.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 03:56 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"conventional mono optical soundtrack" is a poor term to reference something which had so many permutations.
There are some pictures for comparison at
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/sound/soundsamples.htm

It's easier to look at it developmentally starting from the unilateral variable area: it basically works by modulating how much light gets through, so you get that altering opaque area that looks like a wave. The subsequent bilateral & dual bilateral were improvements - basically, errors in the application of the track would be minimized in playback if that wave were printed on there several times. If you had a splotch on the wave, there would likely not be a splotch on the second copy which was its mirror or twin.

Not mentioned on that page are push-pull tracks, which apparently never went into use in exhibition.

It's interesting now to think that variable density tracks are actually sampled.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 07:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BKSTS Wallcharts:

http://www.bksts.com/wall_chart.html

quote:
Titles in this Series

Film Gauges and Soundtracks
Widescreen and 3-D Film Formats
Motion Picture Colour Processes
Motion Picture Systems for Special Venues and Theme Parks
Video Tape and Recording Formats
Current Film Formats
SFX Chart 1 Photographic & Digital compositing
SFX Chart 2 Animation & Computer Imaging
SFX Chart 3 Special Effects (NEW)
Video Recording Techniques
How to order

http://www.bksts.com/wall_ch_pgs/fg.html

quote:
Illustration of film gauge and soundtrack chart

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of articles on this subject have appeared in Widescreen Review magazine.

A couple of books, both written by Tomlinson Holman, may also be of interest:

Sound For Film And Television and 5.1 Surround Sound: Up And Running. Both contain historical information that may be useful to you, though the focus is on theory and practice.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 10:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find it (doubtful) Larry Blake's Film Sound Today: An Anthology of Articles from Recording Engineer/Producer (1984) is a good history of Dolby Stereo optical and 70mm (before SR and digital except for that Fantasia experiment).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Alexander, The Inventor of Stereo, is a biography of the engineer Alan Blumlein, who many believe to have been the first to have sucessfully demonstrated a stereo variable area system, in July 1935. The book contains a full account of his work (no to mention all his other audio engineering experiments, notably in microphone design).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: