Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton E Series (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Kinoton E Series
Tim Killen
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Tim Killen   Email Tim Killen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just Wondering if anybody out there has had any experience with the E series projectors from Kinoton. Was wondering what issues you may have had, and suggestions as to what spare parts would be handy to have on hand that differ from the D Series Projector.

TK

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-19-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We installed 4 last year. No problems with regular use. Assuming the gate parts are the same as the D type, no pecial parts needed. The E drive stuff is all expensive and probably not worth keeping on hand - the motor or circuit boards may fail but a full set would be a huge investment.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 04:20 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are installing the FP25E tomorrow. First one for us. I am looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

There is a recommended spare parts list but it is at my office. Also some contacts for some great folks with good answers to everything Kinoton. I'll post again later.

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 09:41 AM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I agree with Dave about stocking a lot of stuff for the E drive. Those parts aren't cheap, and they rarely fail. Sort of like: would you stock a Geneva movement?

I'd certianly stock things like framing lamps and gate parts (skate and runner strips; they are not the same as a D - because of the different intermittent sprocket). Other stuff like sprockets, apertures, belts, etc...it depends on your situation. For example Bill might want to stock more than some folks because he is on a government installation in a foreign country.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-27-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally make sure there is a complete set of wearable parts as spares. As mentioned...Skates and runner strips (the runner strips are included in the accessory kit), belts, O-rings (for the sound pinch roller and accellerator if you have it).

Steve

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 02:47 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good heads up Larry. We are are at the end of the food chain out here but so far are getting pretty good support out of Tokyo.

In about an hour we will be showing our first movie to the public. So far this machine is a sweetheart. It is so amazing how well it thinks for you. More later.

Bill Bunch
Misawa, Japan

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 02:09 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tip for the E series: you can frame down forever since there is no physical limitation. Make sure you don`t make the lower loop too big, because if you frame the film down in the event of a bad splice or another emergency the loop could get so big that it hits the shutter house.
You probably already found out that the button which advances the film slowly frame by frame will make the machine forward the film at full speed without igniting the lamp if you hold it down. Since it is placed a little unhappily on the front of the projector, I would recommend you to place a little sticker with a felt surface on it so that you can always find it blindly.
Do you have an automatic lens turret? These can be touchy and go out of alignment. There is a little board with which you can quickly realign it. Ask your dealer for the board. They should give it to you for free since you bought a complete new machine.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Michael !

I'm not sure which button you speak of for 'frame-by-frame' function but will look for it. We have several unlabled buttons on the console.

You are correct about the auto turret. My installers played with that for a long while. Sometimes when we change lenses manually it will fumble and stop in between. But I have noticed that it never fails to land perfectly when activated by the automation. So far anyway.

I sat through the movie "Grind" last night. Not my kind of movie for sure but one thing I did notice was the extreme detail in the film with good contrast and color saturation from corner to corner. I praise the Kinoton lamphouse on this machine. It is highly efficient at what it does. It gets all the light through the film and out to the screen. So easy to focus!

Any other querks about this machine that you know of, please pass them along. We are extremely happy with its performance.

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-31-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean the button which transports the film slowly frame by frame so that you can check your framing in the aperture. If you hold it down, it will speed the projector up to regular speed. This function can be customized, you can program the machine for how quickly you want to accelerate to full speed.
The button should be labeled POS (as in position).

Mark Hathaway
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Mark Hathaway   Email Mark Hathaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,

the turret issue is easily fixed, it probably only needs programming.

If you are an authorized Kinoton dealer, ask the factory for a turret programming card and the software to properly program the turret card. The latest programming card has a rs-232 interface to connect to a notebook with kinoton's software. The problem *might* also be the aperture/turret control card over the top of the aperture changer in the back of the projector.

As far as quality goes, the FP30E is my favorite, an amazingly steady image.

Mark Hathaway

Atlab Image and Sound Technology

Melbourne, Australia

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the POS button, Michael and now I see what you mean. I can hold it down and it will run up to speed.

Can you explain the proper use of the plastic knurled knob on the constant speed sprocket below the gate?

We are still learning stuff.

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-01-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is for forwarding the projector manually. But that is a bit tedious. You can actually take it off. Using the step-by-step function is much better. Remember to put a little sticker or a felt pad on it so you can find it without looking. Are your controls on the front of the projector or is there a little control panel attached to the projector, facing the operator? I mean the controls on the projector, not the tableau on the wall.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 05:34 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the control buttons are in the square box and the box is fastened to the side facing the operator. It's right under the sound head. This box is connected by a flexible cable so it could be placed in other areas too.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 04:58 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here is something I found interesting today while studying the FP25E. When the machine is first started the intermittent sprocket runs as a constant speed sprocket until full speed is achieved. Then it snaps into the "intermittent" mode.

I wonder what is the reason for this and what advantages are achieved. Not complaining. Just wondering. Actually this machine is a real dreamship and one would have to look hard to find something to complain about. I love it.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie Epic does that too, it's SO quiet until the intermittent goes into show mode!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: