Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lobby previews (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lobby previews
Alan Gilbertson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Alan Gilbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gilbertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one of our sites we have lobby preview using a video projector and DVD. Due to lighting issues we are thinking about using 35mm trailers and a endless loop platter. Since the projector will be behind the screen what is need to make the picture facing the right way and not backwards? Is is this not even possible

|  IP: Logged

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm rear projection is done by positioning the projector 90 degrees to the screen and bouncing the image off a front surface mirror in front of the lens.

In my opinion this is the perfect place for video projection in a theater. A current model of video projector should give you more than enough light. You will have the same lighting issues with film as with video.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-19-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at Southsound, I just simply roped off an area and set up a vintage projector (a Brenkert BX-100, RCA 1050 soundhead and a Peerless Magnarc fitted with an incandescent automotive driving light bulb powered by a 12-volt battery charger.) I ran 6,000 foot reels. It was quite popular....the patrons just loved seeing it run.

Pete is correct. It can be done with mirrors. However, you might have some keystone problems. How severe...I don't know. I would presume the closer you have the mirror to the lens, the less keystone problems you will have.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the ELF platters work with a short show? I was under the impression they had a minimum loop time of 90 minutes, or something along those lines.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-19-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you need a show about 90 minutes long.

Not the cheapest way, but you could mount a digital penthouse on the projector backwards and run the film with sound track on the inboard side. Sure you'd be off on the optical centre and the emulsion would be on the wrong side, but it'd probably look alright.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 10:15 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 20min versions of the ELF, but video is definitely the way to go here.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you just set up a projector behind the candy counter. Then the same kid that starts the shows can run the previews [Big Grin]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what a great idea, especially for an arthouse....getting all the vintage stuff out there where the audience can ohh and ahh over it. Set it up like a working historical exhibit with a printed description explaining each of the pieces of equipment and the date of their manufacture. Of course the problem would be how to run it as a continuous loop....possibly have the film looped and dumped into a lab bag?

Frank

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are video versions (tape or DVD) of trailers available on a timely basis, just as with 35mm trailers? Do they have the same distribution channels?

How about trailers for theatres showing a feature using Digital Cinema? Can you get copies of needed trailers in the file format used by your server? Is there a list of trailers that are available in digital form?

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or install a plasma screen to play your DVDs on

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-20-2003 09:06 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video would make more sense and a plasma or LCD flat panel would be the most elegant way to go.

But I have to say that the idea of exhibiting some old equipment in operation with samples of today's films (in this case, trailers) would really make a powerful point as to the enduring quality of the film format.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for plasma displays, you had better have a really reliable security service policing your building 24/7 because those things just scream "STEAL ME!" We toyed with the idea (they certainly do have a super-cool high-tech quality) as we are undergoing a full renovation of our Grand Lobby, but then nixed it only because we have Micky Mouse Rent-a-Cops and the things would be gone in a week. If the thieves are going to steal something, let them steal a $400 35" TV set instead of a $8000 plasma screen!

Since John brought up the question of the availability of promo material on video formats (usually the publicity dept of the majors have all the ad gack available for the taking once you book the feature), let me ask the same question about DLP -- Suppose I installed the beast. How do I go about getting product? My assumption is, and this is what I am curious about, are all films made available in digital form? From seeing what is shown in the D-Cinema theatres here in NYC, it would seem that only a few titles are released in digital. Wouldn't that be a bigger obstacle, more so even than the insane price and the questionable quality of the picture? Or would I just have to accept the fact that nine out of every ten releases will not be available to me? How does that work? And how are they distributing the digital data...is it still some guy coming in

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-20-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tribute Entertainment distributes 'compilations' of their Tribute TV television show that features trailers and 'movie info'.

They also distribute rolling stock via Big Screen Entertainment. Currently they are partenered with Cinemark Theatres, Empire Theatres, Cinémas Guzzo, Galaxy Cinemas, Rainbow Cinemas, and Le Cinémas Ciné Enterprise.

Oh yeah, can't forget their movie magazines... eveybody like movie magazines.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 08:02 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Angel asked:

quote:
let me ask the same question about DLP -- Suppose I installed the beast. How do I go about getting product? My assumption is, and this is what I am curious about, are all films made available in digital form? From seeing what is shown in the D-Cinema theatres here in NYC, it would seem that only a few titles are released in digital. Wouldn't that be a bigger obstacle, more so even than the insane price and the questionable quality of the picture? Or would I just have to accept the fact that nine out of every ten releases will not be available to me? How does that work?
According to http://www.dcinematoday.com , a worldwide total of less than 100 features have been available for digital presentation since the first four theatres played "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" in May 1999. Many of these features were overseas releases, primarily in Brazil, China, UK, and Japan. Almost two dozen more are already listed for release in the next two years, making a worldwide total of 117 releases from May 1999 to December 2005, as of today (October 21, 2003):

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dcdb/content.aspx

("Digital Titles" search, select content "All Dates")

For comparison, according to MPAA figures, about 500 feature films are released each year:

http://www.mpaa.org/useconomicreview/2002/2002_Economic_Review.pdf (see chart on page 13)

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 04:29 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and remember, the mpaa figure only represents films submitted to them. many, many overseas films, and some u.s. films, aren't included in that number (and it's only fair to include these since we're including overseas d-cinema releases in the comparison). of course i don't have a number and i don't know if anyone does.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: