Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ivie IE-33 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Ivie IE-33
Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone using this analyzer yet? Seems pretty serious and the potential for upgrades via software is enormous.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-18-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have ordered one but they messed up the order so I won`t have it until next week. However, I have promised [Brad Miller] to write an exclusive review, so it will be a while until I find the time to do that and I am not allowed to disclose any information before that [beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it has got some possibilities. I've always liked my PC-40 and its given me great service for the most part of about 10 years. It does need to be dismantled and things tightened up inside a couple of times a year though.

I going to wait till the new THX analyzer emerges, if it actually does, and also to hear back on reliability of the Ivie...and its software quirks if any. There are also other high end analyzers to explore as well.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-19-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldline now has a palm software anaylzer

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Goldline product, from what the website shows is not even comparable to the Ivie product - it includes no hardware and is limited to whatever cheapo generic converters are in the PDA. I certainly wouldn't trust them. At least the Ivie comes with high quality 20 bit ADCs and instrumentation grade preamps for the line inputs. One of the best features of the Ivie is that you can store calibration info for several different microphones, and I can keep my good 'ol IE-2p. I had a Goldline RTA and hated it. It just felt like a cheap piece of crap to me.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-19-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote" I had a Goldline RTA and hated it. It just felt like a cheap piece of crap to me."
We have several of the Goldline DSP30's and have had no complaints other than the need toreset the AD register on a chgans sometimes
They are extremely accurate DSP filters and have reasonable balasitics

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2003 04:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
Filters more accurate than what ISO specifies are fine but not necessary for our type of work. However, IVIE products and many others have always typically exceeded the ISO specs for the band pass filters. Thats not a miracle by any means, even the old late 60's Altec/HP Acousta Voicette Analyzer exceeded them.

Aside from IVIE analyzers being really well made, the feature that sets IVIE analyzers apart from others is the really fine implementation of the microphones they sell. They cost as much as many of the entire analyzers that others on this forum are using [Eek!] !!

Unfortunately IVIE has as of yet to design and market a mic multiplexer. According to an engineer that I met there, it was something they were intending to do years ago till the advent of the R-2. I'm also afraid that their system would have been out of reach price wise of just about everyone here. Lets see....4 mics at 1200.00 each plus a multiplexer plus an analyzer......$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!
Mark @ CLACO

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-19-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it comes from Utah!

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
feature that sets IVIE analyzers apart from others is the really fine implementation of the microphones they sell
Yep. That's exactly it. The IE-2 is a phenominal preamp, regardless of what capsule you use with it. You get what you pay for. Glad you had good luck with Goldline products, Gordon. Our Goldlines sit in our cabinet unused. You want 'em?
Yeah, Mark I get your point about the lack of multiplexer, but with the new Ivie's calibration features (read about 'em), you should be able to use anyone's mux unit with them. I don't trust any multiplexer or preamp to the extent that I trust my IE-2 w/B&K, and hence I never use just the mux for an alignment. Call me superstitious.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-19-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have 4 of the dsp30's and the R2 so I don't thinkl I need any more RTA's right now
The dsp30 with a uslmux has usally mathed the R2 within 2 db every time I have used the two of them in the same room
On the MUX issue if you don't use a MUX then you are not doing your customer a service. You canot Eq a room without one end of argument The audience sits in the far field of the speaker array not in the near field and we don't want a "sweet spot" in one location

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 02:46 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

Out of curiosity... what Brüel & Kjær microphone capsule do you use, and why in place of the Ivie? Have you had the RTA recalibrated to the different mic?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-20-2003 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
I may be wrong, but so far as I know IVIE is using B&K capsules on their mics. At 1200.00 for an IVIE mic thats a pretty good clue. I can certainly call them and find out today. They are not a large enough company to actually be making their own capsules, in fact they are but a shadow of what they once were according to other techs around this area.

Michael,
I go near the IVIE plant at least two or three times a week, perhaps I can stop there and test Michaels new unit before it hits the road [Big Grin]

Matt,
I can't complain about the preamps in the R-2. They're quiet, stable, and very reliabe. Certainly far better than the Countryman mics being used.

Mark @ CLACO

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 09:01 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the looks of it, it can work as an analyzer fine for cinema equalisation but it says that it has SINGLE osciloscope trace (although from the pics there are two channel inputs). If anyone has any more information please share them!!
Demetris.

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Ivie is not supplying B&K as standard equipment - the capsules they are currently using are made in america - can't remember the name of the company... The IE-2 I inherited has a B&K 4942 capsule in it. I don't doubt the quality of the preamps in the R-2, Mark. I wish I could get my hands on one myself, but alas... I am forced to rely on the USL mux for most of my work in the field. I always double-check everything against the IE-2 and usually find no more than 2db of discrepency between the single mic properly placed and the output of my mux. The point I wanted to make was that the new Ivie supplies high-grade conversion and line-level ins whereas the Goldline does not. Ivie says they will upgrade the software to allow a dual trace oscilloscope function, but I don't think that it will compare to a hardware-based unit in any respect. Just think DFP-3000 setup software scope display....forget it!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-20-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - Too late, it`s already on the road. UPS says it is in Las Vegas today, I hope it doesn`t get stuck there gambling. But thanks for the offer!

Matt - since Gordon doesn`t need it, I will take one of the Goldlines. I think the IE-33 will cover most or all of my needs, but having another analyzer as backup is never wrong. I will mail your our address. Thanks a lot in advance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: