Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Distinguishing Dolby A Prints from SR (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Distinguishing Dolby A Prints from SR
Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 08:17 AM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do Dolby SR prints always say SR on the leader? I believe SR was introduced in 1986. Is there a good way to tell if films from that period are SR or A encoded? IMDB seems to say "Dolby" for Sound Mix in their technical specs. This doesn't help.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-18-2003 08:40 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was 1987 with Robocop. You cannot tell by inspecting them visually. But if you play the print and switch back and forth between A and SR it becomes quite obvious to the ear which is the right NR type to play it.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Matt,

I think if you look in the area of the edge of the leader (where SDDS now lives) its printed there.

Something like 'DOLBY A/SR' or just 'DOLBY A'

Why are you asking anyway?
Does a Dolby A sound worse when run with SR turned on?

And yes the IMDB sucks when it comes to the technical tab.

Bill.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-18-2003 09:23 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby A and mono prints sound terrible when played in SR. SR plays OK in A, however. Mono prints (which can be identified visually) should be played in mono, but don't sound too horrible in Dolby A. I don't think I've ever seen an SR track on anything made prior to the early '90s. Almost all prints with SRD tracks have SR optical tracks (with exceptions for a couple of early Disney titles which had Dolby A optical tracks).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2003 10:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Robocop" was indeed the first 35mm optical Dolby SR release.

"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" was the first movie to use the process, in a very limited form with release prints. That film preceded "Robocop" by about six months (released in the holiday season of 1986). Two 70mm Dolby SR mag prints were made and booked in two theaters in Los Angeles (the ads had "Dolby Spectral Sound" under that big 70mm logo).

I've put together a pretty nice collection of vector-based computer graphics logos of all that stuff, but have never been able to find any source material good enough to recreate the original Dolby SR logo.

[joe] gave me a pretty cool Dolby SR bumper sticker though.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rule's always been don't run it in SR unless it specifically says SR on the leaders (if you don't already know, 99% of the time the sound info will be printed on the leader in the optical soundtrack area.) Prints that just say "Stereo" or don't have any info at all get run in Dolby A. Playing anything in SR decoding that wasn't meant to sounds awful- it usually sounds low and muffled.
Same can be said for cassette tapes (does anyone use those anymore?)- I never turn the NR on unless it's labeled on the tape as having NR.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got tricked the other day when I ran "The 5th Element" ('97). It supposed to be in SRD with SR analog and SDDS. When I ran it I was getting straight "F"s and I thought my reader was goofed up. It was fine in SR. I tried looking at the film as it ran with a flash light to reassure myself that it was in SRD and it looked like it had the appropriate fields as there was the slightly gray boxes between the perfs. I was bummed. On rewind I stopped it for a moment and looked closely and sure enough the boxes were there but they were blank. I guess some prints were digital and some weren't. Those pranksters!
Why would they double inventory like that?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a Sony release (Columbia/Tri-Star) if I remember correctly. They were on an SDDS exclusive kick for years. Somewhere in the archives there was an explanation about why the film would have SRD-looking marks like that, sort of like how some films today have SDDS-looking stripes down the edges, but I can't remember why. Regardless, there was a time where double inventory was required due to the labs not being able to print the digital tracks in enough quantity.

I don't think that movie was released in SRD anywhere though.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5th Element was a Sony release. Did it have DTS as well?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 01:12 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish.
Nope

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony had DTS on their big releases that year ( Air Force One, Starship Troopers ) I'm surprised that 5th Element didn't have DTS on it.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
European prints of "The Fifth Element" were Dolby Digital.

Sony's USA release prints were SDDS. No Dolby Digital.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one didn't have SDDS either [Eek!]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-18-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill wrote:

quote:
I think if you look in the area of the edge of the leader (where SDDS now lives) its printed there.
I have never seen the sound format info printed in the SDDS area but I *have* seen it printed in the analog area on the leaders.

Usually it says "Stereo A" or "Stereo SR" if it's a Dolby NR track. I have personally never seen a "DTS Stereo" track but I believe somebody in an older thread addressed this and said to use A-Type NR for those.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-18-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can see these (dts Stereo) regularly on Asian releases.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: