Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Exhibition continues to deteriorate

Author Topic: Exhibition continues to deteriorate
Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 08:20 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Back on Film-Tech tonite for the first time in many moons, other than just lurking occasionally, the thread on CAP or CRAP code spoiling the prints just adds to my general depression about the sad state of exhibition today. As another pointed out, running films out of focus, scratched up and with other problems has become the priority of exhibitors.

Was able to confirm this for myself a while back when I took my life in my hands and went to a local cinema for the first time in 8+ years to see "Catch Me If You Can," because the book was so good. The film ran out of focus, the screen image was very dim, sound was coming out of only the left channel... a partial list, need I say more?

Can also report that I no longer know anybody locally who ever goes out to the movies at all, dropping out one by one after inquiring of me why there are all these things that seem to be wrong. We have all switched over to DVD. If one wants recent product, local pawnshops are a good source and used DVDs run about $8 each or 3 for $20. Nearly all are in excellent condition, having been viewed only once or twice [who in their right mind would want to see any of these things again?] and the pawnshops will take 'em back paying $4 each.

This is not too helpful to myself, a person who lives in the distant past of film history.

GOOD NEWS: Yankee Doodle Dandy [1942] is out on DVD, looks absolutely superb, and the horrible flutter in the sound is at last gone. Possibly Bob Harris, if he is reading this, might be able to fill us in on how the trouble finally got fixed, I do know that the Warners nitrate studio print on 1000' reels had perfect sound and last I heard it was in the archive at UCLA so maybe they went there. The film rec'd an Academy award for Best Sound, and is a superb example of RCA optical sound recording at its best.

Thus ends our small rant. Be kind to Old Fogies.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
I've run several different copies of that including one that used to be in my collection eons ago and there was not any hint of flutter.
Mark

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I have a large customer base at my downtown Las Vegas 14 plex that would have to disagree with you. I luckily have a professional booth staff that knows the true meaning of Showmanship. We still do it the 'old school' way and we have built quite a following that way.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-17-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm lucky that the Regal and Cinemark theatres here are *usually* pretty good in the presentation dept. and they do seem to maintain things pretty well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe is the victim of a disease common in all of the larger cities in Montana: "Carmikeitis." I've never been in a Montana Carmike in which there wasn't something to detract from the experience. (If Joe went to the Cine 7 on Broadwater Ave., God help him...that's a dollar house that is way overpriced.)

My wife and I were in Salt Lake City area last weekend and we went to movies at two places: the Stadium 8 at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, and the Megaplex 12 at the Gateway, a new shopping development in downtown SLC. Both had excellent presentation and courteous staff, and the Thanksgiving Point theatre has one of the coolest looking marquees I've ever seen. I forgot my #%$ camera in our hotel room or I would post a pic of it. Maybe Mark G. can post one.

We also toured around the Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons. It's set up like a mall, except instead of stores, there are theatres and food courts. Very nice. We were fully entertained for two hours just walking around looking. So exhibition and showmanship isn't dead everywhere.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 01:56 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So exhibition and showmanship isn't dead everywhere.
Maybe not, but if it were an animal, it'd be on the Endangered Species list.

Rather than achieving its status through over-hunting or habitat-loss, this animal is dying out from that other major flaw: too little genetic variety. One large chain can destroy the gene pool for an entire metropolitan area.

The funny/sad thing is that most people are so accustomed to seeing the genetically inferior version, that they've forgotten (or have never known) what the species is supposed to look like.

Fortunately, all it would take is one pioneering newcomer to shake things up. Introduce competition into the mix again, and I think it's possible for the outlook to become much more positive.

Not that I think it will happen in my lifetime...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Jentsch wrote:

quote:
Introduce competition into the mix again, and I think it's possible for the outlook to become much more positive.

I agree. IMHO, Rochester NY tends to have better overall presentation quality than similar sized cities because there are multiple theatre circuits (Regal, Loews, Cinemark, former Hoyts) operating here, along with a mix of some quality-minded independents. When there is real competition, presentation quality can be a major selling point, and "Film Done Wrong" or poor service can quickly put you out of business.

If you are "the only show in town", a "take it or leave it" attitude may work in the short term, but your customers may decide to "wait for the video" rather than endure another disappointing presentation at your theatre. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: