Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex soundhead wow

Author Topic: Simplex soundhead wow
Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a new one on me. A Simplex XL SH 1020 soundhead had a horrible wow. My first thought was the scanner shaft bearings. As I removed the rotary stabilizer flywheel to change the bearings, I could feel a rattle inside. I didn't have another flywheel with me so I proceeded to change the bearings and of course the wow was as bad as ever. The next day I changed the flywheel and everything was fine.
Has anyone else had this happen?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-17-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interior of the SH 1000 / 1020 flywheel is another smaller flywheel in a heavy lubricant with a exposed ball bearing raceway, this for a dampening effect....dryed out lubricant and loose bearing will give you plenty of wow.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-17-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Richard.

Chances are, all the oil leaked out over the years. It is probably quite gross inside. But they can be dismantled and serviced.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I'm wondering how you would dismantle the stabilizer? Seems like you would need a can opener to get it apart making it virtually impossible to get it back together after repairs.

Jeff

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-17-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, RCA - yes. You would need a huge can opener.

On the SH-1000, there is a zillion screws on the flange. Inside there is a huge bearing. and a rotor. Josh took one apart from a SH-1000 I gave him, and he sent me some pictures of it.

Here is a picture Josh sent me on the stabilizer:

-

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-18-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes a bit of dirt would get in there between the two flywheels and create the wierdest form of flutter
One of my freind who worked for western reffered to it as whiskers and in some of the old altec notes was references to that

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: