Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 2500w in a 2000w lamphouse

Author Topic: 2500w in a 2000w lamphouse
Adam Budweg
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 09:43 AM      Profile for Adam Budweg   Email Adam Budweg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing inventory on our used bulbs and 1 of teh 3 bulbs we have was a 2500w bulb, and none of our units run taht high of wattage, there all 2000w. I have a feelin taht the home office is going to tell em to just use it, but for some reason i think its a bad idea. i just dont know what teh negative effects would be. could someone fill me in

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-14-2003 09:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you turn the rectifier down to keep it with in the current range of the lamphouse it will work as the 2500HS and a 2000HS are the same size
Also 85amps the max for a 2K lamp is the lower to middle range of a 2.5K
It is possible that the rectifier may not be able to strike the lamp though
What make of lamphouse/rectififer do you have that information should have been posted to make a definitive awnser possible

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-14-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of lamphouses are you using? What is the maximum wattage that the lamphouse and rectifier rated? some lamphouses require you to change the mounting hardware to mach the size of the bulbs.

Dennis J. Losco
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Dennis J. Losco   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis J. Losco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can not speak for other manufacturers, but in Superior's case our 2000HS or SX20003 and the 2500HS or SX25001 are nearly identical. Physically the lamps are exactly the same. Ignition wouldn't be a factor with our lamps, and probably won't for other manufacturers either.

In short, you can run a 2.5 kw at 2kw as long as the mean voltages of the two lamps are close. The voltage specification for a 2kwHS is 27v and the 2.5kwHS is 25v. So as long as you are running the HS style lamps you won't have a problem.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-14-2003 12:42 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I encountered something similar at a theatre that was using 2000W lamps in a 1600W lamphouse. These were vertical ORC houses.

The lamps themselves were actually running at around 1600W. Those lamps had been operating like that for over a year with no problems. I only *happened* to notice it when the time came to do changes on all of them.

One of those thing you remember.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-14-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2000H/V and the 1600W are the same dimensions so they fit the ORC with no problems.

Adam Budweg
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Adam Budweg   Email Adam Budweg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for teh help. i know teh lamphouses are cinimacanica horziontally mounted. the fitting is correct both HS. i do not know a model number but i will get one thurs and post it.

Thanks again

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-15-2003 11:26 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica with an Irem rectifier should work fine. Just set the current to what you'd use for a 2K lamp and the light should be identical or better than the 2K.
You could probably run it at 2500W and have no problems, but the extra heat might cause trouble so I'd suggest just going for the same current.
There should be no ignition problem with such a small change in lamp size.
I've run into a lot of trouble with Strong DC impulse ignitors when trying to use a smaller lamp with a passive rectifier (ie use a 4kW lamp in a 7kW console) because the open circuit voltage gets too low but a Cinemeccanica lamphouse with an AC Tesla ignitor combined with the boost circuit on Irem rectifiers adapts to lowering the power OK.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: