Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar Sound amp

Author Topic: Kelmar Sound amp
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the chance to pick up a Kelmar audio amp Model AA-8000 and a AA-7000 for 15 dollars each. Also a digital interface cable kit for 5 dollars. I am not familar with these models and I am thinking that they might be usable for the sound at the battleship north carolina. I do not know what kind of hook up they have on the back of them. Can any one shed any light on this. We are using Devrys for the projectors. Since it is in the galley of the ship it is all surrounded by metal and mono is all we plan on having. Thanks for the help [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly those are "all-in-one" mono sound systems consisting of optical preamp (solar cell input), power amp, monitor amp, and exciter lamp supply in a nice small cabinet. If the DeVrys have been converted to a solar cell instead of a phototube then these will be just fine. I think the output wattage of the amplifier is 50 watts.

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AA-7000 is 50 watts, the 8000 is (I beleive) 80 watts. They are both plug-in types that are intended to be used in conjunction with an AS 7200 frame. If they are functional, it is a good deal, but you still ned the frame and exciter supply... need one?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently installed a couple of them at a local discount house. You need the frame because the optical preamp and film/music fader is on a pc card IN the frame. The modules you have now are just power amplifiers. In a normal frame, one is for the stage speaker, while the other just coasts along, feeding a little monitor speaker in the frame. They can be swapped in a couple of seconds, should one module fail.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt I guess I would like to see them and see how much they will cost. Let me know

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think of it, Matt!

Something you once owned could become a part of the USS North Carolina!

Those DeVry's are nice!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was never a great fan of those amps always felt they had a hard time delivering there rated output
better luck was had with the Raven/Edlo Ace100's

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are going to be used in the below decks area of a all metal ship I do not need all of that much power the room is only going to be able to seat about 100 at the most with 2-15 inch speaker mounted on either side of the screen in the old bull horn type enclosures. If anyone is interested I am in the process of planning a volunteer weekend in Nov to get the Projectors up and running. While there is not a lot of room for people in the booth anyone that can come in to help for the day would be great. I can promise a tour of the battleship and a free lunch and lots of good times. I am hoping to show a movie when we finish but the extent of my print I have is Santa and the martains but if that is all I have to run that is what I will run. [beer]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-12-2003 08:08 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those were good amps in their day. Very reliable.

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a number of small mom and pop theatres that use the AS-7200 system in Northern New England. They are perfectly reliable. I have replaced a few failed Ravens with used Kelmars over the years...I'd be happy to send you one Mike...send me an email. We also rebuild the amp and exciter modules.

mzeiner@netheatre.com

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] At the risk of being Flamed, I am compelled to speak up. If anyone REALLY wants a GOOD power amplifier, seek out a used McIntosh.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: