Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kill Bill Sound issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kill Bill Sound issue
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else experience a DTS related sound issue with the B disc of Kill Bill? I noticed while screening that everything seemed fine until the plane trip to Japan, then it sounded as if the surrounds and stage speaker coils were blown. A raspy sound from the DTS track, but the SR track seemed fine.

My print number is 3980 and I'll order a replacement disc tomorrow, after swapping out the B disc from my second print.

What would cause this anyway? I'm guessing improper recording procedure, for lack of the proper technical term...

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming that you are sure that you didn't actually blow a coil?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-09-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I thought he was going to say that "everyone suddenly started speaking Japanese." [Big Grin]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

No, I didn't blow 3 horns, and 16 coils in the surrounds.
It was clearly in the B disc.

They are screening the second print as I type.

Intolerable Cruelty sounded fine in the same house.

I am still left to wonder what the problem with the disc is? [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2003 06:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Screened this in SRD. Some parts of the movie had some distortion added to it for effect, but nothing like Jason is describing. Sounds like an issue with dts.

Jason, you didn't mention the equipment in your rack.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 09:09 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP 65, DTS 6-D, QSC 850's.

The disc issue is moot right now, as this print will play in a non DTS house in SRD. No report of problems with the second print, so it has to be a disc related issue...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 09:35 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems with our discs sounded good to me.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened it in DTS and noticed soemthing like that. It sounded like cheap headphones do when you put too much power throught them.

I just thought it was my ears.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the 3 'bleeping' noises - anyone hear that?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 11:14 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is another topic about the bleeps. It's jsut to hide her name.

Im sure it says her name in the script if anyone has read it, or if anyone is a good lip reader.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

I heard that also. I had to run a print in a second DTS house in SR as the same problem occured.. I think that they must have had a bad run of discs or soemthing... Only occured in the latter half of the film, which would be the B disc....

KAREN... are you listening????? [Frown]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scratch that last idea:

Kill Bill Script

THE BRIDE

Hello sweety, I'm *(BLEEP)*, what's

your name?

* Whenever during the picture somebody says The Bride's real

name, it will be BLEEPED OUT ON THE SOUNDTRACK, ...that is,

till I want you to know. *

The shy, suspicious little girl doesn't say anything, she

just stares at the blond lady.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was not impressed with the sound quality of the dialogue whether it was intentional or not. Things sounded kinda muffled but the background music sounded OK. This was in DTS. It must be in the mix but I can't understand why someone would want to distort the sound like that.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-11-2003 01:31 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Greg said:
I can't understand why someone would want to distort the sound like that.

Because he's Tarentino (sp?) and he thinks it's artistic

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 08:18 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent had sound issues but I am having focus issues with the print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: