Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intolerable Cruelty platter assembly (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Intolerable Cruelty platter assembly
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-09-2003 04:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I wouldn't post this here in the FHF, but before a ton of people build their prints of Intolerable Cruelty, please check this link.

I checked a print that I assembled in this manner tonight and if you follow my instructions in that link above it will provide a perfectly smooth transition between reels. The splice happens during a line of dialogue. If your theater is playing this movie, please print those instructions and give to the projectionist so the film may be cut properly.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-09-2003 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad.

Any word on whether all the prints are like that, or if it's just a certain batch or what?

Mark

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-09-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should all return our prints and demand replacements, on the grounds of intolerable cruelty! [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-09-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any word on whether all the prints are like that, or if it's just a certain batch or what?

Generally, that's an editorial decision on how the negative is cut, and would affect all release prints. It's upstream of the lab.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-09-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Odds are it affects all prints. Just look at the optical track before you make your cuts like I explained on the link and you will be able to verify.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screening my print now. I printed the link re:frame cutting, so hopefully I have my cut correct. I cut in 18 frames from the cut line on R6.

Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of sounding stupid, that would be 18 frames into reel 6 from the first frame with an image correct? Ill be screening a print of this tomorrow morning before opening & i had cut my print one frame before the "splice here" at the end of R5 & one frame into R6. So if I detect this sound hiccup tomorrow morning Ill want to go 17 more frames into R6, cut & splice there?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you need to lose the first 16 frames of reel 6 to make it line up properly. From your description, you left an "ID" frame at the head and tail around the splice, which accounts for 2 frames. [Wink]

Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 02:59 AM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just cut one frame for ID, as while I was taught to cut two it kinda bugs me when I get used prints & instead of removing older splices people have just kept hacking off another 2 or 3 frames (in some miniscule way I've convinced myself i've managed to skightly retard the above complaint, although I may myself be the only thing retarded here [Big Grin] )

Thanks for the help.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2003 06:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever taught you to cut two ID frames needs to be taken to the roof of the theater, tossed over the side into the dumpster, then compacted. Never, ever cut more than one.

This reel 5 to 6 splice is an extremely rare screwup.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 09:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No whoever originaly taught the persons before him should be taken to the roof. All others are just a bi-product of the originals stupidity. As far as ID framis on the movie in question. you don't need one on the end of reel five. Just cut it were it says cut here.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically (is that how it is spelled?) when the print that I watched was built up, I was called over to marvel that there was an explicit cut line, which we both thought was a great idea. that indication did determine where the cut was made.

When that print was screened that night in SDDS, there was no repetition of dialog. So I guess SDDS buildings luck out in this case.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 01:55 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built this print and did notice the "hiccup" in sound when I screened it. But I did not attempt to fix it because I really didn't know what to do to correct it and I did not want to make things worse.

quote:
Since the beginning of reel 6 has no visual action, I feel this is this the better alternative.
I thought the end of R5 had black and R6 starts imediately with a scene???

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2003 02:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
SDDS and DTS have different offset points, so they could luck out as apparently SDDS did. There is no way to check this visually without running it.

Visual "action". In other words, nothing was moving.

Michael Swarbrick
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Michael Swarbrick   Email Michael Swarbrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller said:
quote:
This reel 5 to 6 splice is an extremely rare screwup.
Except I've found another film with one! It's Beyond Borders (new Angelina Jolie film). You know there's gonna be trouble when they put a reel change during the credits! The print I had was too important and I was told not to cut any ID frames off, so taking off 10 frames or so was out of the question too, the director was watching the show.

To avoid the sound hiccup though, cut the tail of the previous reel (Reel 7, I think) at the last changeover cue, which is easily visible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: