Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A New THX Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A New THX Trailer
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 01:03 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found the story at ComingSoon.net

THX Trailer

THX Debuts New Theatrical Trailer for 20th Anniversary Source: THX Ltd. Tuesday, October 7, 2003

To commemorate its 20th anniversary and celebrate its achievements in the cinema industry, THX Ltd. announced today that it is launching a new theatrical trailer in THX Certified Cinemas worldwide. Developed by some of the most respected names in visual effects and sound design, the new THX trailer incorporates sound clips from memorable moments in motion pictures of the last 20 years. The trailer will be distributed to THX Certified Cinemas starting this fall.

"THX cinema trailers have become tremendously popular among moviegoers. Audiences anxiously await our signature 'Deep Note' crescendo; it creates a sense of anticipation and eagerness for the feature presentation," said Ann Brighouse, director of marketing at THX Ltd. "This, the 11th cinema trailer we've produced, is especially memorable because it celebrates our achievements in the film and entertainment industry, and recognizes how we've improved the presentation quality of many great films over the past 20 years."

To create the 20th anniversary trailer, THX assembled a team of visual effects artists and sound designers from the world of feature filmmaking. They included Gary Rydstrom, the seven-time Academy AwardŽ winning sound designer; Van Ling, the renowned visual effects supervisor and DVD producer; and Steve Boeddeker, a sound designer from Skywalker Sound. Working with THX, the team conceptualized the visuals and selected the seventeen clips for the trailer from thousands of potential sound clips. The result is a treat for the senses. The heart-pumping montage of sound clips, drawn from some truly great moments in filmmaking, peaks with the THX "Deep Note."

"Sound designer Gary Rydstrom's idea was to go back to the roots of THX in film sound presentation, and create an audio montage of movie moments that would stir one's memories and emotions," said Van Ling. "Creating supportive visuals to the sound mix -- rather than the other way around -- gave us a chance to show the evocative power of sound and how THX has been there to help reflect the filmmakers' vision to the audience."

This sounds mighty interesting.

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-08-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it's Creative?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-08-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck Ya! 17 clips. That'll be a long trailer. But in a good way. Waiting patiently to see it... [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-2003 01:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having trouble with my Sound Blaster card. Can anyone help me fix it? I hear that Sound Blasters are really not supposed to work, and certainly not supposed to work [u]well[/u]. Should I just stick with the Yamaha sound card that has worked fine for me instead? The Sound Blaster can not even input and output sound simulataneously. How wimpy is that?

PS - The [u]underline[/u] tags seem to be broken.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an ivite to the launch of the new trailer, its called 'Bounty'
The invite card is cool, when you open it, the 'deep note' plays!

Im awaiting prints of it later this month.

Darren

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why oh why can't we get THX certification. I want to see that trailer!!

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-08-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope they can fit the audio for it on DTS CD-ROMs --instead of pulling a DD-only "Cimarron" type of thing.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The THX Bounty logo will be compiled into the DTS trailer lineup.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,

Better if You buy a MacIntosh.....

I don't understand nothing on theses damned PC....

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-09-2003 09:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Sound Blaster can not even input and output sound simulataneously.
Maybe it's time to upgrade your ten year old SB.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the recent thread about the lack of a good DTS trailer, maybe DTS should ride on these coattails and have a specially-branded version done for them...

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this trailer this evening. I found it very confusing...just some seemingly random dialog. It took awhile to figure out what was going on. A clever idea, but it wasn't very impressive. Also, Deep Note did not seem to go very deep. The whole thing sounded very very flat.

Played using Dolby Digital.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it this evening on the front of "LOTR: The Return of the King". I wish the trailer were a little more visual. But the concept was pretty fun, to a point. The fact I could instantly identify the movies used for nearly all the sound snippets shows I really have no life (gotta get laid or something otherwise my brain is just going to rot).

I'll second the view about lack of bass on the "deep note" part (the show I was watching was playing in DTS; I don't think the 5.1 audio was on the discs).

As to DTS copying the same concept, I really wonder why they haven't done something like that already. Even if they had to just stick with Universal releases from 1993 to present they would have a decent number of surround oriented titles from which to choose ("Jurassic Park," "Apollo 13," "Gladiator" to name a few).

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the BOUNTY trailer listed on the subscription discs, but ROTK didn't have any THX snipes. Interesante.

AJG

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-19-2003 06:30 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
" THX cinema trailers have become tremendously popular among moviegoers. Audiences anxiously await our signature 'Deep Note' crescendo; it creates a sense of anticipation and eagerness for the feature presentation,"
This guy is freakin dillusional....THX trailers have become TREMENDOUSLY popular. Yah, I hear every day -- patrons coming up saying, "Gee, when is that new THX trailer coming out; I can't wait to see it...why, I'll come and pay full price for any movie that has 'Deep Note' playing with it. I'm just so damn eager to see it!" Puhleeeez, give us a break.

Don;t you just love how these company execs get so full of themselves that it becomes laughable, and the funniest thing is, they are in such a hyped mindset that they actually start to believe their own bullshit. This guy sounds very much like the TI spokesmen when DLP was first unveiled years ago and they ranted on and on about how this was the end of film and theatre projection as we know it. And how it will change mankind forever.

Spare us.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: