Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » National Searchlight carbons origin?

Author Topic: National Searchlight carbons origin?
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using a supply of 7mm X 14inch positive carbons with success for projection. They are part of a lot of old stock I bought some time ago. Judging by the early corrugated cardboard boxes, they could be from as far back as the 1940s. They were made by National but the carbons have 'SEARCHLIGHT' written on them at the end. I'm wondering if any older timers remember seeing these and whether they were actually made for searchlight use, or if this was just a name for their type. They are high intensity carbons and burn just the same as any other I've used. Any carbons I've seen used for searchlights have been much thicker and not copper coated resembling low intensity type. Can anyone throw some 'light' on the subject?

|  IP: Logged

William H. Ward
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 03:18 PM      Profile for William H. Ward   Email William H. Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Warren.... I've seen some modified projection arc-lamps aboard some ships (older) mounted alongside the bridge on both sides. These lamps were Brenkert Enarc with the front casting modified with a larger opening (18-24 inches). Assumption is they burned either the 6 x 7mm or 7 x 8mm trim. The carbons made for them were probably marked SEARCHLIGHT. The arc color temperture was the same as regular projection arcs (5500 deg K.)The only other carbons I've seen for searchlight use is a 10mm x 18"black positive used on Navy search & rescue aircraft in the late 50's, and on some 36" searchlights on navy ships. Also the large 72" searchlight you still see today. That burns the 5/8" positive with a 1/2" neg at 190amps and/or the 16mm x 28" positive carbon with a 9/16" negative at 225amps. All those carbon trims were marked "NATIONAL" "SEARCHLIGHT". These carbons are very expensive to buy. Of course, most high intensity light sources today are all xenon. Not as DRAMATIC as a carbon arc..

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you William. The fact that you say the larger carbons were marked 'Searchlight' suggests that mine were also made for this purpose. It's most unlikely that National would have been inconsistent with their markings.

As you say, they are the same colour temperature as projection carbons and burn just as well. The only difference is that the copper coating may be very slightly thinner. This could be the result of the period in which they were made however, rather like 'Victory' carbons during the war. I'm under running them at 40 amps and they are fine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: