Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Oil substitution for Pro 35? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oil substitution for Pro 35?
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got it it all back together with new gaskets and seals this weekend; I'm ready to fill it up and turn it on.

I have no oil yet. My local cinema dealer requires a $25 order for Strong, and I have no use for the huge amount of Ballantyne oil that would get me.

Does anyone know of any types of oil that I could pick up at the auto parts store that would work well in my Pro35? The stuff Strong sells is probably just repackaged motor oil....

Danny

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-05-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use Simplex/Century oil

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oooh,, nice. I happen to have a can of Century oil here.

Danny

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think its a good idea to switch oils. We have Simplex and Pro 35 and had problems if the wrong one is used. One oil is heavy than the other.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-05-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex XL oil is lighter than the century standard simplex (used for e7's and supers)
The Pro35 originally was speced at SAE20 which is the same as Century/Simplex standard oil

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-05-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think for an oil bath situation there should not be a problem unless it revolves around the head leaking oil for some reasone do to it being thinner. Now for simplex you do not want to get a thicker oil in there because the pump will have trouble pumping it through the filter and through the tubing to the splash. It will also give trouble with lubricating the intermittent if the oil is to thick.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 07:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too recommend Simplex oil for Simplex equipment. However, in a pinch, one may use Chevron GST oil ISO 32. Darryl is correct about the Simplexes in that too thick of oil equals too many dollars in repairs.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is all well and good to say simplex oil for simplex but remember
Simplex XL's/P35 and the like use a lighter oil than the standard, the super or the E7
The later is a SAE 20 same as century and the Pro35
THe XL was a capella oil of approximately SAE15

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-11-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
The present X-L oil is a SAE 9 weight, we recently had some analyzed. The only other oil I'd use in a PRO?35, Century, or DP-70 situation is LaVezzi Oil which is synthetic and by far the best oil there is for either of those applications. Its also by far the beest oil for use on shaft seals. You will also notice that any mechanism thats run with it will run much quieter than it will using regular oils.
Mark

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you don't have to order $25 worth of just oil.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-11-2003 10:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats for sure....another half dozen coupler bobbins would certainly keep em running for a while.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2003 11:03 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will never use that Lavezzi crap We tried and found it inconsistent for weight from order to order
Non of these machines were designed for anything but a mineral based oil
Also at SAE9 no wonder there is much leaking going on

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-11-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....back to the oil thing again, eh?

Danny, I have heard somewhere that 10W40 motor oil was specified. Then it was LaVezzi. Then it was Simplex or Century.

Personally, I have been using Texaco WF-32 in the Pro-35's for 20 years and never had an oil related lubrication problem with it. It was only 11 bucks a gallon.

I would suggest you contact Strong International and ask them what they are using.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-11-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
Not sure who's doing your oil tests but I'd have to say they sure don't seem to be doing something correctly....all the LaVezzi stuff I've used is very consistant, and consistantly provides a quieter running mechanism. LaVezzi synthetic is compatable with equivelent mineral based oils used for the same purpose. Its also great when used to lubricate Simplex lateral guide rollers...they will never stick again.

We have very few leaks with our X-L rebuilds with the 9 weight mineral based oil that Strong is now supplying. With older X-L's, no matter what oil you use, it goes right through the extremely porus castings. Powder coating the castings and proper installation of the seal kit will slow it to a drop every now and then.
Mark @ CLACO

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at Disney we use a substitute, Mobil DTE 24. It has been used for however long we have been using Ballantyne's in either the Pro 35 or the 70MM.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: