Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where To Buy Alignment Films

Author Topic: Where To Buy Alignment Films
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-03-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This subject is everywhere on the board... but sources are scarce.
Where are you guys getting you loop stock? There's no mention of availability (at least not that I can find) on the Dolby site, and the SMPTE site seems useless.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 10:31 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get mine test loops from American Cinema Equipment in Portland, Oregon.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-04-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I order them through International Cinema Equipment (ICECO) in Miami.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-04-2003 07:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SMPTE sells test films like the 35-PA (RP40) in ROLL lengths, not loops. Here is the direct link for e-mail ordering of the available films:

http://www.smpte.org/smpte_store/test_materials/

Some test films are "out of stock", as a suitable manufacturer for them has not been found.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most dealers stock larger amounts of test film. This would include both SMPTE,and Dolby test materials.
Mark @ CLACO

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 01:30 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did look at the ICECO's online catalog (the pdf one) and all of their website and didn't find anything about the test films..
did I miss something? [Confused]
I'm in the need of those films and I can't find someone that'll sell me some where I am [Frown]

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 01:37 AM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just give them a call or send an Email. They arn't open on the weekends but they do stock a lot of stuff that isn't present in their catalog.

Also, Cinema Service & Supply will sell test film in 10' sections. www.cssinc.com not sure if they are on the website but the owner will be back from ShoEast this weekend so send him an email.

-Chris

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-05-2003 03:05 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that *several* of us tried to help Luciano with this a few nights ago but nothing we suggested was workable, according to him.

Money orders, credit cards, cashier's check, wire transfer -- you name it.

Luciano maybe if someone is flying over to the U.S. sometime soon you might consider giving them some cash and then they could easily use a service like Western Union and wire-transfer the money to a dealer for you. You'd get your stuff in the mail.

It would probably be a good idea to work everything out in advance so that you could send enough $$$ for the purchase and the shipping fees as well.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know many people that were online in the chat room some days ago pointed me some ways to get them, one was ICECO and I did look at their website and catalog but didn't find, as sugested here in this thread, I'll email them requesting info and prices also what kind of payment they accept.
The major problem I have right now is about the payment, my CC doesn't allow me to do international transactions.what has worked for me all this time is money order (the postal ones) but last time I went to the post office here to send one, they told me the US isn't accepting any money order from other places , is that true?
Do it tru a bank , I'd do but the bank people here loves to turn a simple thing into a living hell [Roll Eyes]
There's someone here I worked for ( and now regret very much having done that and even went to that place long ago) for some time, that have these films but doesn't want to sell me some ft of them,saying that they don't have ah ha.. just look up to the shelves and they're there.. allright..
It's not that I don't want to get my lazy rear out of the chair and do the things, I do..and will do as soon as I find a way to do those kind of thinsg without having to go tru a lot of "red tape" ( paperworks and all that BS..) [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-05-2003 04:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICECO will accept PayPal as payment. Chances are you can use PayPal in your country with your credit card.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/approved_countries-outside

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh! seems that paypal is available here now ( first time I checked their site it wasn't)
Thanks Daryl!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: