Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is the largest screen possible with today's lamphous and 35 mm technology? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is the largest screen possible with today's lamphous and 35 mm technology?
Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Title says it all. I'm just wondering if anything approaching IMAX size is even possible with a 35mm projector.

I assume the lamp technology is there. The hinderence I think of is the lenses.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-02-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The limitation is the film itself 35mm wide the size of a postage stamp
It has a fixed amount of resolution
and can handle a finite amount of heat aka light
35mm really shouldn't be asked to make a scope picture bigger than 48-52'

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-02-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are limited only by the lamp wattage and the throw distance. Remember the larger the screen, the more might energy required to illuminate it to the proper brightness levels. The largest xenon lamp that can be safely run with 35mm film is 7000W. Scope will be a bit brighter than flat for a given set of parameters. The shorter the throw, the more wattage you will need to light up a very large screen. Keep the throw long, and you can use longer lenses. Huge screens with short throws are very difficult to do right with 35mm. To completely fill an IMAX screen would be near impossible to do because of vignetting issues and lamp wattage.

-Aaron

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-03-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is probably some way to do it with a Cinefocus gate hooked up to a source of refrigerated air.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was driving and I saw our old abandoned drive in screen and I thought... why can't we put a screen that size in the auditorium? I feel as do most it seems, that larger screens are the future of cinema. If you sit on the back row of many theatres, it's litterally not much different than watching my parent's 55" Mitsubishi 16x9 hidef tv.

I hear everyday people talking about how such and such movie will be great but that they are waiting for the DVD. It seems that more and more every day only the big big big movies(LOTR, Matrix, SW, etc.) are really catching people's interest in the long run. Before we did our lamphouse upgrades, EPII looked 100 times better on our hidef than it did at our theatre. This is likely the case at many theatres.

IMAX is in the drivers seat with all the digital mastering going on. Since they can get those movies early now I can see that they may litterally replace what we think of as the cinema. However, it totally cuts off the edges of the picture. Even flat is wider than IMAX. Nothing beats the original Star Wars in scope. To me even IMAX wouldn't.

So, I just kinda got off in my what if mode wondering what if there was IMAX size for those who need something more than what is currently offered, while retaining widescreen for those of us who have that odd emotional attatchment to 2.35:1.

I guess now is a good time to be thinking about it... someone will be the guy who infuses old time life back into the industry. I just hope we don't have to compromise some of the things that TV has compromised for so long.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-03-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, maybe somebody should develop a 70mm system for regular theatres. [Wink]

You don't need digital technology to make 'big' movies. You just need some extra money for the extra film and the equipment to show it.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-03-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was driving and I saw our old abandoned drive in screen and I thought... why can't we put a screen that size
in the auditorium?

Measure the throw distance betweenn the booth and the screen at the drive-in. Then you will know why screens that size aren't feasable for an indoor... Unless you had a several hundred foot throw (read: really huge, long auditorium-effectively placing a drive-in inside of an auditorium and installing seating), you aren't gonna get it to work with 35mm.

-Aaron

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 12:03 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of large screens in NYC theaters and they all look pretty good, although I don't know what the throw distance is and I don't know the focal length of the projections lenses that they're using.

Loew's Lincoln Square has a 62.5' screen, I assume on screen #1 ("The Loews"), but it's curved.
The Loews Kips Bay screen #10 and Loews E-Walk screens #12 and #13 have a 62' screen.
Loews Astor Plaza claims to have a 61' screen (seats around 1440), but that screen has never seemed that large to me.
Clearview's Ziegfeld (about 1530 seats) has a 52' screen.

I cant swear that they're all using every last inch of the width, even with Scope.

----
And the formula for lens/screen width/throw, etc. is : F*W=D*A where F=focal length of the lens in inches, W=Width of the screen in feet, D=Distance in feet, A= aperture in inches.

Alan Haigh
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 12:27 PM      Profile for Alan Haigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do longer lenses need less wattage? I thought wattage was determined by screen size only, not throw.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-03-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The venerable Edwards Big Newport allegedly has an 80' screen. Although I haven't seen a 35mm show there in a long time, my recollection is 35mm didn't look too bad on it, as long as you didn't sit too close. LOTR:FOTR looked "ok" on the Cinerama Dome screen, better than I would have expected. But then "acceptable" isn't the same as "optimal".

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would a screen size of 100' be pushing it for 5/70 films?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multiplex Arcadia in Italy ( here) has a wondeful 98feet perlux screen.

I saw many films there, they have Vic 8 with 10.000 W xenon. Light was always perfect. And image too has a fantastic quality, compared to the dimensions of the screen.

Bye
A

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-04-2003 07:42 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6000 and 7000 watt lamps are the largest normally used for 35mm projection. With proper heat filtration, good lamphouse focus and alignment (no "hot spotting"), efficient lenses, proper use of a curved gain screen, and water-cooled gate, you should be able to meet Standard SMPTE 196M on a 60 x 25 foot scope image, or perhaps even larger. There have been recent advances in lens design, lamphouse optics, and screen surfaces that allow even more efficient utilization of the light.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/fall97.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/winter97.shtml

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I was helping out has a 50' wide (scope) curved screen. With a curved screen, it really doesn't look like it's 50' wide because measurement is the actual length of the screen material. The actual width of the screen frame is less because it's curved.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-04-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The apparent width of the image depends upon the curve used, and how far from the screen you are sitting. A gain screen should be curved per SMPTE Recommended Practice RP 95, ideally by ray tracing, to reflect the light back to the primary seating area. In most cases, it will not be the deep curve associated with Cinerama, but somewhat shallower.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: