Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS DFP-R2000 reader making strange noise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SDDS DFP-R2000 reader making strange noise
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a DFP-R2000 that makes a strange high-pitched buzzing noise as the film plays. Sounds like it is coming from the large sprocket, or one of the rollers near it. I can not figure out what it is. Suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the sprocket teeth for "hooking" (undercutting)? Use a magnifying glass or a flat lens reversed to check them. I beleive these sprockets can be reversed if this is the case.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hooking is a very common problem with these sprockets. Reversing the sprocket will work for a while, but eventually it will start to mess up again.

Is the SDDS dropping out also?

I usually file down the hooks with a fine grade metal file. Eventually the sprocket will need to be replaced.

Also make sure that the teeth are not touching the sides of the perforations. Sometimes people just throw the sprockets back on and align the film with the outside flange, but if you look at the inboard side you will see that the film is scraping agains the side of the perforations. I think that is what causes the hooking, but I could be wrong about that.

However, you say it is a high pitched noise, seems to me that it would be a bearing going out. Check the bearings on all the rollers. The easiest way grab the roller and stop it, if the sound goes away then that is the bad bearing.

Hope it helps.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't sound like it is the roller itself, it sounds like the film rubbing against something very rapidly, thus the high pitch. I just got home. I will check the above mentioned items tomorrow.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-01-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a "squeaking" noise? Don't all SDDS readers (or at least all the 2000-series ones) make that noise?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sprockets are usually pretty noisy, but it's not high pitch. As I mentioned before, the only high pitch noise I have ever heard is when a bearing is going out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thread the film one sprocket LESS tension than the red lines indicate and report if the noise goes away. (Note your SDDS may not play back properly when threaded that way if the reader was not specifically aligned for it, but it will greatly help in troubleshooting your problem.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, We have an upgraded version of that sprocket for the DFPR-2000 reader. Its alumnium, exactly like the original, made by the same people. The difference is that its hard coated black. Life will be at least double and probably triple of the original. These hardcoated sprockets make little to no noise at all!! We sell them for about half of what Sony wants for them.
Mark @ CLACO

CLACO Equipment And Service
1212 South State St.
Salt Lake City, UT 84110
801-355-1250 M to F - 9 AM to 5 PM

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, thanks! If that turns out to be the problem, I'll mention it to our owner. In order to convince him to buy them, I need to know this: is this noise just an anoyance, or is it causing film damage?

Anyway, I don't think it matters much. I believe we are going to be dropping Sony altogether and going all Dolby.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thread the film one sprocket LESS tension than the red lines indicate and report if the noise goes away.
How do I do this?

I examined the sprocket, and there doesn't appear to be any undercutting. (I did not have a magnifying glass at my disposal, but I took a good close look with my flashlight.)

[quote]Also make sure that the teeth are not touching the sides of the perforations. Sometimes people just throw the sprockets back on and align the film with the outside flange, but if you look at the inboard side you will see that the film is scraping agains the side of the perforations. I think that is what causes the hooking, but I could be wrong about that.[quote]

This may be the problem. How can you tell, and how is it fixed?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-02-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thread the reader as normal, then open up the top pad roller and feed the sounddrum one more perforation of film. The two tension arms won't be "bouncing" anymore, but the film won't be slack either.

I wouldn't recommend moving that sprocket or any of the lateral guide rollers. The slightest movement can kill the unit's ability to track. You need a scope for that.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excessive hooking of the teeth may cause excessive dust to accumulate and or excessive jitter in the data.
Mark

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-17-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2145 days since the last post.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if this sprocket from LaVezzi is the replacement for the SDDS DFP-R2000?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is the correct one. Best to get it black anodized however as its a bare alumnium sprocket. Its life span without anodize will then be measured in just weeks of use!!! Just a simple black anodize should see a years life span out of it, possibly more depending on how many shows a day and so on. I reccomend to get at lewast two of them and have them anodized at the same time. Most plating/anodize houses charge a minimum and then you'd just be paying the minimum charge. Tell them to plug the three holes... The main bore both sides and the threaded hole.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: