Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby "Stomp" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby "Stomp"
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick question about this trailer. Am I correct in assuming that since it does not actually feature the DD logo, just the standard Dolby logo, that it would not be false advertising to play this in a Dolby-equiped analog house?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-30-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't gotten mine yet.

If all it says is "Dolby" -- that is, it does not say "Digital" -- then I would go right ahead and play it in the analog houses as well as the digital ones provided that the processor is actually a Dolby unit.

I think all the trailers should be like this because the "Temple" trailer was born old.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, makes me want to put an Ultra Stereo trailer on prints in our analog houses. Now THAT is an old trailer...I don't even remember anything about it except the Ultra Stereo logo. We still have 2 of them I think.

AJG

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Stomp is on the head of every film here at Show East. We will get tired of it very fast.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 12:26 AM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 10-03-2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Steven Privett ]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-01-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The stomp trailer ends with just the dolby logo and no reference to digital, so I can't think of a reason not to run it in analog. It does get old fast.

BTW, I absolutely MUST get my hands on some Ultra-Stereo trailers. Where can I get them? I was planning on getting some JBL ones to run on my Ultra Stereos, but since USL makes there own trailer...

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 05:02 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

Anyone know a price for a copy in the UK?

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 05:20 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had a few copies for a couple of months now, currently screening on 'Calendar Girls'.
Contacts you see!
Yes it just says Dolby, and Dolby Labs 2003, Stomp. But the bass slam on the final few 'Stomps' will sound a little less impressive in SR.

Michael,
Suspect they will be the normal price, £36 quid is it? Jack Roe etc.
Make sure you keep em clean as there white! PTR rollers do a fine job at keeping them looking like new every show!

Darren

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as Darren says, it doesnt sound quite as impressive in SR as it does in Digital. I've been playing it with Underworld, Matchstick Men (both of which have been moving between SR and Digital screens), and it'll be on Down With Love and Bad Boys 2 tomorrow.

Still prefer "City" though!

Michael, as I've discussed elsewhere, try calling Dolby marketing department at Wooton Bassett first, as they might be willing to send some out to you. It's listed as "Dolby Perspectives". Failing that, Darrens prices are correct from either Jack Roe or Sound Associates.

Dan

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 05:55 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I saw it, I thought it was a GAP commercial at first. I thought, " [Roll Eyes] Oh Great... it looks like they are bringing back rolling stock."
I thought it was pretty cool. I wonder why they did not make it a digital trailer?

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its also in Surround EX according to the Leader.

Darren.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-02-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought it was a Target commercial when I first saw it.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Dolby charge for this particular trailer? I know that their other marketing materials, including trailers, are free. The reason I ask is becuase we have about four or so of the Stomp trailer, and my GM said they cost about $50 apeice. I told him he was nuts and that they are absolutely free, but he said that's what our owner said. So I started wondering if for some reasone there is a special case with Stomp.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 03:19 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, these are grouped in with the other free trailers as far as I know.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-10-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, if you order the trailers thru a dealer, there will be a charge.

I have to admit, I have also exaggerated the cost of sound trailers to encourage booth operators to take care of them. In the past, they wouldn't take care of them when they knew they were free.

But the truth is that all of Dolby's logo trailers are available to Dolby-equipped theatres for free (if you order thru Dolby Marketing). They even pay for the shipping. [Big Grin]

There used to be a charge for the "Mancini" trailer but I don't think they offer that anymore, so it's a non-issue.

Also, the "City" trailer (with the helicopter) is not currently in release -- but there was never a charge for this, AFAIK.

If there are any limitations at all, I think there is an annual allocation of trailers based on the number of processors you have registered with Dolby. Maybe your processors aren't registered?

I would sit down with the manager and ask him if he has any problems with the idea of running sound snipes. Some managers hate them and will say *anything* to prevent them from being shown. If he's got no issues with the trailers then tell him that you would like to contact Dolby Marketing and verify that the equipment is registered so that you can get the *free* trailers and other goodies (posters, plaques). The registration form comes with the equipment but it is also available as a download from the Dolby website.

BTW, I just got an email yesterday from Dolby Marketing and they are getting ready to ship my trailers. I'm always excited to get new logo trailers. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: