Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby tone on tail pieces

Author Topic: Dolby tone on tail pieces
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With new development of the analogue track to cyan and the continued requirement to maintain correct Dolby level, I was wondering what the reaction would be to the following suggestion.

If a few seconds of Dolby tone were printed on the tail of the last reel of features, it would provide a ready reference for projectionists to check the level. Simply a glance at the meters as the tail is going through, would provide confirmation. When the processor is switched to non sync the meters are still fed with film audio as the switching is at a later stage in the system.

Now this may not suit Dolby Labs who may argue the need for a higher standard of quality control of all test films than would be provided by printing tone on a tail. The benefit of convenience however, I think is worth considering. More regular checks might be made by some projectionists if it doesn't involve threading a loop at the start of the day.

If the level is down, projectionists could still use a loop to make an adjustment, but if ready with a screwdiver it is feasible that an adjustment could be made in about five seconds.
Given the length of some tail pieces five to eight seconds of tone seems possible.

Now some may argue that projectionist would cut sections of the tail off for loops and before long there would be inadequate protection for the print with tails getting shorter and shorter. I believe that if tone were printed on EVERY tail piece there would be such a constant fresh supply that projectionists wouldn't bother.

If projectionists want a loop, film companies with whom I deal, would I know, be pleased to give away the tail pieces at the time a print is junked. This portion of the print as well as the leader in mosts cases hasn't seen a projector and is in perfect condition.

Now why should the film companies bother? Well, it's the quality standard or their product which may be enhanced. Also, now that we don't have to feel guilty about spoiling the environment by asking for a bit of optical track, [Wink] this would be good public relations for certain sections of the industry who stand to save costs from producing cyan tracks. Any help to exhibitors who have had to pay for conversions may be appropriate at this time.

Please restrict comment to the merit of of the scheme rather than further debate on the merit of cyan tracks..

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really the problem here is that if you do see a problem with the dolby tone you are going to need a loop of it to allow the time to set and adjust each left and right pot for propper levels. Sonce this loop would be needed it would be just as simple to check all the machines with the one loop on a routine basis.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-26-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the good folks at Dolby Labs will just produce a special version of Cat. 69T and 69P with cyan dye tracks and we could buy 50' lengths (or whatever) as usual.

Maybe Cat. 69TC and 69PC? [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-27-2003 04:05 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe such testing material could be provided with the purchase of red readers? They are expensive enough.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-27-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it sounds like a good idea, I don't think it would ever be implemented. Probably would not be cost effective. It is very difficult to get a good Dolby Calibration without using a continous loop.

A person wouldn't even have enough time for the screwdrivergetwitzen phase on the trim pots before the tone is gone.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1st it sin't needed as there is hardly any perceptable level diffence in a led equipped theatre between a cyan and conventional print
2nd this was proposed in the days of the varrying magtrack of having the prints pinknoise on the head and tone on the tail,and it was brought up that it would be pretty bad sounding if it got played through the system with a tailing out of a print

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-27-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon said
quote:
it was brought up that it would be pretty bad sounding if it got played through the system with a tailing out of a print
If you missed a change-over and let the playout be heard throuh the system, it sounds pretty awful anyway, in fact, pink noise might actually be preferred to the usual gack that you hear, at least on optical tracks. Mag tends to contain less junk, although on a print of THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, the playout treats you to the sound of a sound mixer's voice announcing the title, reel and production numbers!

I think Warren answered the main reason putting tones and p/n on prints didn;t catch on, and that because they are not reference material. You wouldn't want to start recalibrating the CP based on a print that was off spec. If the A-chain calibration becomes suspect playing a particular print, then an SMPTE test loop should be threaded to check the processor, not a release print where the values are not verified. Granted, if the processor were recalibrated to any reference audio on a particular print, you might be ahead of the game for that print, but if it was not quite on spec, then everything else that played on that system thereafter would be in error.

Frank

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thankfully several 70mm prints did have tone and noise on the head and tail as it was the only surviving test film fot the titles in question

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I always thought that test material was readily available from SMPTE. I have rolls of 70mm test material that MGM made by using what appears to be scrap reels of BEN HUR. They just re-recorded ref tones on the mag stripes. I can't remember if there is pink noise too, but definately there are tones of various frequencies. Anyone need to borrow some of this stuff? Let me know.

Frank

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though both Dolby and SMPTE wrote standards for level and frequency response most of the post recording facilities had there own
As such almost every 70mm release in the 70's and 80's came with noise and tone recorded at the time the prints were sounded
Even though the level did get "standardized" finally it was not uncommon to find a particular release being vastly different

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 09:32 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps for the comments. It seems from the response that the concept of Dolby tone on tail pieces is regarded as a non starter. I think the points you've made are valid, however there are some aspects which I didn't mention which may raise further debate. I realise also, that there is very little in the film industry that hasn't been thought of before.

The main idea of recording Dolby tone on tail pieces, was that it would provide quick and CONVENIENT CONFIRMATION of correct Dolby level. If there appeared to be a recalibration required then, as I said, a test loop could be played. I accept that an ajustment made during the playing of the tail (depending upon length) could be difficult.

Also as I stated, the tone recorded on the tail piece might not be regarded as being of high enough standard to be used as a reference, although it was hoped that with a constant supply of fresh stock, the tone level would be fairly accurate. Now here lies an aspect, which I thought some one might pick up on.

The significant factor, is that if the tone played on the tail was out, and, as Frank said
quote:
if the processor were calibrated to any reference on a particular print, you might be ahead of the game for that print, but if it was not quite on spec, then everything that played on that system thereafter would be in error
Frank you are absolutely right. But let's think outside the square. If it became apparent that audio levels on films were not up to spec due to processing faults or fading over a period of time, wouldn't you like to know that you have the means by which you can ensure your system decodes the SR correctly for that film? It could mean borrowing a tail piece from another reel for a loop, but at least your system wouldn't be producing Dolby tracking errors for that particular title. A correction to standard Dolby level could be made for the next film.

Let me state that I'm NOT SAYING THAT CYAN TRACKS ARE GOING TO FADE but then I'm not saying that they're not either. As one writer has correctly stated "the sky hasn't fallen down" on the release of the first film in cyan, however, I prefer to have an open mind. I'm NOT entering into the contraversy. What I CAN say on the subject of longivity of the tracks is, the jury is still out and will be so for some years.

Now the concept of specing a reproducer to a particular recording which might require an adjustment for the next title may seem ridiculous. The fact is, that the practice has existed in the television industry for 50 years. Colour bars and tone are recorded at the beginning of productions routinely, so that tone, luminence and chroma levels can be checked and adjusted before replay.

If a similar practice were adopted for film, projectionists could continued to check with Dolby loops as routine, but tone on the tail might indicate a fault in the print. A difference in amplitude between the tail and a reliable test film would suggest such a fault and a decision could be made as to whether the system should be optimised for that particular title or not.

All of this assumes that Dolby tone is recorded on the tail as part of the master mix. There would be no point in having tone that was not referenced to that particular production's sound mix. On the subject of cost, which has been raised, the film stock for the tail is already required. It does means that the sound mixer has to press a button designated 'tone' on the sound desk and check the level. Not exactly a major expense. I wouldn't mind a dollar for every time I've done it in the last 26 years.

Ultimately, this is all about providing added convenience and knowlege for the projectionist. It also means that monitoring of analogue sound track amplitude of prints on circuit, would for the first time, be possible. This could provide a measure of deterioration , IF ANY, over a period of time and at least a chance to some extent, correct such.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-29-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem with recording a tone on tail and fading of tracks
The density of tracks is very consistent and the width of the modulation is the level and that is consistent even in respect to printer error
Cross mod on the tail would be far more valuable as it is directly effected by a possible fading of print density or printer exposure error

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-30-2003 04:53 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren,
quote:
Now the concept of specing a reproducer to a particular recording which might require an adjustment for the next title may seem ridiculous. The fact is, that the practice has existed in the television industry for 50 years.
....and in the recording and radio industry as well. When I worked for the LaBrie FM Radio Network -- a production house that produced prepackaged programing for FM stations -- we used to put a full 60 sec. of 12kHz tone and 30 sec of 10kHz as well as 60 sec of 25hz (for triggering automation) on all our copies in the mastering/duplicating studio so that azimuth alignment could be made to that copy at the playback machine when necessary. We prided ourselves on having the recording machines aligned as perfectly as possible, but in the rare event that one was off a bit, the station could make azimuth adjustments so that they didn't get flanging in their mono composite.

My reservation about doing this on theatrical release prints was due to the rather less-than-ideal booth environments in many multiplexs; our tapes were going to FM radio stations where there were engineers who knew how to make azimuth adjustments, and as you said, having a reference on the tape that the engineer could adjust to was a great tool. In the modern projection booth however, where exhibition's Holy Grail is to ELIMINATE any trained technicians who could properly make adjustments for a particularly off-spec print, I would worry about any of the majority of the "projection attendants" (as UA Theatres called them) laying a finger to a calibration tool.

Solution would be to put the ref tone/PN on the print, but never tell booth personnel what it's for....only the circuit technicians should know about it...just like only telephone technicians know all the secret system numbers that call up test routines, like voicing the number of the line they are testing or getting a ring-back signal, etc. Best not to let the masses know about this stuff!

Not only would the reference track be a useful tool (in the right hands) but it could also double as protection leader for the print. I'd put it at the head of the print as well as the tail and with distinctly visible framelines in the image area so the "attendant" can use it for threading, long before the SMPTE sync leader, protecting the print from misthreading damage as well as it being the physical "padding" so desirable for protecting the body of the print -- Brad would only have to add 25ft instead of 50ft protection!

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 01:12 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren,

I THINK IT'S DAMNED FINE IDEA.

I don't want to get into a 3 page discussion, However...

I think that all is required is a 30 second tone on the tail of the LAST reel rather than all of them.

That way when you get radioed that the sound is too low or too high or sounds like crap, you can hang out the processor at the end of the show as the tail plays through and note the levels.

If they are out you can then run a 'real' loop to conferm, if it's the aglignment or that print.

I'd love to say more but I think the basic idea is Brillant.

I was thinking Hmmm maybe I could just add 30ft of tone to the end of each feature (Which I think would run much smoother than a loop and get less damage), but we don't have enough of the stuff for that, and possible forget to remove it at the end of the movies run!

Cheers Bill!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: