Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ASR40 reverse scan into a TA-10

Author Topic: ASR40 reverse scan into a TA-10
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today we just installed our Component Engineering ASR40 reverse scan reader. I want to hook the power supply up to our TA-10 automation. here is the quote from the ASR40 manual:

"A new feature has been included in this power supply for the benefit of those who wish to switch LEDs Off when not needed (every minute Off adds a minute to its life). Shunting between them causes the LED to quickly fade-out, and opening the shunt will cause a quick fade-in. This means that there are no clicks or thumps heard if the audio circuit is live. This control circuit has very low voltage and current."

How do I set this up so that the the supply is turned on at Event 2 and turned off at Event 4. Is it as simple as running the wires from the power supply to the event relays and adding the jumper wires or is there something else that I have to do? I know some of you have experience out there with this. Thanks in advance.
John

|  IP: Logged

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply stated; Yes it is that simple. The Event Relay you use must be normally close (when you want the power supply off) and open when you want the LED to be on. I have no familiarity to the TA-10, but from this you should be able to get the idea.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple way might be to put a 110-volt relay across the motor terminals so that when the motor is on, the exciter comes on.

I seem to recall that this jumper must be REMOVED in order to bring the light on, so one would use the normally closed contacts of the relay.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2003 07:08 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

you should use the utility relay for the function you want. It has a normally open and closed pair. By default when new this relay is set to activate when the shutter is opened, just what you need.

Just wire to the common and the normally closed and your led's will be off until event two, shutter open and show on screen.

The utility relay functions are explained in the manual as it can be configured to work in a number of ways depending on your needs.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that that the utility relay is a high current contact and may not stay clean on the low current of a control loop

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 11:35 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to place a parallel switch to turn the LEDs on when you want to run it by manual. Is that reverse scan feed from a LS-30?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German,
there is no need to insert a switch as the system works in reverse.... Closed contacts = Led's off, Open contacts = Led's on!

Goedon,
you are right that the contacts 'may' become dirty with time, but they will always 'fail' safe, ie with the Led's on so it's not really a problem in this case.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've set the system so I press start the LEDs turns on and turn off when it stop. If I want to run 69T I just run the motor and turn the LEDs on using the switch, [Confused] I don't know other way to turn it on but in case of exist another way, please tell me 'cause I'm wasting [Mad] switches and time.
Thanks.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German,

John seems to have a newer power supply uint than you which works the opposite way to normal. In his case when you turn a switch on, close the contacts, the power supply turns OFF the led's. In your case, if I'm reading it correctly you turn a switch ON and the Led's turn on. Your solution of an extra external switch ia fine.

If John wanted to be able to turn his Led's on at will he could insert a switch in series with the automation wiring to break the circuit and the led's would then turn on. Same idea as you but it works differently.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: