Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Deluxe Hollywood vs. Deluxe Canada

Author Topic: Deluxe Hollywood vs. Deluxe Canada
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-26-2003 04:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of questions that hopefully someone here can answer or give input to.

Certain studios (Paramount, Fox, Miramax, etc) do their printing at Deluxe labs. Sometimes I get prints from these studios from the Hollywood lab. Sometimes I get prints from the Canada lab. Occasionally if I am playing a movie on 2 screens I will get one from each.

Does anyone know if all (or most) of the first run wide releases are printed at both labs, or is it more common to print an entire feature at one or the other? The guys in Canada do a pretty good job with their printing, but the prints coming out of the Hollywood lab are reliably poor. Over recent months we have had those CAP code markings from hell from the Hollywood lab and the registration is just terrible on everything they print.

Is the Canada lab using different model printers? Is the Hollywood lab just running the printers too damn fast? Perhaps they have a blind technician on site who maintains the printers? Does the Hollywood lab just not care?

Finally, is there anyone here who would disagree that the Deluxe Hollywood lab has some real issues with quality control? And does anyone know if there is a way to request on prints struck at both labs to NOT get one from Hollywood? It is really frustrating when I open up the cans and see I have a print from the Hollywood lab. Right off of the bat I know before even unrolling it that my presentation will be less than ideal, and I am getting tired of this nonsense...especially the atrocious CAP coding!

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 07:09 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each of the major labs has multiple locations around the world. The decision of where to make prints is usually made on the basis of "plant loading", involving such factors as release schedules, currency exchange rates, shipping costs, and lab capabilities. One site may make all the prints for the world, or all sites may be used, each making a portion of the print order. It is even possible to make some reels at one site, and the other reels elsewhere.

The printers and processing machines used at each lab vary, and each lab site has a variety of printer types that may be used. So a particular lab site may use multiple printers of different designs on the same feature. Specifics about printer and processing machine design and operating parameters (e.g., transport speed) are considered proprietary by the labs.

Specific comments/questions can be addressed to the Technical Director or Chief Engineer at each lab:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/industry/dyn_labs.shtml

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 08:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't comment on print quality but I do know the Deluxe in Toronto has undergone some remarkable changes over the past 5 years. They have upgraded a good portion of their equipment and invested in new set-ups and QC apparatus as well. It is a very interesting place to visit if you get a chance.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-26-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok John, good idea.

Anyone who finds Deluxe Hollywood prints to routinely have poor quality control, make a post here. If enough people sign this "online petition" (or whatever you want to call it), I will contact the head technician at Deluxe Hollywood and express concern about their overdone CAP coding, registration issues and anything else that is a problem noted here for theaters. I will direct him to this thread as well, for I think it is important for them to see how displeased the projection community is with the quality level of their work.

If that doesn't work, perhaps we'll see about talking to each studio one by one that uses them.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-26-2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you include print numbers and print production time and dates if you can.

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Andrew has stated, Deluxe Canada has had some major improvements recently. We just returned from the Atlantic Motion Picture Exibitor Association meetings in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia. During the meetings, we had a presentation by Joseph Micek, exec V-Pres of Deluxe Canada. The presentation included a run down of the new bulding, that they now operate out of, as well as the new equipment, the improvements to the QC and replacement of "bad prints & reels". Much simplier system to follow (24/7 service... no more waiting for someone to be in the office!) From the sounds of it, Deluxe has made some major inroads at improving their product as well as the customer service. I would say this has a major part to play in Brad's problem.

Mr Micek also went on to explain their methods of tracing pirated movies and their efforts to catch the pirates in the act. Apparently they have a couple of investigations on going that have strong potential at putting a dent in the internet download business. Only time will tell, but from my vantige point, I hope them all luck since it has resulted in reduced business for all of us.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-26-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Make sure you include print numbers and print production time and dates if you can.
No, let's please not do that here. It wouldn't hurt to keep a record off site that can be emailed in later, but since every print I get from there has registration and CAP coding issues, I don't see where specifying one particular print is going to assist much. This is a lab-wide problem.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 04:41 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Micek tries to stay on top of any print issues in theatres. He is one of Deluxe Lab's representatives to the Inter-Society Committee for the Enhancement of Cinema Presentation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-26-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John, please pass this thread along to him at the meeting next week. Something has got to be done.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 04:44 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure he is coming down to ShowEast, but I'll certainly pass it along.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-26-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been very impressed with the quality of the prints coming out of Deluxe Toronto, even going back 5-6 years (when I first started paying attention to such things). The best-looking general release prints (not EK prints, showprints, etc.) seem to come from them, with Tech. Hollywood being a close second.

Answer prints and showprints from Deluxe Hollywood look great, with excellent sharpness and contrast. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about their general release prints, which invariably lack shadow detail and generally seem to be unsharp and unsteady, when compared with prints from Deluxe Toronto, Tech. Hollywod, and their own answer prints and showprints. I can't comment on the CAP-code issues, as I haven't yet seen any of the films that people keep complaining about.

Another issue with Deluxe Hollywood is that their prints normally have extremely short leaders and tails--often, the tails aren't even long enough to make one complete wrap around the outside of a full 6000' reel. That's totally pathetic and I believe violates the SMPTE standard (which I can't verify, since SMPTE charges big $$$ for their standards documents instead of making them available on their web site for free). To be fair, other labs often do this, too, for big releases, but at least their prints look better.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-26-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've mostly noticed the poor registration on Deluxe Hollywood prints. And now with the overdone CAP coding it is getting to the point where showing a Deluxe Hollywood print can actually DEGRADE a theater's reputation in regards to presentation. Deluxe Hollywood simply needs to do better.

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2003 05:01 AM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps someone can explain various print qualities to me.
I have read the document on various printing methods, some was slower and others were much faster. I guess a slow process gives better quality but I am not sure. I understand that quality can vary within a method based on how well it is used.

Can someone please rank film print quality by name of method from best to worst and indicate in which markets a certain print type is used. Note that I am not asking about different laboratories I am asking about the underlying technology.

edit
So please explain
Answer print
EK print
Showprint
I guess that general realease print is what most people get and might be of inferior quality, why?

[ 09-27-2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Mattias Ohlson ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: